6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 powerstroke fuel injector issues

Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 AM
gbrass
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4 powerstroke fuel injector issues

I have an 08 F350 that just went in to the shop for injector problems. The shop said 3 injectors are bad and all should be replaced. The truck has 95000 miles on it. Is this normal for the injectors on this engine to go out about now? I just got into Ford's so I don't know as much about these engines.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Originally Posted by gbrass
I have an 08 F350 that just went in to the shop for injector problems. The shop said 3 injectors are bad and all should be replaced. The truck has 95000 miles on it. Is this normal for the injectors on this engine to go out about now? I just got into Ford's so I don't know as much about these engines.
I'm a 6.0 guy, but injectors are injectors. To fail at 95000 miles isn't the most uncommon thing in the world, have you owned the truck since new? On time oil changes? Fuel additives? Could just be one of those things that happens randomly too.

If you know it had fuel injector problems, how did you diagnose that? Otherwise, the easy fix is to yes replace them, as long as properly diagnosed. Now 3 failing at once, at 95000 miles, is a bit much. To take the easy route, if it's just sticky injectors and rough cold running your experiencing you could try a 60$ oil additive next change to try and free them up

Old 04-29-2016, 09:04 AM
gbrass
New User
I just bought the truck about 2 months ago. It seemed like it was leaking oil so I took it in and they said there was an extra gallon or so of fuel in the oil which was making it overflow. They said 3 of the injectors were letting too much fuel into the chambers and it was pushing it past the piston rings. And they found this out for sure by scanning the engine system.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its the nature of a diesel, the 6.4's injectors are actually quite reliable when compared to pretty much any of the other motors. They are very prone to damage from water though...

Make sure the shop pulls the fuel rail, drains fuel from it into a black cap, and checks for metal. If you have multiple injectors failing it could be a sign of the previous owner not maintaining the fuel system. And its probably why the truck was for sale...

If there is no damage to the hpfp (no metal in the fuel system) then just drop new sticks in and continue driving. Also, 6.4s do have fuel in oil problems. It wouldn't surprise me if that didn't have much at all to do with your injectors. Excess idle time or excessive regen will cause the truck to "build" oil. The bad injectors are going to cause the dpf to fill up faster and thus excessive regen. Its also probably causing you some pretty horrid fuel economy.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:39 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just bought the truck about 2 months ago. It seemed like it was leaking oil so I took it in and they said there was an extra gallon or so of fuel in the oil which was making it overflow. They said 3 of the injectors were letting too much fuel into the chambers and it was pushing it past the piston rings. And they found this out for sure by scanning the engine system.
Before you spend the money for the injectors I would take it for a second opinion, just like CrazySOB stated it's not uncommon for 6.4 to overfill the oil with fuel, because of the Regen issues. Not saying you truly don't have issues but you never know. My 6.4 always had the fuel/ oil issue and I always completed a Regen, since I deleted (around 45,000 miles now) I have not had that issue, and I still have the original injectors. Run a good fuel lubricant every fill up and complete those regents, delete if possible, your truck will love you for it.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:04 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
If you are looking for a good additive either the Ford stuff or Stanadyne (Napa carries it now!!!!!!!) lubricity formula are by far and away the best aside from Archoil.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:16 PM
gbrass
New User
Thanks guys! Also, do you guys have any suggestions on delete systems that work well and what all I would need to do a full delete?

Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

6.0 and 6.4 injectors are totally different period. They function totally different and there failures are totally different as well.

If the shop claims the injectors are bad i would ask for the data that supports it. Its not uncommon for #8 and #7 in my experience but there are performance tests that can be conducted that provide the evidence of these failure issues, for example a look at the injector trims would be one, any of this information can be screen shoot and provided for the customer.

I would simply ask have what test where done on the injectors that determined they where bad.

Second thing, do not put aftermarket injectors in your truck period, companies like alliant power are cheap and know to cut corners at the customers cost, stick to the OEM its well worth the extra 10-15% they cost in the long run.

I would also recommend two fuel additives: the best http://opti-lube.com/xpd-diesel-fuel...r-product.html or the second best http://stanadyneadditives.com/lubricity-formula/

Old 05-05-2016, 12:15 AM
CrazySob
Senior User
There are only 3 additives you should be looking at... Stanadyne, Ford, and Archoil....

Unless they changed something opti-lube does NOT have a demulsifier....

Old 05-07-2016, 03:02 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by CrazySob
There are only 3 additives you should be looking at... Stanadyne, Ford, and Archoil....

Opti-lube has always had demulsifiers.

http://opti-lube.com/downloads/newsl...014+Newsletter

Opti-Lube has out preformed most popular fuel additives.

Lubricity Additive Study Results

The following are the preliminary results of a research study on diesel fuel Lubricity Additives. There is likely to be further commentary and explanation added at a future time.

PURPOSE:

The purpose of this research was to determine the ability of multiple diesel fuel additives to replace the vital lubricity component in ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel) fuel.

HISTORY:

ULSD fuel is the fuel currently mandated for use in all on road diesel engines. This fuel burns cleaner and is less polluting than it’s predecessor, called Low Sulfer Diesel Fuel. Low sulfer fuel contained less than 500 ppm of sulfer. ULSD contains 15 ppm or less.
As diesel fuel is further refined to remove the polluting sulfer, it is inadvertently stripped of its lubricating properties. This vital lubrication is a necessary component of the diesel fuel as it prevents wear in the fuel delivery system. Specifically, it lubricates pumps, high pressure pumps and injectors. Traditional Low sulfer diesel fuel typically contained enough lubricating ability to suffice the needs of these vital components. ULSD fuel, on the other hand, is considered to be very “dry” and incapable of lubricating vital fuel delivery components. As a result, these components are at risk of premature and even catastrophic failure when ULSD fuel is introduced to the system. As a result, all oil companies producing ULSD fuel must replace the lost lubricity with additives. All ULSD fuel purchased at retail fuel stations SHOULD be adequately treated with additives to replace this lost lubricity. The potential result of using inadequately treated fuel, as indicated above, can be catastrophic. There have been many documented cases of randomly tested samples of diesel fuel. These tests prove that often times the fuel we purchase is not adequately treated and may therefore contribute to accelerated wear of our fuel delivery systems. For this reason it may be prudent to use an after market diesel fuel additive to ENSURE adequate lubrication of the fuel delivery system. Additionally, many additives can offer added benefits such as cetane improver, and water separators or emulsifiers.

CONTENT:

In this study we will test multiple diesel fuel additives designed to replace lost lubricity. The primary component of this study is a side-by-side laboratory analysis of each additive’s ability to replace this vital lubricity. Additionally, claims of improving cetane, water separation or emulsification, bio-diesel compatibility and alcohol content will be noted. These notes were derived from information that was readily available to consumers (via the label and internet information) and none of this information has been evaluated for validity and/or performance. Cetane information has only been noted if the word “cetane” was used in the advertising information. The words “improves power” has not been translated to mean “improves cetane” in this evaluation. Information on alcohol content is provided by indicating “contains no alcohol”. Omission of the words “contains no alcohol” does not imply that it does contain alcohol. This information was simply missing in the information available to a consumer. However, the possibility of a form of alcohol in these products is possible. Additionally, information on dosages and cost per tankful are included for comparison purposes.

How Diesel Fuel Is Evaluated For Lubricating Ability:

Diesel fuel and other fluids are tested for lubricating ability using a device called a “High Frequency Reciprocating Rig” or HFRR. The HFRR is currently the Internationally accepted, standardized method to evaluate fluids for lubricating ability. It uses a ball bearing that reciprocates or moves back and forth on a metal surface at a very high frequency for a duration of 90 minutes. The machine does this while the ball bearing and metal surface are immersed in the test fluid (in this case, treated diesel fuel). At the end of the test the ball bearing is examined under a microscope and the “wear scar” on the ball bearing is measured in microns. The larger the wear scar, the poorer the lubricating ability of the fluid. Southwest Research runs every sample twice and averages the size of the wear scar.
The U.S. standard for diesel fuel says a commercially available diesel fuel should produce a wear scar of no greater than 520 microns. The Engine Manufacturers Association had requested a standard of a wear scar no greater than 460 microns, typical of the pre-ULSD fuels. Most experts agree that a 520 micron standard is adequate, but also that the lower the wear scar the better.

METHOD:

An independent research firm in Texas was hired to do the laboratory work. The cost of the research was paid for voluntarily by the participating additive manufacturers. Declining to participate and pay for the research were the following companies: Amsoil and Power Service. Because these are popular products it was determined that they needed to be included in the study. These products were tested using funds collected by diesel enthusiasts at “dieselplace.com”. Additionally, unconventional additives such as 2-cycle oil and used motor oil were tested for their abilities to aid in diesel fuel lubricity. These were also paid for by members of “dieselplace.com”.
The study was conducted in the following manner:
-The Research firm obtained a quantity of “untreated” ULSD fuel from a supplier. This fuel was basic ULSD fuel intended for use in
diesel engines"><span style=diesel engines" /> diesel engines">diesel engines
. However, this sample was acquired PRIOR to any attempt to additize the fuel for the purpose of replacing lost lubricity. In other words, it was a “worst case scenario, very dry diesel fuel” that would likely cause damage to any fuel delivery system. This fuel was tested using the HFRR at the Southwest Research Laboratory. This fuel was determined to have a very high HFRR score of 636 microns, typical of an untreated ULSD fuel. It was determined that this batch of fuel would be utilized as the baseline fuel for testing all of the additives. The baseline fuel HFRR score of 636 would be used as the control sample. All additives tested would be evaluated on their ability to replace lost lubricity to the fuel by comparing their scores to the control sample. Any score under 636 shows improvement to the fuels ability to lubricate the fuel delivery system of a
diesel engine"><span style=diesel engine" /> diesel engine">diesel engine

BLIND STUDY:

In order to ensure a completely unbiased approach to the study, the following steps were taken:
Each additive tested was obtained independently via internet or over the counter purchases. The only exceptions were
Opti-Lube XPD"><span style=Opti-Lube XPD" /> Opti-Lube XPD">Opti-Lube XPD
and the bio-diesel sample. The reason for this is because Opti-Lube XPD additive was considered “experimental” at the time of test enrollment and was not yet on the market. It was sent directly from Opti-Lube company. The bio-diesel sample was sponsored by Renewable Energy Group. One of their suppliers, E.H. Wolf and Sons in Slinger, Wisconsin supplied us with a sample of 100% soybean based bio-diesel. This sample was used to blend with the baseline fuel to create a 2% bio-diesel for testing.
Each additive was bottled separately in identical glass containers. The bottles were labeled only with a number. This number corresponded to the additive contained in the bottle. The order of numbering was done randomly by drawing names out of a hat. Only Spicer Research held the key to the additives in each bottle.
The additive samples were then sent in a box to An independent research firm. The only information given them was the ratio of fuel to be added to each additive sample. For example, bottle “A” needs to be mixed at a ratio of “480-1”. The ratio used for each additive was the “prescribed dosage” found on the bottle label for that product. Used motor oil and 2-cycle oil were tested at a rationally chosen ratio of 200:1.
The Research Laboratory mixed the proper ratio of each “bottled fluid” into a separate container containing the baseline fuel. The data, therefore, is meaningful because every additive is tested in the same way using the same fuel. A side-by-side comparison of the effectiveness of each additive is now obtainable.

THE RESULTS:

These results are listed in the order of performance in the HFRR test. The baseline fuel used in every test started at an HFRR score of 636. The score shown is the tested HFRR score of the baseline fuel/additive blend.
Also included is the wear scar improvement provided by the additive as well as other claimed benefits of the additive. Each additive is also categorized as a Multi-purpose additive, Multi-purpose + anti-gel, Lubricity only, non-conventional, or as an additive capable of treating both gasoline and diesel fuel.
As a convenience to the reader there is also information on price per treated tank of diesel fuel (using a 26 gallon tank), and dosage per 26 gallon tank provided as “ounces of additive per 26 gallon tank”.

In Order Of Performance:

1) 2% REG SoyPower biodiesel
HFRR 221, 415 micron improvement.
50:1 ratio of baseline fuel to 100% biodiesel
66.56 oz. of 100% biodiesel per 26 gallons of diesel fuel
Price: market value

2)Opti-Lube XPD
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, demulsifier
HFRR 317, 319 micron improvement.
256:1 ratio
13 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

3)FPPF RV, Bus, SUV Diesel/Gas fuel treatment
Gas and Diesel
cetane improver,
emulsifier"><span style=emulsifier" /> emulsifier">emulsifier
HFRR 439, 197 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.60/tank

4)Opti-Lube Summer Blend
Multi-purpose
demulsifier
HFRR 447, 189 micron improvement
3000:1 ratio
1.11 oz/tank
$0.68/tank

5)Opti-Lube Winter Blend
Muti-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver
HFRR 461, 175 micron improvement
512:1 ratio
6.5 oz/tank
$3.65/tank

6)Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, emulsifier, bio-diesel compatible
HFRR 470, 166 micron improvement
1000:1 ratio
3.32 oz/tank
$1.87/tank

7)Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
$1.09/tank

8)Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
Lubricity Only
demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 479, 157 micron improvement
3.32 oz/tank
$1.00/tank

9)Amsoil Diesel Concentrate
Multi-purpose
demulsifier, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 488, 148 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.16/tank

10)Power
Service Diesel Kleen"><span style=Service Diesel Kleen" /> Service Diesel Kleen">Service Diesel Kleen
+ Cetane Boost
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 575, 61 micron improvement
400:1 ratio
8.32 oz/tank
$1.58/tank

11)Howe’s Meaner Power Kleaner
Multi-purpose
Alcohol free
HFRR 586, 50 micron improvement
3.32 oz/tank
$1.36/tank

12)Stanadyne Performance Formula
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 603, 33 micron improvement
480:1 ratio
6.9 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

13)Used Motor Oil, Shell Rotella T 15w40, 5,000 miles used.
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage systems)
HFRR 634, 2 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
price: market value

14)Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant
Gas or diesel
HFRR 641, 5 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change)
427:1 ratio
7.8 oz/tank
$2.65/tank

15)B1000 Diesel Fuel Conditioner by Milligan Biotech
Multi-purpose, canola oil based additive
HFRR 644, 8 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change)
3.32 oz/tank
$2.67/tank

16)FPPF Lubricity Plus Fuel Power
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
Emulsifier"><span style=Emulsifier" /> Emulsifier">Emulsifier
, alcohol free
HFRR 675, 39 microns worse than baseline fuel
3.32 oz/tank
$1.12/tank

17)Marvel Mystery Oil
Gas, oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 and newer systems)
HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel.
320:1 ratio
10.4 oz/tank
$3.22/tank

18)ValvTect Diesel Guard Heavy Duty/Marine Diesel Fuel Additive
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver,
, alcohol free
HFRR 696, 60 microns worse than baseline fuel
3.32 oz/tank
$2.38/tank

19)Primrose Power Blend 2003
Multi-purpose
Cetane boost, bio-diesel compatible,
HFRR 711, 75 microns worse than baseline
1066:1 ratio
3.12 oz/tank
$1.39/tank

CONCLUSIONS:

Products 1 through 4 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 460 or better. This meets the most strict requirements requested by the Engine Manufacturers Association.
Products 1 through 9 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 520 or better, meeting the U.S. diesel fuel requirements for maximum wear scar in a commercially available diesel fuel.
Products 16 through 19 were found to cause the fuel/additive blend to perform worse than the baseline fuel. The cause for this is speculative. This is not unprecedented in HFRR testing and can be caused by alcohol or other components in the additives. Further investigation into the possibilities behind these poor results will investigated.
Any additive testing within +/- 20 microns of the baseline fuel could be considered to have no significant change. The repeatability of this test allows for a +/- 20 micron variability to be considered insignificant.

CREDITS:

This study would not have been possible without the participation of all companies involved and dieselplace.com. A special Thank You to all of the dieselplace.com members who generously donated toward this study and waited longer than they should have for the results. You folks are the best. Arlen Spicer, organizer.

We use around 35-45,000 gallons of diesel fuel a year between our service trucks, truck tractors and heavy equipment. Engines range from 6.4 international and 6.7 ford diesel engines in the service trucks , Cat, Cummins and Perkins diesel engine in our heavy equipment and vocational trucks. The fuel systems range from mechanical rotary fuel pumps, piston fuel pumps and high pressure common rail. In the last 6 years we have had zero fuel system failures. I don't accredit this just to the fuel additive because we also three stage filter all our fuel as its used out of our bulk tanks.

Based on our experience Opti-lube has meet or exceeded our expectations.

Prior to using Opti-lube we used Stanadyne additives and where also pleased but still find the Opti-lube to be a much better product. If I could not get the opti-lube I would have no problem going back to the stanadyne additives.

The motorcraft diesel additive and the archoil did not meet our expectations and I would not personally recommend either product.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:45 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazySob

I had wrote Optilube before the previous reply so I figured I'd throw this in as I just received it from Optilube sales.
Hello Jeff,

Our XPD formula uses a water demulsifier.

Have a good day!

Megan, Sales

801-491-3717

Megan@opti-lube.com