Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Reman single shots already knocking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You wouldn't be the first if that were the case. I have personally run without a chip on stage II sticks - it's a mess. You've done your due diligence by retorqueing the injectors, now it's a waiting game until "your chip has come in".

Maybe you're aware - maybe not... so I mention it. Hydra can have the tunes emailed to you. No need to pull the chip, and no waiting.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Otto396
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
You wouldn't be the first if that were the case. I have personally run without a chip on stage II sticks - it's a mess. You've done your due diligence by retorqueing the injectors, now it's a waiting game until "your chip has come in".

Maybe you're aware - maybe not... so I mention it. Hydra can have the tunes emailed to you. No need to pull the chip, and no waiting.
I have a F5 16 position form DP-Tuner. Kicking myself in the @$$ for not getting the Bluetooth F6...

Being in Oregon it takes a while to ship to Georgia and back. Something I forgot to account for.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:31 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jhl3
How is that working out for you and your truck. I may do exactly that in about 2500 miles....
So far so good. I haven't been under the valve covers in 12-15,000 miles, so I don't believe they have backed out. I wouldn't want to re-torque them now because it would break the loctite and because I haven't had any symptoms of a loose injector, I am not going under there to start any problems.

As for the issue of false torque readings due to fluid or debris. I used isopropyl alcohol and a BUNCH of Q-tips to clean out the threads before installing the hold down bolts. I think my torque readings were probably as good as the torque wrench I used on them.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:33 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Otto396
I feel like that's what I'm doing
You aren't, when you get your chip it'll sound and run a lot better. Let me know what you think of the idle when you get the chip installed. What size injectors are they?

Old 05-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Otto396
Senior User
Originally Posted by HKusp
You aren't, when you get your chip it'll sound and run a lot better. Let me know what you think of the idle when you get the chip installed. What size injectors are they?
Stage 1 Single Shots 180cc nozzles.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Otto396
Stage 1 Single Shots 180cc nozzles.
180 cc with what nozzle? Stock, 30% over, 80% over, 100% over?

Old 05-10-2016, 09:54 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HKusp
So far so good. I haven't been under the valve covers in 12-15,000 miles, so I don't believe they have backed out. I wouldn't want to re-torque them now because it would break the loctite and because I haven't had any symptoms of a loose injector, I am not going under there to start any problems.

As for the issue of false torque readings due to fluid or debris. I used isopropyl alcohol and a BUNCH of Q-tips to clean out the threads before installing the hold down bolts. I think my torque readings were probably as good as the torque wrench I used on them.
Thank you sir for the very informative answer.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Otto396
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dan V
180 cc with what nozzle? Stock, 30% over, 80% over, 100% over?
Sorry I forgot about the nozzle! Its stock

Old 05-10-2016, 10:01 PM
Otto396
Senior User
Originally Posted by jhl3
Thank you sir for the very informative answer.
I agree!

Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I just want to know if I can find some class 10.9 or 12.9 bolts for the injectors. Class 12.9 has almost twice the yield strength (resistance to deforming - like stretch) of the 8.8, but I need to look at an injector bolt to find out which class it is.
I looked through my stash of bolts and if what I found is the injector bolt to which you refer it is an 8.8. It's little, like 8 or 9mm, I'd say an inch or so long, tap bolt with an upside down bowl type bottom on the head (if that makes any sense).

Old 05-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Otto396
Senior User
The bolt head is indeed an 8mm. Not sure on the length.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:34 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I looked through my stash of bolts and if what I found is the injector bolt to which you refer it is an 8.8. It's little, like 8 or 9mm, I'd say an inch or so long, tap bolt with an upside down bowl type bottom on the head (if that makes any sense).
Pics man, pics...

Old 05-11-2016, 09:00 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I'm certainly not up on the torque properties of the 8.8 vs 12.9...but I'd be hesitant to make the swap to a bolt with a higher yield as as seem to recall, you'd need a higher torque value to obtain the stretch for the torque value....and the head is cast iron, I'd worry about pulling the threads from the head before the proper torque value is reached.

But, as I said.....I don't know anything about this.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:35 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've done hot, cold, oil, Lok-Tite, 6 or 7 torque wrenches (some with dials, some with click), hired two mechanics to do it for me (including the dealership), I've used 120, 125, 130, and 135, I've done it standing on my head, but mostly with my head up my butt. I'm pretty sure the diesel guy at the dealership (who owns a 7.3L) knows what he's doing and has the right tools - and one very respected member here tried his hand at it, after making sure the bolt holes where good. Fail, fail, fail, and then fail. The only thing that has really worked for me is the Lok-Tite and 125 in/lbs. Even with that, I've had one work loose within a couple thousand miles of messing with an injector. Once they're solid, I hate touching them. I even had one that was good for a couple of years after torquing it with oil, but it finally jumped out and took a cup with it.

I'm not light-headed enough to think if I keep doing the exact same thing over and over again that I should expect a different result. Between experimental fluids, new bolts (several times), different torque wrenches and hiring people to fail for me - the loose bolt thing alone has cost me about... crap... maybe a couple of thousand if you count lost ELC, oil, cups, tool rental, labor, tools, shipping, supplies, yadda, yadda, yadda. To say I'm doing it wrong is poking the dealership in the ribs, as well as Woodnthings.

I see people saying they never hot-torque and never have problems. I have yet to find an injector bolt within factory torque spec under a virgin valve cover on countless engines. They are always far less. Every time I snug 'em up, the driver reports a quieter-running engine. It leads me to ask the question... of those who "never have issues", has there been a follow-up visit under the VCs just to make sure the torque didn't drift? I can only suspect not if there is no detected issue, but I welcome proof I'm wrong - it would give me hope that I have a shot of being done with this on the engine swap.

I should receive my digital torque adapter this week, and I have one more virgin valve cover to pop. It's going to be checked before I remove the injectors.
No one said you were doing it wrong, I said untill your thread I had never really heard of it being an issue untill your threads unless undertorqued from the get go. I will stand by not hot torquing injector hold down bolts though. That was not how International specs the torque. The OP is wondering about odd clacks and tings running singles on split tuning(not something i would do). Before everyone started jumping to the conclusion the injectors are loose the dude needs to get the correct chip in there. Then figure it out. That was my point.

Considering how many times you have been through this have you checked the threads in the block. sounds like they are done.

And to answer your question, no we cold torque them and leave them alone. Upon disassembly, it sometimes seems sd 7.3s have slightly undertorqued injector bolts than the OBS motors, factory installed or not. Why? I have no clue, but usually breaking a bolt loose is much softer on the SDs than the OBS motors...no idea why. Just an observation.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:00 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Back to the matter at hand....

I drove my 250/200% - equipped pickup 64 miles on stock tuning without hesitation or worry. It wasn't the most relaxing experience but as long as one is smart about it, it's not going to hurt anything.

Quick Reply: Reman single shots already knocking?