1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F250 turn signals gripe

Old 04-28-2016, 04:54 PM
banjotx
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 F250 turn signals gripe

frequent user of turn signals, but these things don't do right. I need to be retrained On how to use these new style turn signals. I can hear the indicators in city driving but not at hi way speeds and can see the indicator lights if I drop the steering wheel down low enough, but still doesn't seem like the lever has much of a positive up or down position. The manual indicates a 3 blink and auto return with a slight touch of the shifter. Maybe I just need to adjust to this newer to me turn signal shifter. Can't complain to much when driving a brand new truck.
One other gripe consistent with my other F250s is the dash lights fade out when ever I hook up the trailer lights and the dimmer switch only works for the interior lights and dash lights are almost non existent .

Old 04-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Better check your trailer light wiring, grounds, etc. They shouldn't affect your dash lights at all. As far as the dash light dimmer switch, only push in half way to dim/brighten dash lights, all the way in for interior lights.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:42 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Agree with Tom on the grounds. Never had that problem when hitching.

Yeah, the turn signals take some getting used to. I really like them, but it took me a while to get the hang of them.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:32 PM
rdlouks
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on the checking your trailer wiring for ground issues. I do agree that the turn signals on the new Super Duties do require a bit of a learning curve. When I drove my Brothers 2011 Super Duty I thought his turn signal switch was defective, so when I got my 2016 F-350 I was aware of how they operated, and now that I am used to them I like it.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:27 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
When changing lanes you can hold the stock partway up or down and the signals will continue to flash until you let go. A simple one finger operation.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:47 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
I personally despise the new euro-sedan style computer controlled turn signals. Even after a year and a half I still can't figure out if I pushed the stalk only to the three(ish) flash point or all the way to the "on" position. About once a week I can't get the signals to turn off when I want them to, so anyone behind me must think that I am drunk or just can't make up my mind which direction I am going.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:06 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Super Duty DJ
About once a week I can't get the signals to turn off when I want them to, so anyone behind me must think that I am drunk or just can't make up my mind which direction I am going.

LOL! I just did that this morning gettin' on the highway...

I'm used to the turn signals and actually like them, and can still screw it up if I'm not paying attention to how hard I push on the stalk.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:20 AM
BBsound
Junior User
I cannot stand the same side cancel. If the right signal is blinking and I hit the signal for right again it SHOULD NOT turn OFF!!
I encounter this often when making quick successive turns in parking lots , etc.
It really pisses me off when people do not signal so when my truck turns my signals off I want to friggin scream.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:25 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
my turn signals work great. no complaints here.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Dash lights are controled with the rocker switch by the light switch. Just don't push it down all the way and the dash lights will get brighter. There is nothing about how that switch works. If you push it to hard than the dome light comes on so don't push it that hard.
As for the turn signals they suck. Why make it so complicated ether on or off not flash 3 times that's as stupid as it gets.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bone
Dash lights are controled with the rocker switch by the light switch. Just don't push it down all the way and the dash lights will get brighter. There is nothing about how that switch works. If you push it to hard than the dome light comes on so don't push it that hard.
As for the turn signals they suck. Why make it so complicated ether on or off not flash 3 times that's as stupid as it gets.
I don't see it as complicated at all. For generations mechanical signals have had two positions, all the way to lock the signal on and halfway to turn it off upon release. You can still operate your signals that same exact way, or you can release immediately and get three flashes then off.
As for manually cancelling the signals, you can push the stalk left or right to cancel regardless of the direction selected. In other words, if you are sitting at a light with the right signal blinking away and decide you don't want it flashing any more - you can push it right to cancel or left to cancel. Either way works.
Now the high beam selector catches me because my Lincoln (and most other vehicle I've owned the past 20 years) requires the stalk to be pushed forward to select high beam. Sometimes when I am trying to click backwards to turn highs down I also turn the signal on. It can be quite the light show then!

Old 04-29-2016, 07:58 AM
Wingit929
Senior User
Took me awhile to getting used to the signals popping back. So used to the lever being down I would turn them on then turn them off thinking I didn't push hard enough.

As far as the half way dimmer I didn't know that. That may be helpful.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been using the new signal light controls since it came out. Don't even think about it now. By the way, all vehicles now work the same way.

And no issues with lights when towing either.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Wingit929
Senior User
Originally Posted by msgtord
By the way, all vehicles now work the same way.
I assume you mean all Ford vehicles because my Jeep is not like my Ford.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My wife's Mazda is the same as my truck. I'm pretty sure it's become the new standard set up for signals, some manufacturers could be lagging a bit but most new vehicles I believe have signals that function the same. I like them myself. No issues.

I wonder sometimes when I read about people having 'issues' with their dash light brightness and stuff if really their lights are just set to 'auto' and the odd time when they turn off or on near dusk or dawn or differing light conditions is the actual culprit. Because my lights, dash lights, and whatnot work flawlessly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 F250 turn signals gripe