6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

WATER IN FUEL -- Fuel/water separator issue... dealership $$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 04:42 PM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WATER IN FUEL -- Fuel/water separator issue... dealership $$$

Hey,

I have a 2005 6.0L, and I regularly have changed the fuel filters and drained the water separator every 30-40k miles (basically twice) since I purchased it (108k at purchase, now 175k).

My wife said the WATER IN FUEL light came on, and she took it into the dealership. They called her and said the quote was $650 because there was "sludge" in the fuel water separator, and it needed to be replaced.

Is this legit? This price seems dramatically high, even high for the dealership.

Thanks in advance. Always happens like this on while deployment...

Matt

Old 05-04-2016, 04:59 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
I haven't checked the dealership price on a HFCM, but it almost seams like they are replacing it rather then pulling the cover and cleaning it out, replacing the gasket, and putting it back together. Individuals have done that and I believe dealer techs too.

Although maybe with the shop pricing at this point cleaning may come to that anyway.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:36 PM
04superduty6.0
Senior User
Are there any members near you that might be able to help? I know what it's like to be away and have problems (USAF 20 years).

Old 05-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Definitely drain your water separator way more often then every 30k-40k miles, IMO thats way too long to go. Don't pay to replace it man, they are too easy to take apart, clean and redo the gasket like stated above.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Jerky's_06 F350
Senior User
Originally Posted by 04superduty6.0
Are there any members near you that might be able to help? I know what it's like to be away and have problems (USAF 20 years).
Profile says FL and member of NC Chapter.

City/State would be helpful. Like others, been there, done that (24 yrs USN) and just as many supporters of the military to help out.

Stay safe and keep your head down when needed, chin up the rest of the time.

John

Old 05-04-2016, 09:02 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MudhenGIB
Hey,

I have a 2005 6.0L, and I regularly have changed the fuel filters and drained the water separator every 30-40k miles (basically twice) since I purchased it (108k at purchase, now 175k).

My wife said the WATER IN FUEL light came on, and she took it into the dealership. They called her and said the quote was $650 because there was "sludge" in the fuel water separator, and it needed to be replaced.

Is this legit? This price seems dramatically high, even high for the dealership.

Thanks in advance. Always happens like this on while deployment...

Matt
Both filters should be done every 10k miles, or every other oil change and is when most folks drain the water as well......that is the general rule of thumb for a 6.0.

Stay safe!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

And the original drain period was monthly. With the newer low sulphur fuels that can be extended.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The gasket kit for the HFCM is about $45 IIRC.

My HFCM was like that! 15 minutes to have it off the rail and an hour or so to clean it and reseal.

Sounds like they are just wanting to replace it due to the age and mileage on it. O'rielly's has a nice one for about 275-350.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Took this off of another site. I remember getting a TSB on this.
FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2005 E-Series

This article supersedes TSB 06-6-5 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2005 F-Super Duty vehicles built prior to 9/22/2004, 2003-2005 Excursion vehicles built prior to 1/10/2005, and 2004-2005 E-Series vehicles built prior to 9/16/2004 and equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine, may exhibit an intermittent / flickering water in fuel (WIF) lamp. The intermittent condition may be more prominent while turning corners, braking, or during uphill/downhill driving.

Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty and 2003-2005 Excursion vehicles may exhibit a continuous WIF lamp on, even without the presence of water, due to debris in the reservoir or corrosion on the WIF sensor pins located in the manifold.

Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty and 2003-2005 Excursion vehicles may exhibit both intermittent / flickering and continuous WIF due to corrosion and the lack of new calibration.

ACTION:
Use the following Service Procedure based upon the customers symptom.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

For intermittent / flickering WIF lamp condition reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using the IDS release B32.11 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at Motorcraft.
If the WIF lamp continuously illuminates without the presence of water, this may be due to corrosion on the sensor pins or sediment build up in the water reservoir.
Drain the horizontal fuel conditioning module (HFCM) reservoir and look for significant corrosion debris or sediment in the fluid drained from the reservoir. Remove the WIF sensor and inspect for corrosion on the pins. Remove the WIF Senor by first disconnecting the electrical connector, then using channel locks, rotate the WIF sensor at least 45 degrees counterclockwise. If there is corrosion / sediment on the pins, proceed to Step b. If there is not, refer to PC/ED lead diagnostics and do not proceed with the TSB.
If corrosion on the pins is causing the WIF lamp to illuminate, replace the WIF sensor with service kit, following the WIF sensor installation instructions in the kit.
If there was significant corrosion debris or sediment drained from the reservoir, clean the housing of the HFCM of any debris following the HFCM cleaning procedure. It is not necessary to replace the Manifold or HFCM assembly.
Vehicles with both an intermittent and continuous WIF light due to corrosion are to follow actions 1 and 2 as described above, referring to the vehicle built dates and application.
HFCM Cleaning Procedure

CAUTION: Smoking or an open flame of any type is prohibited when working near fuel or fuel vapor.

Disconnect both battery ground cables. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 414-01.
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 100-02.
Disconnect the fuel pump, heater, water in fuel electrical connectors from HFCM (Figure 1).

Figure 1 - Article 06-22-12

Disconnect HFCM electrical harness from main vehicle harness.
Disconnect the fuel hoses from HFCM.
Remove the fuel hose retaining clips and discard. Disconnect the fuel hoses closest to the engine (Figure 2 Number 1).

Figure 2 - Article 06-22-12

Press in the retaining clips and release the fuel hoses closest to the fuel tank (Figure 3 Number 2).

Figure 3 - Article 06-22-12

Remove the screws and the fuel manifold cover (Figure 4).

Figure 4 - Article 06-22-12

Clean debris from the HFCM water reservoir housing (max 25 psi air).
Install the manifold cover and screws and torque to 44lb-in (5 N-m) (Figure 5).

Figure 5 - Article 06-22-12

Reconnect/reinstall fuel lines.
Verify that there are no fuel leaks from the HFCM.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6C3Z-9C264-A WIF Snsor Kit

Others have sprayed carb cleaner in separator and fixed the problem.
Was there any water in it when it was drained.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
For parts to help save some $$$ give the Ed at FICMrepair >>>FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts
a shout. They have real Ford parts with the Ford warrantee that goes with it
I put the link to the "Contact Us" page so you can ask them to check into the price
for you. FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts
It may help to include your VIN so you get the correct parts and make it easy for
them to look them up for you. They have good prices and fast shipping.

Also they are a site sponsor and Ed will ofter go out of his way to help people
on FET with info or just chatting to make sure they get what they need.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-05-2016, 02:52 AM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

All,

Thanks so much. Yes, I would certainly do the work myself if I was there. Wife is not really mechanically inclined in that way. I'm up in North Carolina, southeast of Raleigh. I appreciate all the responses. I will definitely pay far more attention to that filter/separator from here on out. Looking at some of the "quick drain" setups as well right now, as I try to figure out what to do with this.

Thanks!

Matt

Old 05-05-2016, 10:07 AM
04superduty6.0
Senior User
Matt

So is the truck and wife in Florida? Some answers seemed to assume that you were with the truck.

Sharn

Old 05-05-2016, 10:11 AM
04superduty6.0
Senior User
Sorry, meant to add that if we know where the truck is, maybe a fellow FTE'er could help out. I would but I'm in central USA (near Ft Smith, AR), and I think your truck is in Florida.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:25 AM
jlillie
Senior User
My advise is to see if you can have someone pull the HFCM drain plug, let the fuel drain out, then squirt some brake cleaner up in there with one of those small red flex tubes that come with the brake cleaner. Then let the brake cleaner drain out and see what comes out. Repeat until clean. If a lot of sludge/grimy stuff comes out it needs to be pulled, taken apart and cleaned but maybe just the rinse out with brake cleaner can get the wife by until your back from deployment.
I would advise against letting the dealer do their thing unless you have money to burn and I doubt that. As a fellow squid, i know you dont make a lot.
I might be able to help if the truck is anywhere around South West Florida but i'm guessing its either in Jax or Pensicola.

Here is a good vid on what is suggested above
~John

Old 05-05-2016, 11:00 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Really getting into the weeds here. He's not with the truck. Mentions near Raleigh, NC but not sure if that means where the truck is or where he is.

If $650 includes them already draining it then cleaning, or doing the replacement changes things.

Matt, if the water was already drained the goop will take up some of the volume for the water and can set a WIF light early due to its contact with the sensor. If it's been drained the truck can be driven, it's just not going to have much capacity before the WIF sets off again, due to water or a false "goop" reading.

I'm not a great fan of spraying brake cleaner in through the drain hole unless it can sit that way for an hour to make sure the brake cleaner evaporates. And then a number of key on fuel movement runs to disperse any leftover BC. I'm being cautious. A number of people have cleared the chamber by spraying in BC.

If you can provide a city or town where she is at there maybe a local member who can help. That's a lot of money for a fix to this issue, but it depends on what the dealer is doing.

Quick Reply: WATER IN FUEL -- Fuel/water separator issue... dealership $$$