Bronco II Ford Bronco II

84 bronco ii alternator not chargeing

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:51 PM
Gordesky Mco
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 bronco ii alternator not chargeing

I posted about this before which i couldn't get the problem solved. so here i am at it again.

things i did replace the alternator and battery voltage regulator starter solenoid and still the same problem. So it had to be with wiring so i gave up on it for a year or 2..

and i posted about it on Facebook in the bronco ii club couple hours ago. Which they gave good suggestions and i tried them. which was running a jumper wire from the alternator to the battery. and that still didin't get it to charge.

than someone said is it grounded which i told them it had to be. but than someone pointed out one post on the back of the alternator he said he pretty sure a ground should be on that post were it says grd.

Here's some pics

first one is a pic of mine and i get battery power from the red ring terminal when the truck is running and off when running im ony getting 12.60 and the more i start the truck its goes lower. The other wire on the right i get nothing on that.

Than here's the 2 pics of the gnd that i found off the net searching 1g alternators.

Yep as you can see the one has a wire on the ground, and you can see grd on both pics. and i notice now on mine which is very hard to see at night, it also says ground.

So im wondering now is that my whole problem? The weird thing i never remember there being any wire on there..

Than someone commented this

Had the same problem with both of my 85 rangers was the black and orange wire where it hooks in to the main wire harness on the driver's wheel well it melted. Had to unwrap a lot of wire to find it, Was right about were voltage regulator is.

This bronco 2 really needs to get back on the road and ony this problem is holding it back... lol

Old 05-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Gordesky Mco
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found the problem and solved it i jumped the field connector with the white ring around the stud which at first i did not know which one was the field connector the diagrams on google was not really clear about it.. But connected it to the positive on the battery and started the truck and i got over 13 volts So the alternator works and found out the field wire is bad somewhere. So instead of going threw the wire mess on this truck i just ran a new wire right over to the f terminal on the voltage regulator and started the truck and there it goes works Turn everything on lights radio amp sub and it holds a charge at 13.5volts, Turn everything off but the engine and it reads 14volts

So this problem is finally solved!

I think its about time this truck gets back on the road lol..