Bronco II Ford Bronco II

1985 Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:03 AM
AjRanger88
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1985 Resurrection

Howdy folks! I've had my B2 for an extremely long time. She's outlived every relationship I have ever had. Got it for free off an old farmer when I was 11 and I'm 29 now haha. Never could get rid of the old girl, it's time to tear her down a piece at a time and get it to last the next thirty years. I've rolled the odometer I don't know how many times over the years and even rolled the truck itself once...... long story I was 15 haha.

What I've got is a 1985 Ford Bronco II XLT, 4X4, auto trans (A4LD), 2.8 Cologne V6 with EEC-IV ignition. Sitting on 235/75R15 Wild Country Mud Claws.

The plan:
Engine and drivetrain: Recently got a 2.8 out of a 1976 Mustang II for free, all I had to do was pull the engine myself, and with the help of my best friend that was all said and done in about forty five minutes. I just got that engine completely torn down in the shop and will be sending the block off for testing and boring, I plan to go 30 over on the new engine. During this I will be doing the dura spark 2 conversion on my 1985. To do this I will be using the Vacuum distributor off of the 76, as well as the intake manifold so that I do not have to block off the EGR valve hole, and the Motorcraft 2150 non-feedback carb off of the 76. A few more plugs, coil, and ignition box are needed to complete the parts list for the conversion. When I rebuild the 76 engine, I plan to go 30 as I had previously said as well as put a midrange cam in it. Then I will be on the hunt for a FM145 manual trans to rebuild for the new engine.

Interior:
I will be removing my second row of seats, and all carpet. Spray down the interior with a soundproofing insulation and the herculine the roof and floor of the truck. Front seats will get re-upholstered and the dash will get reworked with an all new gauge cluster set up. I will revamp the sound system I have installed which is a set of 8's stuck together and the amp attached to the back of the box set, it has enough cord to be placed outside the truck and used as a sound system at the lake, or quickly removed if I need the cargo room.

Exterior: We will be installing a two inch lift and two inch wheel spacers to accommodate for dick cepek wheels and tires. Also plan to put on fender flares, tint the windows ETC. Color has not been decided now has it been decided if I will keep a one color scheme or go two tone. Billet front grille, grill guard with a winch and running lights. I will also be installing a light bar on the top of the truck. It should be noted that I will be installing a higher output alternator to help out with the added voltage pull.

It's going to be a long process, but one piece at a time it will get finished. Ive done a few other vehicles through my life, and it's time to show the old bronco some love too (even though my fiance thinks I should let it go) I have a public photo page on my Google+ that I will add the link to here, and post more photos as the process goes along. If anyone has an comments or suggestions please feel free to either shoot me a PM or post here. I am not one to turn down advice from anywhere. My go to for ford questions had previously been my grandfather, who past away a couple years ago, and this rebuild is partly homage to him. He had worked for Ford dealerships, and garages for almost 60 years.

Link: https://goo.gl/photos/fJUCSp383VVrhxUz5

Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 AM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to hear you are keeping your trusty rig going.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:15 PM
AjRanger88
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mountain dewd
Glad to hear you are keeping your trusty rig going.
Thank you. I don't think I could ever give up on the old truck, it's never seemed to quit on me

Update: Ive contacted Racer Walsh in Florida, and they are being kind enough to build me a price list on everything for a 30 over bore with a stage 2 camshaft (mid range - top end performance). Lets see what they say.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:57 PM
AjRanger88
Freshman User
Quick update. I have been pricing out the parts needed for the duraspark conversion. It looks as though NAPA may have the best prices after playing the price game with Oriellys, NAPA, and Bumper2Bumper a local parts store. If CarQuest had still been in operation I would be getting my parts from there, but after 50 years Marvin has retired to the Lake and taking on fishing. I will post a spreadsheet of prices, and part numbers when I settle where I am getting the parts from. I stopped by Engine Connection (Local engine shop) and they are roughly a month behind right now, so I will be taking my heads and block from the 76 up there soon so they will have ample time to go through everything and bore the block. When I start to duraspark conversion I will be doing a step by step write up, with as detailed photos as I can take.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:38 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking forward to your work!