1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dad & Son 1956 Ford F-100 BBW Longbed Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 02:33 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filthy6
Starting to understand why the only guy in town willing to do it wants $300.00 to install rear window and windshield. Good luck
Yea, first attempt was late at night and tired; not smart. We cleaned up the window track and painted it to prevent rust. We used 3 people to install the window, with some dish soap around the track. It went much better. It was a pain, but ultimately it went it much better. I think the trick is working back and forth on both sides, and I used a kind of stick tool from lmc. The stick worked wayyyy better than the rope. The bottom corners of the weatherstripping don't completely fill in, how do I resolve that?
Painted the window track::

Dad admiring our hard work ::

Old 10-10-2016, 10:10 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Nice progress

Watching your build brings back memories , some of them fond! There is a lot to be said about the feeling of accomplishment as a stage of the restoration is done. Your truck is really taking shape; and you've got some enthusiastic helpers as well!
Keep taking it one step at a time and you will be driving in no time. Love seeing the progress pics. Keep them coming.

My truck is currently covered in snow, as we have had cooler weather and snow with it.

Tom

Old 10-13-2016, 05:42 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Got some slow work in lately, as I've has some medical issues/appointments. Since the last update, we got the seat and new seatbelt installed. Gauge cluster installed, but we are having a problem with the high beam indicator. Steering wheel and horn were reinstalled tonight. I por15'd the steering wheel, we will see if it holdstill up, not thrilled with the way it came out, but better than it was. Also, the horn button is about a 9/10, as I hand painted the red. Could have made sharper edges.

My original plan was a metallic blue truck with grey interior, hence the white seatbelt, that don't fit great against the brown. Sticking with the brown/green due to current medical issues
The dash paint is kind of bumpy. I was hoping compounding it would bring it back looking good, but little to no improvement. Any other ideas to save it so it doesn't need a repaint?

Pardon the mess of tools:

Me and dad chilling in the truck:

Me and Lily taking it easy

Old 10-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts
Very nice job!!

Old 10-15-2016, 06:55 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Got a lot of good stuff done today!
Finally got the fenders installed, and lined up really nice to the gravel pan. Then, installed the parking lamps and grille, with all new sockets and wiring harnesses with snap connectors. All wiring done by us.
Dad is always just laying around

I still need to install the hood bumpers and try and figure out how to move the driver's side of the hood back a little. Front end is 90% back together!!

Old 10-15-2016, 07:49 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
It's looking good, Thomas! You and your family are working cast especially considering you just got out of the hospital.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:41 AM
lilpanther
Freshman User
Great work on the truck, I love seeing family projects. I'm not sure how the hood hinges on a 56' mount to the cab but on our 50' you could unbolt the hinges inside the truck and they allowed for some front to back adjustment.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:52 AM
Rusty 57
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great to see you back working on the truck. Truck looks real good. I like the way the steering wheel turned out.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:32 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
So I think I figured out why the truck has no brakes. Took apart the driver front brake assembly, and found the brake adjuster was frozen, and the wheel cylinder was frozen and looks like this lol:

Got the new wheel cylinder installed:

I have the springs and shoe holders all in my tumbler getting cleaned up. The brake adjuster is soaking in pb blast to try and free it up. Only 3 more wheels to do lol

Old 10-19-2016, 09:25 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Progress

Slow going is still progress, you've come along way since the start.

Glad to hear you are back at it.

Tom

Old 10-19-2016, 12:59 PM
rzns60
Senior User
Great build progress. Enjoying following along. Keep up the great work.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:20 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Thanks guys! More progress today, decided to give the hvlp gun a try bc we had some amazing weather. Did the back of the tailgate, and the passenger fender. I want to paint the front clip piece by piece, bc the cab, doors, and bed will take a ton of work. Also, I do not have the space to do the truck in 1 shot. Panels would be rusted up before I ever got finished.

another update, we got the brake shoe adjuster unfrozen, and into the tumbler.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:45 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
New paint

Painted parts are looking good!

Is that a Ford color ?

Tom

Old 10-20-2016, 10:14 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Your painted parts look good. But the picture of the tailgate confuses me. That is a picture of the inside , or back of the tailgate, right? Then why do the FORD letters not appear backwards or reversed? Did you flip the picture before you posted it?

Old 10-20-2016, 11:25 AM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be interested to know if you have any painting experience. If not and you got that result I might be tempted to try myself at some point. Looks good.

Quick Reply: Dad & Son 1956 Ford F-100 BBW Longbed Project