1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dad & Son 1956 Ford F-100 BBW Longbed Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 12:42 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
This looks better...

Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2016, 09:29 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tip49
Painted parts are looking good!
Is that a Ford color ?
Tom
This is not a Ford color, however it is similar to the Ford logo blue, similar to the bottom here with more of a metallic look. The color is called metallic royal blue, and I absolutely love the color and the way it came out. A gallon with the hardener and thinner was $99.

Originally Posted by abe
Your painted parts look good. But the picture of the tailgate confuses me. That is a picture of the inside , or back of the tailgate, right? Then why do the FORD letters not appear backwards or reversed? Did you flip the picture before you posted it?
Nice eye! Yes, I did flip the picture for the thread, bc I thought it would look better in the thread with the ford printed legibly. Good to know people are really looking at all my photos!

Originally Posted by filthy6
I would be interested to know if you have any painting experience. If not and you got that result I might be tempted to try myself at some point. Looks good.
I never had any professional painting experience, it is just a skill acquired over time. I have always had good control and motion with my hands, and really the biggest part of any paint job is prep. Youtube has a lot of great videos for all aspects of automotive prep and paint that are very helpful. I even watched a video on how to do the initial cleaning and setup on my new HVLP gun. I never used one before, and didn't even have to change any settings after I did what the video said. I have no idea how long this paint job will last, but for my driver and budget, it will be great.

All I got done today was finish up the front drivers side brakes and test out the fender on the truck. Anyone know how to install the fender welt? Do I need to use a few dabs of weatherstrip or contact adhesive to keep it attached to the fender for installation? With the shape of the fender where the welt goes, it seems like it would take at least 3 people to work the welt while attaching the fender.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:30 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Clamps

I cut slight relief cuts near the bolt holes, took weather strip adhesive and clamped the install over night with standard plastic spring loaded clamps.

It has held up for 10 years so far.

Tom

Old 10-22-2016, 11:26 AM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Originally Posted by tip49
I cut slight relief cuts near the bolt holes, took weather strip adhesive and clamped the install over night with standard plastic spring loaded clamps.

Tom
I purchased the welt with the relief cuts in it, and I checked to make sure they clear the bolt holes. I think the adhesive and clamps will be the way to go. Since I am going to clear coat the truck after its all painted, I will have to wait to attach it

Old 10-22-2016, 07:07 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Well, we have been having insane wind and rain here. Carport completely destroyed, and my grille got a chip right in the middle of it. Im so bummed right now. I feel like nothing goes right, and I cant have anything nice.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:47 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
We had strong winds and heavy rain here Thur night. Hang in there. It could have been worse!

Old 10-23-2016, 11:28 AM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mother nature kicked you in the nuts! That sucks but at least it wasn't YOU dropping a wrench on the grill. You or someone on your pit crew will figure out a fix. Hang in there!

Old 11-07-2016, 04:08 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Been a while

It's been a little while since my last update. I wasn't feeling great recently, and not much has been accomplished. so far, we have removed the rear bed stake pockets, and welded on the driver's side. we are having a hell of a time getting the stake pockets mounted and tailgate fitted properly. I wish I had car friends who would come lend a hand bc it's tough handling the tailgate with just 2 people.

the driver's door latch mechanism has not been working right, making it hard to close the door. I ordered the autoloc bear claw kit thinking it would work, and got a great price on it. after doing some research, doesn't look like that kit works with the original handles. I was thinking of getting the Altman easy latch, but found out you can't lock the doors by pushing the handle forward; so I would either need to install a lock cylinder on the driver's side door, or keyless entry. not sure what to do here.
looks like I have a lot of research and reading to do. trying to plan this out to get the doors ready to go.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Altman kit for my 56 and just cut a hole in the driver door for a lock cylinder. Mid fifty sells a kit that is keyed for ignition and door locks using same key.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:19 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Again, progress is slow. my energy level has been kind of low. we got the passenger side rear stake bed pocket mostly welded in. Hopefully we can hang the tailgate and brake lights soon. the passenger side wall was shot, so we had to cut it out

And that's the guilty muddy puppy I had to deal with this morning

Old 11-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep at her, you are still getting loads more done then some of us. Looking good too by the way

Old 11-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best thing to do when you feel resistance is to step back, take a break, and go searching on line to see what others are doing to their trucks. Its amazing and rekindles the reasons you got attached to this project, this truck, in the beginning.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:24 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You have done a fantastic job so far

Old 11-14-2016, 01:48 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't make that truck so nice that that dirty dog can't jump in and share the fun.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:27 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Only a few things to update. My wife, dad, and I went out to visit my family in Las Vegas over Thanksgiving. My sister just had her 2nd baby.
Left: My goddaughter Savannah 3.5 years ago Right: New niece Kinsley. Boy, I aged hard the last few years....

While out there, we took Savannah to the Luxor for the Tournament of Kings aka Medieval Times, she had a blast!

While we were gone, there were high winds, and the carport collapsed again. Ugh. Its going to cost me more to reinforce it, then the whole thing cost! It was so windy, some of the stakes ripped out of the ground! Not the hammer in kind, the screw in kind that go a foot down!
The only work we have done on the truck is to mount the tailgate, which has been a huge job! The previous owner really destroyed this bed with his welder. The bed needs too much work, and I wish we never started repairs.

I also placed a decent sized order for some parts while suppliers were having cyber monday sales (I have a shopping addiction....) My ambitions outweigh my energy and skills lol
I really won on a trade I made with a guy for a brand new stock panelboard Dennis Carpenter headliner. I traded him 2 wrench sets that cost me maybe $40 a few years ago for it straight up. The headliner has 2 small creases on the side, and a small quarter size mark, thats it! You cannot even tell, and this is a driver vehicle, so its perfect for me, and cant beat the price!

Quick Reply: Dad & Son 1956 Ford F-100 BBW Longbed Project