Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Long tube headers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:59 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Looking for Long tube headers...

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a good set of long tube headers that I can install on my '92, 302, AOD, 4x4, Ext. Cab
I'm gonna transfer my current exhaust over to my new truck, '95 Eddie Bauer, 302, 4R70W, 4x4, Ext. Cab. It has a cracked passenger manifold and I think "1" of the cats is junk!

I've been looking and researching for posts and reviews online...and can't find a solid direction.

So far, I'm leaning towards Hedman or Pacesetter's. I've done Flow techs and that was a PIA for anther friend.
And everyone seems to be Hedman or Pacesetter for quality and installation ease.

Can anyone give me some insight on their ideas for Long tubes and their experience with either?

Thanks again!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:04 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Pacesetters. I've messed with all of them, bent many a header before I knew Pacesetters fit right out of the box. Don't waste your time with anything else.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:15 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Thank for the quick reply '89f2urd!

I have seen a few of your posts mentioning them and I was glad you chimed in!!

Amazon has them for $266.99, with Prime! $33 cheaper than Summit!

Old 07-16-2016, 11:38 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Update....

Got the PaceSetter headers. Installed and found in the process that the #6 tube has interference problems.

The spark plug wire lies directly on the tube. Also the bolt that attaches the oil dipstick tube is grinding the tube down. It looks like the driver side header wasn't manufactured correctly. I had to grind part of the bolt head off just to get it started, but even with the head being ground down it still grinds the tube.

Also there is fitment issues with the O2 sensor for the passenger side. The O2 bung is at 70-80°, right where the trans is and it's a bugger!

At the moment...my personal experience isn't a fond one.
They are closed for the weekend, so nothing I can do until Monday and call them.

I did find another user that had same headers and his driver side didn't appear to have the same problem. His problem was O2 sensor and the #3 plug wire being close to the header.
I posted the link for reference when I speak with Pacesetter.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ong-tubes.html

It sucks as I have both trucks down with swapping the exhaust.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:32 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
what do you mean by "the bolt that attaches the dipstick tube is grinding the tube down"? like the header tube is in the way of installing the bolt? its not uncommon to have to thread all (or the ones that wont clear the tube at full unthread) bolts in a turn or two, with the header loose, then tighten them down in a uniform fashion so as not to interfere with the primary tube.

is this what youre talking about?

its also likely that the 351 trucks don't have the same issues with he o2 sensors...ive never had that issue but I also don't have automagics either

Old 07-16-2016, 12:42 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is also not uncommon to have to use Header Bolts ... They have smaller heads.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-16-2016, 04:59 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Here are several pics.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:13 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Hmmmm I'm curious to see what the customer service has to say about that, I've never even had that issue on a junky set of headers for these. That's beyond what I would consider acceptable, and the bolts are 5/16" heads correct? You should always be able to get a box wrench on 5/16 header bolts, and that's obviously not the case there.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:14 PM
choate
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got Chinese hooker headers knock offs on my 351w. It worked out fine. Had a shop install them. They said no issues with them. $160 for 301 or 304 (cant remember which) stainless long tubes. There is a thread somewhere. Speed daddy headers. I've had them on for 6-8 mo with no issues at all

Old 07-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
That's messed up ... But I'm pretty sure they will do nothing about it.

You're going to wind up heating it up and denting it a little, Gawd I hate saying that!

Be extra careful not to cross thread your head ...

-Enjoy

Old 07-16-2016, 05:53 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Yeah, at the moment, I'm not gonna molest the headers. I'll wait to see what their service department says, but I have a feeling, I'm gonna have to do the dimpling and heating effect.
I'm hoping that with the pictures, they can stand by there warranty.....But if they don't, I'll be sure and make a note on here each time for they're failure to correct a problem.

I'm glad the pictures I posted helped. I was hoping it wasn't me that saw a Major problem!

I did look for the Speed Daddy headers, but they were only available for the 351.
I saw you pics some time ago, and they looked great!!

Wish I could say the same.....

Old 07-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Originally Posted by timbersteel
Yeah, at the moment, I'm not gonna molest the headers. I'll wait to see what their service department says
Most definitely ...

Dent work is exclusive to, Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, to get what ya gotta git done, done!

EDIT
BTW, The mention of cross threading your head, was meant two ways!
Your motors head and Yours! Don't get impatient or you'll fup the motors heads!

-Enjoy

Old 07-16-2016, 06:27 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
To be honest, I think they'll send you another header...I've installed a few sets over the years and never had any issue with them whatsoever. Cheap garbage fits fine at the flange, theirs should too....the cheap garbage headers that flood the market are half the price of the PS, I'd be surprised if they didn't entertain your position at the very least.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:53 AM
choate
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timbersteel
Yeah, at the moment, I'm not gonna molest the headers. I'll wait to see what their service department says, but I have a feeling, I'm gonna have to do the dimpling and heating effect.
I'm hoping that with the pictures, they can stand by there warranty.....But if they don't, I'll be sure and make a note on here each time for they're failure to correct a problem.

I'm glad the pictures I posted helped. I was hoping it wasn't me that saw a Major problem!

I did look for the Speed Daddy headers, but they were only available for the 351.
I saw you pics some time ago, and they looked great!!

Wish I could say the same.....
Just so you know I asked the shop which is an old school race shop if he had to heat and or dent the headers to get them to work and his answer was a chuckle then yeah that always has to be done a little. Also I saw a video where these guy beat up a set of long tubes to see how much it affected their performance and it was literally none and they were putting several golf ball sized dents in them so I wouldn't worry about that too much but if others say they should fit with zero issues then I'd see about getting a new set too

Edit. BTW I have a full set of stage 8 locking header bolts that were never used I'd get rid of now since I'll never use them if anybody is interested. The race shop said they don't like them for some reason and didn't use on my install

Last edited by choate; 07-17-2016 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Added about header bolts
Old 07-18-2016, 05:24 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Update...

I talked with their customer service department. The guy listened to the problem and I sent the same pictures I posted here.

He called me back and said they pulled another header and it's the same as the one I have.
They are gonna elongate the bolt holes for the #6 tube. He also Wasn't aware of the O2 sensor bung being in the worst place. I explained that they need to be moved 45° down from there prior location.

I'm lost...how is elongating the hole going to make it any easier to install the bolt....
I explained that #7,8 are excellent. The tubes cone far enough out and there is plenty of room to add another 1/2-1" to the #5,6 tubes.
I also sent a pic from another user from 2010 and you can tell how the #6 tube is further out.

'89f2turd, do you have any pics of your Pacesetter header install?
Maybe Conanski has some. Id like any pics to confirm the problem.

Quick Reply: Looking for Long tube headers...