Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 F150 351w build?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:36 PM
cliffordbigredtruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 F150 351w build?

Ok so I recently bought a truck and am very pleased with it. However its got a lot of miles on it. I can either get a newer mass air flow motor and install but my father isn't too thrilled about changing the computer and wiring harness.
This build has a 1200$ budget and will be undertaken in around 5-6months.
I can get a motor for free but not the computer or harness. The one I was looking at has had pieces cut out and the computer is MIA.
Or I can rebuild the motor that's in the truck with the speed density system. I overstated my goals in the last thread. I would love to make 350-450HP at the wheel but without a maf conversion it doesn't look possible.
If I keep the SD system how radical of a camshaft can I use? Is it possible to push it to 400? Someone want to give me a build sheet?
This is my daily driver, but its really the only hobby I enjoy at the same time. I just want to be able to romp the gas and ignite the tires like my old truck.
I'm thinking have the heads machined and polished, higher compression pistons, an aggressive cam and a valve job with a mild stall torque converter?
I've rebuilt a 300i6, and a Detroit 353 so I do have some first hand experience. My father has rebuilt countless motors but he prefers carbs (is convincing me I need to switch to) because he dislikes electronics.
Edit:Truck info 1992 F150 extended cab 351W 3:55gears with 35inch tires

Old 05-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 963 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by cliffordbigredtruck
If I keep the SD system how radical of a camshaft can I use?
Not very.

Is it possible to push it to 400?
Not even close.. 300 crank hp would be pushing it.

I just want to be able to romp the gas and ignite the tires like my old truck.
What was your old truck?

3:55gears with 35inch tires
Well that is a problem.. you need to get more gear in the axles.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:44 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
Other than the need for more gear in the axles.

Your minds in the wrong place, forget HP, think tq.

Stroker, tq cam, little better heads, SD friendly all day long, check out SD tuners.

No offense but $1200 isn't gonna get you much of anything, depending on direction, half that, if not all will go towards tuning, and more gear, should be step 1.

Budget turbo setup would be stock SD friendly, if you do it right, fmu, timing retard box, think lower psi levels but it'd still bring on the tq and HP, much more than the naturally aspirated parts you'll find for 1200.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:55 PM
cliffordbigredtruck
New User
Originally Posted by Motorhead351
Other than the need for more gear in the axles.

Your minds in the wrong place, forget HP, think tq.

Stroker, tq cam, little better heads, SD friendly all day long, check out SD tuners.

No offense but $1200 isn't gonna get you much of anything, depending on direction, half that, if not all will go towards tuning, and more gear, should be step 1.

Budget turbo setup would be stock SD friendly, if you do it right, fmu, timing retard box, think lower psi levels but it'd still bring on the tq and HP, much more than the naturally aspirated parts you'll find for 1200.
I can do all the work myself I'll have help and most of the machining. Its a 1200$ parts budget

Old 05-09-2016, 06:41 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
I still don't see you building a 400 HP engine for $1200, even if the $1200 is only going towards parts. Unless that part has NOS stamped on the side. A basic set of heads will put you at a grand. Your gonna need larger valves, better springs and alot of Port work to make the stock heads do anything, you haven't ordered the cam or pistons at that point, probably need headers? Free up the exhaust? Larger Injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, decided on SD tuning or mass air?

Your gonna need two new gear sets, to take advantage of anything done. And a high mile transmission is gonna eat up some power, need to address that for many reasons. Think these two should get addressed first.

I like optimism but damn...

Old 05-09-2016, 07:20 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
If your budget was 2,000, you'd be in the ballpark but it's easy to drop that in your sleep. Stock heads are garbage, budget china knockoff heads are just fine for applications like this, although you do run the risk of poor casting resulting in mating surface issues, which can be fixed most of the time.

A stroker is a must if you want tire spinning power with speed density.

Stroker assembly and heads will be 2k alone, minimum.

You can, however, make 350hp at the crank with a high compression 351 with good heads, speed density cam, and some form of tunability.

Not directing this toward you; I just hate budget builds....mine included.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:31 AM
cliffordbigredtruck
New User
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
If your budget was 2,000, you'd be in the ballpark but it's easy to drop that in your sleep. Stock heads are garbage, budget china knockoff heads are just fine for applications like this, although you do run the risk of poor casting resulting in mating surface issues, which can be fixed most of the time.

A stroker is a must if you want tire spinning power with speed density.

Stroker assembly and heads will be 2k alone, minimum.

You can, however, make 350hp at the crank with a high compression 351 with good heads, speed density cam, and some form of tunability.

Not directing this toward you; I just hate budget builds....mine included.
Can't I just pull the heads off a mustang from the yard? Its the same motor. Will I need to have the computer tuned to run a stroker kit?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:05 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
You could pull mustang heads, but if they're stock you'll be picking the same trash as what's on your truck....they're the same. Explorer heads are an upgrade but not good enough to make serious power or adequately feed a stroker.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:15 AM
IcutMetl
Senior User
I had a 1995 F150 with the 5.8L, and had it built into a 393 stroker and kept the SD system. It ran just fine, and had a ton of torque. Keith black pistons, Scat steel crank, COMP roller cam with new lifters, no porting or anything.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 372 Likes on 285 Posts
Can't I just pull the heads off a mustang from the yard? Its the same motor. Will I need to have the computer tuned to run a stroker kit?
The best bang for your buck in all honesty, is going to be gears. With a 35 inch tire you need a minimum of a 4.56 gear. If you build an engine up and drop it in, you will be sadly disappointed. Its just the mechanical disadvantage of putting taller tires on plain and simple.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:57 AM
cliffordbigredtruck
New User
I can go to 4.10 gears fairly easily.
If I can go to a 393 stroker without a retune thats what I'll do, the motor needs rebuilt anyway and i'm NOT going back to stock configuration.
i was looking at a MAF conversion but 750$ for the kit and then 300 more for the transmission and I wouldn't much better off then I am right now.
393 stroker kit + cam for 1K this may end up being what I do.
My only option and LEAST favorite is an 85 motor + trans and then building it but it looks like all the fuel plumbing and guages etc would be a bigger can of worms then MAF conversion.

So no tune is necessary to go to 393? lobe seperation at 114*

Old 05-09-2016, 11:09 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
No tune necessary, you CAN go with a cam that is a little better than the efi cam when you increase displacement. Keep it 113+* LSA, high lift, low duration and it'll be great.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:54 AM
IcutMetl
Senior User
I can go to 4.10 gears fairly easily.
If I can go to a 393 stroker without a retune thats what I'll do, the motor needs rebuilt anyway and i'm NOT going back to stock configuration.
i was looking at a MAF conversion but 750$ for the kit and then 300 more for the transmission and I wouldn't much better off then I am right now.
393 stroker kit + cam for 1K this may end up being what I do.
My only option and LEAST favorite is an 85 motor + trans and then building it but it looks like all the fuel plumbing and guages etc would be a bigger can of worms then MAF conversion.

So no tune is necessary to go to 393? lobe seperation at 114*
I don't think you will build a stroker for $1,000, even if you do the wrench work yourself. I think I had about $3500 in mine, but I had a shop do everything. I do not recall the comp cam that was used, but it was an off the shelf CompuCam from them. I'm not saying that you can or should try to get away without a tune, but I am saying that I did it and didn't have any major issues. I agree with others on here; get your gearing straightened out first if you want to run big tires, and have realistic expectations. $1,000 will disappear quickly.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:46 PM
D.K
New User
I'm in the middle of attempting the $1200, 351w swap as well, and even with keeping the SD setup, you're not likely going to be able to keep under that budget. And you definitely won't be able to come close to 400 HP at the wheels. For me, I was able to keep everything under budget until it came down to the intake manifold, and I still have the TB to source and intake tube piping to finish. However, I did include trans upgrades, gears, and the initial motor purchase in my budget costs.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:50 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
D.k I dunno what you're intake situation is like, but there are adapters for 302 intake to 351...might be what you need. Truck 302 intake flows great.

Quick Reply: 1992 F150 351w build?