5.4L F250 Won't Start - PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:00 AM
bigjimd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L F250 Won't Start - PCM?

So I parked my truck (2005 F250 5.4) and it was working fine. The next morning she turns over but absolutely refuses to start. I've messed with it for 6 hours now and am out of ideas.

-Added dry gas thinking maybe gas lines froze up
-Checked all fuses / relays
-Tried starting it on ether (dad's insistance, didn't work)

SO I think it has to be an ignition problem. I don't have any mechanic friends around to give me free advice so I'm turning to you guys. I've googled everything I can think of and it seems the most likely explination is the Powertrain Control Module took a dump?

It was verrrry cold last night. I don't know if that's relevant. I REALLY NEED this truck for work tomorrow so any suggestions are very appreciated. I have a Chilton manual and am working my way down checking everything I can think of.

ALSO the horn is stuck in on all of a sudden. I don't think its relevant. I just pulled the fuse for it and will deal after I get the truck running. THANKS for any tips / advice / links to people that have similar problems.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:41 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would start by scanning for codes. Could be as simple as a crank position sensor.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:14 PM
bigjimd
New User
Originally Posted by LxMan1
I would start by scanning for codes. Could be as simple as a crank position sensor.

Yea I forgot to mention that I did scan for codes and there were none. I've been messing with it some more and haven't gotten anywhere. Thanks for replying though.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:31 PM
bigjimd
New User
Originally Posted by bigjimd
Yea I forgot to mention that I did scan for codes and there were none. I've been messing with it some more and haven't gotten anywhere. Thanks for replying though.
ALSO I just read somewhere about a "soft code" - is it possible the truck is throwing codes and my scanner is too cheap to pick them up?

Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn on the ignition , have you checked for fuel pressure ?? my first guess would be fuel pump..

Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 PM
FoxNotch
Tuned
I had the fuel pump on my 05 die out of nowhere.

This also uses a fuel pressure control module, which mounts on the crossmember by the spare tire. Track down the fuel pump relay and check that out as well.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
PCM failures aren't all that common although they do occur.

You'll need to eliminate the most likely alternatives before coming to that conclusion.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM
patrolkall
New User
Same problem?

HI.

Thanks for a great forum, it has helped me alot with my f250.

I have seem to have the same problem as bigjimd any results from yours bigjimd??

My F250 is a 2005 5.4. I tried a new fuel pump module but it still wont run and i cant hear the fuel pump altough i open the gas cap.(will it need ground from the housing? i did not attach it)

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hit the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet and listen for the pump.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 PM
FoxNotch
Tuned
Here's a link to my fuel pump failure thread a few years ago:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...f250-5-4l.html

Old 02-02-2016, 06:54 AM
smares
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Damn!!! Really Guys?

You post such a common and frustrating failure like this that would've helped literally hundreds, if not thousands of Ford truck drivers with this kind of problem, and then you go and leave the entire thread hanging without posting a resolution???? WTH!???? Does anyone know the likely solution to this kind of problem? Does anyone know how this guy fixed his issue he was having in this thread?

I'm having the same exact problem. The fuel pump is sounding off when the key is turned. I've verified fuel pressure at the air bleed valve on the fuel rail, I've verified the various PCM related fuses are good in both the passenger, and engine compartments, and I've swapped around any PCM related relays I could find. The engine is turning over fine when I try to start it, but it doesn't seem to be firing. I'm going to check the camshaft sensors today. Is there anything else I should/could look at?

SO FRUSTRATING! No warning, no degradation of engine performance, and now, the next morning it just won't start.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:49 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by smares
You post such a common and frustrating failure like this that would've helped literally hundreds, if not thousands of Ford truck drivers with this kind of problem, and then you go and leave the entire thread hanging without posting a resolution???? WTH!???? Does anyone know the likely solution to this kind of problem? Does anyone know how this guy fixed his issue he was having in this thread?
We do the best we can with any and all data presented----we have no way of knowing what did or did not resolve OP's issue as he hasn't updated his thread in over 4 years.

All advice offered him applies to your situation as well---first scan for DTC's. If something has failed preventing starting it should show up there.

Most new users hate speculations or guessing especially if they're unfamiliar with diagnosing or troubleshooting automotive issues. As such we tend to hold back and wait for DTC's to be shared----we're able to be more helpful then.

Simply put the help obtained here cannot be better than the information offered. Try as we might mind reading isn't part of the deal here!

Old 04-22-2016, 02:42 PM
ben_evel
New User
same problem as above.

Originally Posted by smares

I'm having the same exact problem. The fuel pump is sounding off when the key is turned. I've verified fuel pressure at the air bleed valve on the fuel rail, I've verified the various PCM related fuses are good in both the passenger, and engine compartments, and I've swapped around any PCM related relays I could find. The engine is turning over fine when I try to start it, but it doesn't seem to be firing. I'm going to check the camshaft sensors today. Is there anything else I should/could look at?

SO FRUSTRATING! No warning, no degradation of engine performance, and now, the next morning it just won't start.
I have the same problem as above. I did however spray starting fluid in the airbox and it started. I shut it off after a couple seconds and it started right back up. drove it all day with no issues. then in the morning i went out to start it again and the same thing happens. acts like no fuel. I replaced the fuel pump and played with some relays. we shall see in the morning i guess.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Originally Posted by ben_evel
I have the same problem as above. I did however spray starting fluid in the airbox and it started. I shut it off after a couple seconds and it started right back up. drove it all day with no issues. then in the morning i went out to start it again and the same thing happens. acts like no fuel. I replaced the fuel pump and played with some relays. we shall see in the morning i guess.
You need to OBSERVE the THEFT light to see if PATS is the issue.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:49 PM
smares
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ended up replacing the fuel pump, yet I still had no pressure up at the fuel rail even after I did all that. Initially, I could Spray starting fluid into the intake, and it would rumble to life, but only for a second or two. Then after I replaced the fuel pump, even that stopped working. It wasn't even getting spark now. So I deduced that the pcm had shut everything down for some reason. It wasn't allowing the fuel pump to pump, or the plugs or injectors to fire when I tried cranking the engine. The pump prime cycle always worked. It seemed to pump fuel great during that cycle when turning the key to the run position. I had also checked the camshaft position sensor early on in this process, but I didn't know about the crankshaft position sensor. I found that sensor, and traced its wiring from the bottom of the engine, up over the exhaust manifold, and over the valve cover on the passenger side of the engine towards the back of the valve cover, and that wiring appeared to be tight around a valve cover bolt at the back of the valve cover. It was so tight, it appeared to have rubbed through the wiring casing, and very well could have been shorting out that signal from that sensor. I decided to try starting it after moving that part of the harness, and it roared to life!

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: 5.4L F250 Won't Start - PCM?