1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Over Head Console

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:31 PM
TruckinAL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You had a salvage yard open today ? Lucky you . Well I figured out how I am going to mine. Since I have to remove the headliner anyway, I am going to switch out the complete harness . Which includes the OHC connector it winds up behind the right kick panel

I got one ( harness ) from a 2001 150 it's the exact same as my 97 except for not having the wires . And I have the female connector end with about half foot of wire .I will extract the wires from it and implant them into my harness.

And from the kick panel on to where ever they have to go.

A question for you since you have an Expedition. I have a pair of lighted sun visors from an Expedition where do they splice into ? Meaning what color are the wires ?
Might as well go all the way while I have the headliner out.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:41 PM
Travis S
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Over Head Console

Originally Posted by TruckinAL
You had a salvage yard open today ? Lucky you . Well I figured out how I am going to mine. Since I have to remove the headliner anyway, I am going to switch out the complete harness . Which includes the OHC connector it winds up behind the right kick panel

I got one ( harness ) from a 2001 150 it's the exact same as my 97 except for not having the wires . And I have the female connector end with about half foot of wire .I will extract the wires from it and implant them into my harness.

And from the kick panel on to where ever they have to go.

A question for you since you have an Expedition. I have a pair of lighted sun visors from an Expedition where do they splice into ? Meaning what color are the wires ?
Might as well go all the way while I have the headliner out.
L.Green/Orange (vanity light power, they are ground-switched circuits) is spliced into the dome light's L.Green/Orange wire. The switch in each vanity light goes to ground. I'm not sure where they are grounded,but tapping into the dome light ground is where I'd tap into. It goes to G103

Old 05-30-2016, 07:48 PM
TruckinAL
Senior User
L.Green/Orange (vanity light power, they are ground-switched circuits) is spliced into the dome light's L.Green/Orange wire. The switch in each vanity light goes to ground. I'm not sure where they are grounded,but tapping into the dome light ground is where I'd tap into. It goes to G103

Makes since to me . I'm going out to try it right now . Thanks

Old 05-30-2016, 07:53 PM
Travis S
More Turbo
Over Head Console

Can you post a picture of the OHC inline connector you mentioned? I've become rather adept at de-pinning connectors. When I got my new console setup, I disassembled the vent window harness in order to upgrade and multiplex it to add more switches as I want to add neat stuff like an interior hatch and rear glass release switch, winch control, direct control for my inverter, etc. Everything will be run through a dedicated relay panel too

I also figured out how to replace dead vent window switches (discontinued parts) for next to nothing too

Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 PM
TruckinAL
Senior User
These are after I unpinned the ones not needed leaving the ones needed for the OHC

Attached Images    
Old 05-30-2016, 08:31 PM
TruckinAL
Senior User
Oh another question . Does your Expe have under dash lights meaning like above the kick panels R&L . Id sure like to have those while I'm doing everything else.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Travis S
More Turbo
Over Head Console

No, my truck wasn't equipped with under-dash lights mounted in the kick panels. Never knew it was an option, now you got me thinking...

The connector looks like a standard Ford-type connector, pretty easy to de-pin.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:48 PM
TruckinAL
Senior User
Yes it is easy to de-pin Putz around with my truck for awhile after work and discovered I have to make one more trip to the salvage yard this weekend coming . I have to get the correct female end of the harness at the kick panel . I pulled the wrong one in a hurry trying not to get wet (LOL) Saturday.

While there I am going to look for the under dash lights . Another must have item. If none of the trucks have them I'll pull a pair from a Lincoln Towncar or something. Like the OHC and the lighted visors it's all going to happen (LOL)

Old 06-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Travis S
More Turbo
Over Head Console

When you get them, please document everything. Some clever guys might want to try it too

Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM
TruckinAL
Senior User
Originally Posted by Travis S
When you get them, please document everything. Some clever guys might want to try it too

So far it doesn't seem like anybody interested but you and I (LOL) . I moved around a couple of my Continentals( I have a 92 and a 99 ) tonight and boy I sure miss those under under dash lights. My 89 Towncar has lights under the front seats (LOL)

Old 06-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Travis S
More Turbo
So far it doesn't seem like anybody interested but you and I (LOL) . I moved around a couple of my Continentals( I have a 92 and a 99 ) tonight and boy I sure miss those under under dash lights. My 89 Towncar has lights under the front seats (LOL)
Maybe we're the only clever guys here? Do you happen to have any pictures of where the under-dash lights mount on either the F150/Expy or Continental? My console will be getting modified for more switches and under-dash/seat lights sounds like a useful thing.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:56 AM
Travis S
More Turbo
Something I just noticed is that this schematic is for an 00-05 Excursion, not an 97-02 Expedition/Navigator, which explains why several pins don't line up to what we already know here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nstall-qs.html

I found out that the trip computers have different part numbers as well.
Expedition is F85Z-10D898BA (97-98 2 button), XL1Z-10D898BA (99-02 2 button) or YL1Z-10D898AA (99-02 1 button), while the Excursion is YC3Z-10D898AA (00-01) or 3C7Z-10D898AA (02-05).

The bezel is a XL1Z part though, so it's the same.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:50 PM
kd4gij
Senior User
Well I have been following waiting for some pics. I would like to do this but just for a good place to mount switches and power for lighting and dash cam.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:02 PM
TruckinAL
Senior User
Well I am adding the OHC but no extra switches. The under dash lights will operate like factory then the doors open and close. The interior visor lights will operate when opened. . No extra switches

Old 06-04-2016, 10:16 PM
kd4gij
Senior User
Oh I am not looking for info on adding switches. Just looking for what is needed to mount one in my truck. Switches and wiring I can handle.

Quick Reply: Over Head Console