6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

new guy to the forum and to diesel

Old 05-03-2016, 06:55 AM
Luke Langlois
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy to the forum and to diesel

Hello, I just recently purchased my first F250, it's an 06, eighth digit ''P'' vin,(that was luck as I knew nothing other than what I was told, which was to stay away from the 6.0.) What should I be looking for as far as problems? other than gas pumps, what should I avoid? Any advice that is helpful is appropriated. Thanks ya'll.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome aboard. You already know more than me with the 8th digit P. Look at top of page and you will see three post, go to the third one and open it up. Go down just a little and you will see Recommendations for new to me truck. Read it and enjoy. Welcome again.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Yes welcome to FTE and like Tideman suggested, there is a TON of info in the Tech Folder. When you first come into the 6.0 forum, look for it near the top of the threads.

Then ask away with any specifics you find with your truck. Getting something set up to monitor the data that is running around on your truck's computer network is KEY. There are very cheap options out there if you are a droid user you can buy an inexpensive adapter that plugs into your ODBII port and download Torque Pro ($4.95), or there is Forscan for a laptop (it is free, but still needs an adapter), or for a bit more money there is ScanGauge II, and a huge number of users here on FTE of that, but you do have to do some programming, or if you are an IOS person there is DashBoss -- pretty complete package.

Enjoy the read and the ride!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:56 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome aboard. When it comes to filters stick with OEM. Your truck wil thank you.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Luke Langlois
Hello, I just recently purchased my first F250, it's an 06, eighth digit ''P'' vin,(that was luck as I knew nothing other than what I was told, which was to stay away from the 6.0.) What should I be looking for as far as problems? other than gas pumps, what should I avoid? Any advice that is helpful is appropriated. Thanks ya'll.
Well,, it looks like you didn't listen very well!

As Tideman said get familiar with the Tech folder, just read about what you find interesting and any problems you may have. This is an amazingly active forum so don't be afraid to post new threads and we'll be happy to nit-pick any 6.0 subject into submission. Just please don't ask what the best oil is

The first thing I would have liked to know was that the instrument panel can't be trusted. Get some sort of monitor or smartphone app.

Congrats on the truck, they run strong when they are right!

Welcome to FTE

Old 05-03-2016, 07:41 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the new to you 6.0L!

Here is a great link Rusty put together for code readers/scanner options for the 6.0L. These are so important to have in my opinion, not only will it help diagnose problems if/when they occure, they can help catch a problem before it gets worse and save you tons of $.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eral-info.html

Old 05-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Luke Langlois
Junior User
Thanks guys, I have taken the advice given. I stopped, went back and read. lol, no I don't listen well. I did a few "cheap/free" mods, the Zoodad mod, and some aftermarket lights.
Thanks for the congrats, this has been my dream truck for so long now, I guess since about 4 years old. It's not exact, but, "close enough for government work."

Just some history about the truck, low mileage for the age at 93k, it is a retired Sheriffs Department search and rescue dive team truck. They did the EGR delete, and a 4 inch exhaust, but it still has the cat. and a heavy O.E.M. style muffler. No tuner, so it does throw codes, but the codes got checked prior to purchase, and they are both saying the same thing. I can't remember exactly but it was about the EGR.

I will for sure get a tuner/monitor/scanner. I am going to be researching them and seeing what forms and functions they have. I have been told the SCT is the safest, to me that is best. I don't need a ton of power and speed. I need this truck to last me the rest of my life.

The truck came with a camper top, and my friend gave me a tonneau cover off his work truck, it's a 5.4 version

Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Just some history about the truck, low mileage for the age at 93k, it is a retired Sheriffs Department search and rescue dive team truck. They did the EGR delete......
Haha, too funny. A local government department deleted Federal emission requirements?

Old 05-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Luke Langlois
Junior User
Yes, I started to put something in about how law enforcement thinks they are above the law, but I digress as I don't want to start a ''back the badge/ anti-police'' opinion debate. Let just stick to the local gov. Does what they want and don't care about any laws. Just to put it out there, I will be the one that gets the ticket for the delete, from the same sheriffs office that deleted it when they owned it, prior to me.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Luke, now that's funny ;-)

Old 05-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Luke Langlois
Junior User
Hey guys, any of y'all know where I can find a forum specific to the SCT tuner? I have been looking, and there is a ton of sparadic info, mostly opinion based.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Sal_Monella
Freshman User
A lot of guys talk up the SCT Livewire a lot. Seems to be the safest and best supported.
I haven't seen any specific threads, just a lot of data from a lot of threads.

SCT Livewire TS Performance Programmer and Monitor

Old 05-12-2016, 04:06 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I would post a thread right here in this form or power stroke army. Which SCT product are you looking for specific info on?

Old 05-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Luke Langlois
Junior User
I was looking for info on the x4, but the livewire seems to go an even better choice.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:22 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I was looking for info on the x4, but the livewire seems to go an even better choice.
I have a SCTx4 and it does a good job for the $. I like being able to receive tunes via E-mail and upload it to the device. It does a good job with reading some of the engine parameters except Exhaust Back Pressure and will read trouble codes. But paired with the Dashboss, Scangauge or Torque Pro you just about have all the bases covered on the 6.0L.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new guy to the forum and to diesel