1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

New here, looking at a '73 step van

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 02:25 PM
moroza
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, looking at a '73 step van

Howdy!

I'm a mechanic at an import-only shop, learned on BMW and Toyota, don't know much about domestic trucks, but between reading and experiencing, have the impression that Fords are a bit better-made and more comfortable than the other two who shall remain nameless...

Anyway, I've been searching for a step van or box truck. Right now I'm looking at a '73 Ford stepvan with a P40 VIN, a 300 six, and a 4-speed stick. I've been internet-researching for a couple of days, not finding much, hoping someone here can enlighten me with specific information and general opinions.

General opinions? Comparison to Chevy P30 and others? Seems they're easier to work on than an Econoline, with a bigger doghouse, not as easy as a truck... does that sound right?

Seems that Ford stepvans are based on the Econoline chassis. But Wikipedia says the pre-75 E-series are unibody, so how does that work with an aluminum aftermarket body (Grumman, probably)?

Seller says it has a solid axle... I assume he does not mean twin-I-beam. Is that typical for a 73 E-series, or does that make this some medium-duty oddball?

My long-term plans - call them cliched if you will - involve a diesel first, 4wd eventually. No pretenses of rock crawling or bug-out nonsense, I just want traction for snow/ice. Any idea how much fab work I'd have to do to fit a front driveline, either a twin-beam or a solid axle (I'm undecided)?

As for a diesel... I know the 4BT is everybody's favorite these days. What about a 7.3 IDI - will it fit nicely? How about a 6BT? Also, I've heard mention of a "4-cylinder Ford diesel" in some of these, but can't find anything about them. What is that engine?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:14 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moroza
Howdy!

I'm a mechanic at an import-only shop, learned on BMW and Toyota, don't know much about domestic trucks, but between reading and experiencing, have the impression that Fords are a bit better-made and more comfortable than the other two who shall remain nameless...

Anyway, I've been searching for a step van or box truck. Right now I'm looking at a '73 Ford stepvan with a P40 VIN, a 300 six, and a 4-speed stick. I've been internet-researching for a couple of days, not finding much, hoping someone here can enlighten me with specific information and general opinions.

General opinions? Comparison to Chevy P30 and others? Seems they're easier to work on than an Econoline, with a bigger doghouse, not as easy as a truck... does that sound right?

Seems that Ford stepvans are based on the Econoline chassis. But Wikipedia says the pre-75 E-series are unibody, so how does that work with an aluminum aftermarket body (Grumman, probably)?

Seller says it has a solid axle... I assume he does not mean twin-I-beam. Is that typical for a 73 E-series, or does that make this some medium-duty oddball?

My long-term plans - call them cliched if you will - involve a diesel first, 4wd eventually. No pretenses of rock crawling or bug-out nonsense, I just want traction for snow/ice. Any idea how much fab work I'd have to do to fit a front driveline, either a twin-beam or a solid axle (I'm undecided)?

As for a diesel... I know the 4BT is everybody's favorite these days. What about a 7.3 IDI - will it fit nicely? How about a 6BT? Also, I've heard mention of a "4-cylinder Ford diesel" in some of these, but can't find anything about them. What is that engine?
Hi moroza, welcome to the forum.

I did a quick search for the whole site here and found these results. Not a whole lot on your specific questions but perhaps some help or pointers until someone who knows can respond. Good luck. jim
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results

Old 05-02-2016, 01:57 PM
moroza
Senior User
That link didn't work, but I found a few threads with some info anyway. I also found that massive 76-page vintage stepvan thread on HAMB, but while great eye candy and general-curiosity-reading - who knew someone could get excited about a stepvan? I get it now - it wasn't very informative about this Ford or related chassis.

I found some of my answers - the 4-cyl diesel is a Hercules, the 300/4spd drivetrain is supposed to be pretty solid (I actually just did a headgasket on an '86 300; coming from German cars, what a piece of cake!), and people seem to like them overall.

I'm still in the dark about:
- Bigger diesel offerings, 7.3 IDI and 6BT fitment in particular
- 4wd possibility. I found some info on 4wd swaps for 75+ Econolines, but not for the early ones.
- Chassis details. Unibody (presumably steel) with aluminum aftermarket body? Huh?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The older step vans that Ford put out were based on the truck chassis, Like the F600 series. The bodies were made by the likes of Morgan, Grumman Olson, Boyertown, ect......And that dates back into the 50's for that type of step van.

If this is a P40 model, it would be more likely a truck chassis.

Does this have duel rear wheels??

Does this step van have like 20" rims?? Maybe even 20" split rims?? That would put it in the F600 series for sure. No E series ever used any wheel bigger than the 16" or the older 16.5 wheel.

I'm thinking that the E series chassis for step vans didn't start until the early/mid 80's, that's when I remember seeing the step vans, and like I said, they had the 16" wheels.

That 4-cyl diesel Hercules engine was used in the bread trucks in that era, just local around town deliveries, I don't think it would have the power to get a 15K# truck up a very good grade.

I remember the old utilities company's (gas and electric) having that type of step van in their fleet, with the 300-6 engine, as they just ran around town with them, and the truck was never turn off, it ran for the 8 hour shift, the 6 would run cooler for the day, and it would run there on-board compressors and generators off tranny PTO's.

What conversions your looking to do, you might be more into the heavy F series for that. I don't think the E series would offer you any swap parts.

Here's a Link for body parts, and it might offer you some insight on what the P40 had to offer in chassis parts??

Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 PM
moroza
Senior User
Here's what I'm eyeing: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5500699909.html

Seller says it has duallies and a one-piece solid beam front axle, "like on a Model A", so not a TTB.

I wish I were closer to the truck; a lot of my questions regarding the body and front suspension would be answered, but I'm about 8 hours away, trying to get all my ducks in a row before dragging a friend along on a 2-day trip.

Neither that site nor Mill Supply have anything for a pre-75 Ford I can get normal wear items (brake parts, for example) from RockAuto and the like.