1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

300 6 w/ GM HEI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
300 6 w/ GM HEI?

Hi guys, anyone using one of those ebay hei's in your 300 6? I would like to know if they're any good. Thanks Greg.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,101 Likes on 1,790 Posts
What is wrong with the one in the truck now?

I can't see replacing the small electronic one with box on fender for a big electronic one where the "box" is in the hot distributor where heat can make it fail.
Dave - - - -

Old 05-03-2016, 07:31 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hi guys, anyone using one of those ebay hei's in your 300 6? I would like to know if they're any good. Thanks Greg.
You might want to put this on the inline six forum for more response.

But, yes, there are a few choices for a HEI type distributor. The best - and most expensive - is the DUI version:

Ford Distributors Archives - Performance Distributors Performance Distributors

Great company and quality; about $400 or so. Note, they also make a Duraspark distributor.

Pertronix also sells a HEI distributor; I'm a bit confused on all their options, so go through the catalog to see what works best for you, and shop prices. I've seen billet for more than the DUI price, but have seen another version for less.

HEI Distributors

There are also cheap Chinese versions marketed under a couple of names for prices starting at less than $100, but who knows how well they work for how long. No link; you'll need to sort through Amazon to find one, but I've seen them there before. Buyer beware IMO on these!

The best, proven setup is to go with the stock Duraspark II. Get the wiring out of a junkyard truck, and maybe the distributor, too, but those can be bought as a re-man fairly cheap. I don't have the p/n handy, but the Ford Motorsport blue boxes are still available on ebay for ~$40, so that, plus a JY harness ($20 or less) and a used or reman distributor (~$60 or less) and you have a great setup for the price of the cheapie Chinese HEI.

Like I said at the top, go to the inline forum and I'm sure you'll get plenty of input on what works and what doesn't, but IMO and many others, it's hard to beat the Duraspark setup.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I have one from DUI on the 302 in my Bronco. No issues with it (other than the cost...)

Old 05-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
What is wrong with the one in the truck now?

I can't see replacing the small electronic one with box on fender for a big electronic one where the "box" is in the hot distributor where heat can make it fail.
Dave - - - -
I have a 56 f100 that I am planning to put a 300 six into. I originally bought a complete 96 F150 w/a 300 and 5speed to put in it but I got overwhelmed with the wiring, computer, in tank pump, etc. Then I found a carburated 300 which I thought I would be all set but that is a 1985 with the electronic carb and distributor. I am still looking for a duraspark wiring harness and dist and carb but I saw these HEI's on ebay and was curious. Sure would be easy to just hook 12v up to the distributor...

Old 05-04-2016, 05:22 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by fljab
You might want to put this on the inline six forum for more response.

But, yes, there are a few choices for a HEI type distributor. The best - and most expensive - is the DUI version:

Ford Distributors Archives - Performance Distributors Performance Distributors

Great company and quality; about $400 or so. Note, they also make a Duraspark distributor.

Pertronix also sells a HEI distributor; I'm a bit confused on all their options, so go through the catalog to see what works best for you, and shop prices. I've seen billet for more than the DUI price, but have seen another version for less.

HEI Distributors

There are also cheap Chinese versions marketed under a couple of names for prices starting at less than $100, but who knows how well they work for how long. No link; you'll need to sort through Amazon to find one, but I've seen them there before. Buyer beware IMO on these!

The best, proven setup is to go with the stock Duraspark II. Get the wiring out of a junkyard truck, and maybe the distributor, too, but those can be bought as a re-man fairly cheap. I don't have the p/n handy, but the Ford Motorsport blue boxes are still available on ebay for ~$40, so that, plus a JY harness ($20 or less) and a used or reman distributor (~$60 or less) and you have a great setup for the price of the cheapie Chinese HEI.

Like I said at the top, go to the inline forum and I'm sure you'll get plenty of input on what works and what doesn't, but IMO and many others, it's hard to beat the Duraspark setup.
Thanks, I'll do that. Here in Michigan theres not much left in the salvage yards older than 1990. But I'm looking....

Old 05-05-2016, 07:21 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Thanks, I'll do that. Here in Michigan theres not much left in the salvage yards older than 1990. But I'm looking....
The HEI units do work, but I'd be suspect of the cheap Chinese versions. Who knows, though, you could get a good one. Going with a DUI unit would be easy and reliable but at a cost. Just depends on what your budget is.

I remember the Michigan situation well; I grew up near Jackson and moved to warmer climates when I could. The main thing you want in the junkyard is the harness, but they do make them. Painless wire and American Autowire both have harnesses:

AA: American Autowire Duraspark Ignition Harnesses - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Painless: Painless Performance Duraspark II Distributor Wiring Harnesses 30812 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

By the time you buy the distributor and box, it would be north of 50% of the price of a DUI HEI, so I see the attractiveness of using one of those. Maybe a vendor would discount one; I don't know, but might be worth a search.

Good luck, and post up what you decide.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:48 AM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe I got a good one......$76.00 on e-bay "and comes in three designer cap colors!....too funny". Bought it due to needing a slightly longer shaft during the year
mix-match engine rebuild, and of course, the price. To date, I can honestly say that it has worked without fail.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by WhatsAChevy?
Maybe I got a good one......$76.00 on e-bay "and comes in three designer cap colors!....too funny". Bought it due to needing a slightly longer shaft during the year
mix-match engine rebuild, and of course, the price. To date, I can honestly say that it has worked without fail.
Nice, I want one in mango orange... Thanks for the info.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
GM HEI in a Ford? Excuse me....

Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
GM HEI in a Ford? Excuse me....
Well, that is better than a GM engine in a Ford. The HEI setup does clean up the wiring quite a bit, and if it's like many of the 30 yr old trucks we drive, no telling what kind of mess and quality "fixes" over the yrs by POs; it is an easy way to get around all that.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:32 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Purity

Originally Posted by fljab
Well, that is better than a GM engine in a Ford. The HEI setup does clean up the wiring quite a bit, and if it's like many of the 30 yr old trucks we drive, no telling what kind of mess and quality "fixes" over the yrs by POs; it is an easy way to get around all that.
I am a "purist" about a lot of things. My DeSoto and VW are both "pure" as well as the restorations of the antiques in our home and garage. Even though I did the HEI conversion, I left the DS in the truck (ya never know).
Doesn't hunting down an original air cleaner count for something?
I do agree, it's sickening to me to see the proverbial GM 350/TH350 combo force fed into any Ford.
Mine is a workhorse, not a concours, points dependent restoration.
As far as PO's go..well..my truck's PO was a piece of work. I wouldn't wish that purchase experience on my worst enemy (well,maybe one or two).

Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,101 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Did the 300 come with a points dist.?
If so you could buy one and install a Pertronix kit that replaces the points.
I know of others that have used them in AMC's from flat heads on up to 401 v8's
and all said the best thing they have done.
Dave ----

Old 05-09-2016, 07:35 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Dave ----
I used the Pertronix module when it first came out in a '71 Catalina 400 with success.
I wouldn't have used it in my '51 Merc 109 hp flathead at the time though..

Old 05-10-2016, 06:22 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Dave ----
AMC did go to a Ford sourced Duraspark ingnition in the 70s, and it's still a common add-on to those engines that were stock with points.

Yes, a Pertronix is a great way also to upgrade the ignition. Dunno if it will help the OP on his situation, but worth looking at.

Quick Reply: 300 6 w/ GM HEI?