2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Engine power increase?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerdude
You are right. Those numbers will be at the crank, not at the rear wheels.

Figure 15%-20%-ish loss for an automatic transmission drivetrain.

Still, bragging rights are bragging rights, I guess.
There's much more of a loss than just parasitic drag. These engines are 'torque managed' to keep from blowing the drivelines up. You rarely get anything close the figures quoted. All the manufacturers do this, and I think it's total B.S..

Old 05-05-2016, 05:33 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's why I drive gas trucks. Not enough power to break stuff hahahaha

Old 05-05-2016, 05:52 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
There's much more of a loss than just parasitic drag. These engines are 'torque managed' to keep from blowing the drivelines up. You rarely get anything close the figures quoted. All the manufacturers do this, and I think it's total B.S..

While this is true, it doesn't paint a complete picture. Having a nanny on a 800 ft/lb motor is < having a nanny on a 1000 ft/lb motor. So, while we may not be getting the full load at all times we are getting more than the last two generations of the 6.7 and that's what folks are excited about.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:24 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Why bother to engineer a massively powerful diesel engine if the transmission cannot handle it? Wouldn't it seem smart to upgrade the transmission to match?

The current 6.7L diesel supposedly puts down 860lb-ft @ 1600RPM. Why is it so hard to turn the tires by flooring the truck, then, even with traction control off? There is hardly any weight over those rear tires. Yet with our F-150, either the current 2.7L or the old 5.0L, you can effortlessly light up the rears with traction off! I would think 860lb-ft would utterly shred the tires!

Instead, you "feel" the torque surge in higher gears when already moving.

Whatever. Even though I had many reservations and second thoughts, I'm switching back to the gas truck...although even that is power-limited until a certain RPM is reached.

I have a buddy who drives a 2009 Duramax. That Allison must be one tough tranny because his truck is running a DPF and EGR delete, larger turbo, straight pipe 6" diameter, injector upgrade, and a performance tuner. He drives it hard; he lights up his rear tires almost every time he takes off, and that truck just sounds evil. The trans has not been modified and it seems to be holding up fine.

I'm not advocating driving like that, but once in awhile...

Old 05-07-2016, 09:43 AM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I have a buddy who drives a 2009 Duramax. That Allison must be one tough tranny because his truck is running a DPF and EGR delete, larger turbo, straight pipe 6" diameter, injector upgrade, and a performance tuner. He drives it hard; he lights up his rear tires almost every time he takes off, and that truck just sounds evil. The trans has not been modified and it seems to be holding up fine.
He is either really lucky or on borrowed time.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:10 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why bother to engineer a massively powerful diesel engine if the transmission cannot handle it? Wouldn't it seem smart to upgrade the transmission to match?

The current 6.7L diesel supposedly puts down 860lb-ft @ 1600RPM. Why is it so hard to turn the tires by flooring the truck, then, even with traction control off? There is hardly any weight over those rear tires. Yet with our F-150, either the current 2.7L or the old 5.0L, you can effortlessly light up the rears with traction off! I would think 860lb-ft would utterly shred the tires!

Whatever. Even though I had many reservations and second thoughts, I'm switching back to the gas truck...although even that is power-limited until a certain RPM is reached.

I outgrew my "burn the tires" phase many years ago. Dudes who do all that to their truck and burn up high dollar tires are compensating for insecurities.

I'm curious how many miles a year you put on a truck troverman. The list in your signature shows 4 trucks over a 6 year span? What's the story there?

Old 05-07-2016, 12:56 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
I outgrew my "burn the tires" phase many years ago. Dudes who do all that to their truck and burn up high dollar tires are compensating for insecurities.

I'm curious how many miles a year you put on a truck troverman. The list in your signature shows 4 trucks over a 6 year span? What's the story there?
I peel out once in awhile, just because I feel like it. But not often.

The trucks usually have about 25k when I trade. The truck I have ordered will be the last for at least 5 years. Money will not be as free flowing next year. I have been fortunate to have the other trucks.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:30 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I peel out once in awhile, just because I feel like it. But not often.

The trucks usually have about 25k when I trade. The truck I have ordered will be the last for at least 5 years. Money will not be as free flowing next year. I have been fortunate to have the other trucks.
Money has been pretty free flowing for me for the last 12 years, but I have bought one truck in that time, a 2005 F150. I can't imagine trading trucks after 25k miles. You must be getting amazing prices on new trucks.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 15 powerstroke would spin on demand easily, very easily

Old 05-07-2016, 04:33 PM
Fieldtester
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both a 2004 duramax, and an 08 f-350 currently and I have to say I love that Allison! Never had a problem ever with it and I too am running a lot of upgrades to the duramax. My f350 is bone stock and the tranny shifts like crap and has half the miles as the duramax. I love the external filter on the Allison too. Servicing the ford trans sucks! You have to bring it to the dealer to flush, and my local dealer refuses to drop the pan and change the internal filter. He says ford doesn't require it. I change the spin on on my Allison every engine oil change. It's right next to the engine oil filter and is super easy, so why not!!

Old 05-07-2016, 09:56 PM
EdwardC
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wrong thread