Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Recalibration for speedo after tire upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recalibration for speedo after tire upgrade?

So, I just put new tires on the truck and need to recalibrate the speedo. I'm assuming it's best to just get a tuner that can do this as well? Thanks!

Old 04-29-2016, 10:50 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Seems like an SCT Tuner is the way to go. On my 6.0 I had the X3 with custom tunes but I see now the X4 is available plus you can get a windshield mount for it. I'm highly debating doing this or possibly splurging for the Livewire. Thoughts?

Old 05-01-2016, 03:42 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hypertech has a speedo only calibrator.
X4 and Livewire will only do it through either a canned SCT tune or a custom tune. No way to keep stock parameters and change the tire size with those two. Running custom tines via Livewire TS+ and enjoy them.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:27 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Hypertech has a speedo only calibrator.
X4 and Livewire will only do it through either a canned SCT tune or a custom tune. No way to keep stock parameters and change the tire size with those two. Running custom tines via Livewire TS+ and enjoy them.
That's perfectly fine because I wouldn't mind having more power and setting the tire size. It seems like just the speedo calibrator is 150 bucks, and you can get the full tuner for like 400. I'm not sure if I want the Livewire with the display or just get the X4 and the windshield mount for it.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:35 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
The LiveWire is nice as the overall unit is smaller than the X4, but the screen is nicely laid out. I like it's size and ability to monitor lots of PIDs.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:22 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
The LiveWire is nice as the overall unit is smaller than the X4, but the screen is nicely laid out. I like it's size and ability to monitor lots of PIDs.
I get the monitoring thing, but I've got the Torque App for my phone that's setup for monitoring. I used to have a 6.0 and had to have all the gauges and that got old having to monitor so many things. The other problem with the LiveWire is worrying about it getting stolen leaving it out on the windshield. Seen this happen to a few people now.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
I get the monitoring thing, but I've got the Torque App for my phone that's setup for monitoring. I used to have a 6.0 and had to have all the gauges and that got old having to monitor so many things. The other problem with the LiveWire is worrying about it getting stolen leaving it out on the windshield. Seen this happen to a few people now.
That is why I have auto insurance and have all of my backups and stock configuration stored on my PC. I am not too worried about my Livewire getting swiped.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:01 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Olytlr
That is why I have auto insurance and have all of my backups and stock configuration stored on my PC. I am not too worried about my Livewire getting swiped.
By the time I paid my deductible I could just buy another Livewire. lol I'd just prefer to not have it stolen in the first place. If I parked in a garage who cares, but I don't plus I don't trust everyone at work either.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:25 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I can see if my ae will adjust it on my truck...

Old 05-09-2016, 10:15 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
So, at this point I think I'm gonna go with the X4. The Livewire is another 200 dollars, and it seems to be for those people that want to always have it up on the windshield and on. I don't want to worry about someone breaking into my truck and stealing it, so I would rather go with the X4 that I can just hide in the center console. Also, the X-cal has come a long way since the X3 since it can now display PID's and datalog.

As far as a tuner goes I'm leaning towards 5-Star and getting it through Stage 3 Motorsports. Livernois only offers their tunes through their tuner which I really don't like and feel the X4 is a much better unit because it can load multiple custom tunes. So that pretty much rules Livernois out, but I've heard MPT is good as well.

Thoughts?

Old 05-10-2016, 07:12 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Is Stage 3 giving you some kind of a deal? If not, then go straight to 5 Star and skip the middle man. 5 Star will likely give you a forum discount if you mention it.

FWIW, the 87 octane P/T tune pulls nicely and my in-town mileage is up slightly...back to about what I was getting in stock form before the 275/65/20 KO2s were added. I have a 91 octane P/T tune that I've yet to run.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:57 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Is Stage 3 giving you some kind of a deal? If not, then go straight to 5 Star and skip the middle man. 5 Star will likely give you a forum discount if you mention it.

FWIW, the 87 octane P/T tune pulls nicely and my in-town mileage is up slightly...back to about what I was getting in stock form before the 275/65/20 KO2s were added. I have a 91 octane P/T tune that I've yet to run.
Sounds like you're happy with the 5 Star tunes. That's probably who I'll go with. I see it comes with 3 tunes so I'll probably get the 87 octane P/T, 91 octane P/T, and 91 octane Performance. I don't see a reason for the trans only as I can get that from the canned tune, and it's pretty rare to see 93 octane these days.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:53 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
We have 93 octane pretty readily available here in VA. However, just personal preference, but I always run an octane tier higher than the tune.
I've been running the 87 tune on 89 octane, and just recently began filling with 93 octane in prep for running the 91 tune. That little layer of buffer is good in my eyes, and should aid in the event I get a bad batch of fuel...hopefully.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
We have 93 octane pretty readily available here in VA. However, just personal preference, but I always run an octane tier higher than the tune.
I've been running the 87 tune on 89 octane, and just recently began filling with 93 octane in prep for running the 91 tune. That little layer of buffer is good in my eyes, and should aid in the event I get a bad batch of fuel...hopefully.
Yea, we don't have much in the way of 93 unfortunately and I don't drive out of my way to find it.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:39 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
If you give us a call we can get your speedometer fixed and give you more power and torque.

Quick Reply: Recalibration for speedo after tire upgrade?