1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2006 E350... can't bear to trade it in

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:48 AM
fenriswolf039
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350... can't bear to trade it in

My trusty E350 with just over 320k miles on original everything (except the alternator).

I have been drooling over a new 350 Transit with the long wheelbase and high roof, but this van has given me such faithful service I just can't bear to trade her in!

One day the issue will be forced, I'm sure... like when my back can't take stooping over to move around in the cargo area.

I don't really have a point here... just tossing around the idea of this new Transit... Just bought my wife a new Flex and my daughter a new Fiesta last weekend and was looking at this while I was touring the lot...

It has... so MUCH room... I could put 6 motorcycles in there and still have room for all my gear.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:34 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the 350 would fit IN the Transit! Maybe just get both? (this is the kind of thinking where I wound up with 6 motorcyles.) jim

Old 04-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
320,000 miles.
getchoo the Transit before you get burned.

plus, you're obviously wealthy (to buy a new Flex and Fiesta last weekend), so why keep the ol' clunker?

"New Transit" has a Greek translation to "serves you well"

Old 04-28-2016, 06:02 AM
fenriswolf039
New User
you're obviously wealthy (to buy a new Flex and Fiesta last weekend)

I have excellent credit, so those purchases were zero down with low interest rates.

My van has served me very well, but I doubt it's anywhere near the end of it's life. Some of the guys working for me have over 600,000 miles on theirs although they have all had to replace their transmissions at some point.

I'm that guy who doesn't go over 65mph in the van, stay in the right lane while all the people in a hurry fly by me... but I always leave with enough time to get there. My method has done well, obviously my van has benefited from not being abused.

The Transit is a "want" item right now, not a "need" item... so I'll pay off the note on my Spyder before I buy another vehicle. 3 car notes at a time is enough for me.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:40 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Newcar-itis hits us all----I'm probably very close to your driving style plus being self-employed making payments is something I simply DO NOT do---cash one time or do without is my latest motto.

That being said for a lot of reasons the Transit's have started me thinking one would be a nice replacement for the main work van. Same as above, no financing, COD and off I'd go. That's possible since my overhead is close to nil and I've been saving for the proverbial rainy day--nice to be so well funded.

The practical side kicks in and I hesitate because both my E250's are running extremely well, have had tons of proper maintenance done plus various upgrades and fitments to suit my business, one @ 275K miles, the other just @ 227K miles. Morons who might think they're "worthless, worth scrap price only........." aren't the crowd I'd want to deal with if selling these via private sale. Honestly it takes a smarter bunch to realize a work vehicle is worth more than some nonsense like Kelly Blue Book valuation. Won't trade in--that's a losing proposition if I've ever seen one.

Add in as for yet to my mind the Transit's are a bit too new---issues of long term body problems such as Sprinter's show concern me considerably. With about 5 years or so max left for me in the current business just about the time there's more experience with the Transit over the long term I may not even need something "new".

If you need or want more evidence the E-Series have nine lives read a few of DelGriffin's post here----a few of his E-Series fleet are topping 1.5 million miles. Mind you not all are 100% stock with OE engines and transmissions etc but that's still one helluva track record for Ford's vans.

And the idea a payment is due every month..........

Old 04-28-2016, 06:55 AM
fenriswolf039
New User
KBB dot com says my trade in value is 2450 while private party sale value is still in the neighborhood of 4200...

Hardly scrap value if you ask me, all things considered. Chevy drivers are so used to breaking down all the time, that their idea of used vehicle values is skewed a bit.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:01 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by fenriswolf039
KBB dot com says my trade in value is 2450 while private party sale value is still in the neighborhood of 4200...

Hardly scrap value if you ask me, all things considered.
No your van is well worth more than that KBB BS---that was kinda my point. For me--and just for me---I'd shy away from the higher mileage only if I didn't know the complete maintenance history or the longer term driver.

Any bolt on part including engines and transmissions though aren't as big a concern as the body and its overall condition. Problems there are much more difficult to properly repair and last very long.

Just out of curiosity what's the out-the-door price on the Transit you're searching for----have you gone that far in researching them so far?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:16 AM
fenriswolf039
New User
The one I saw was around $40k but I think I would order one without all the factory installed junk in the back.

I'm very particular about my cargo securement devices. My van is like the Millennium Falcon with all the special modifications I've made back there such as strategically placed E-track rails and load bar attachments, LED lighting, folding bunk, etc.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:26 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
My van is also fitted to accommodate and travel with glass so I'm with you on being particular about cargo hauling arrangements. There's little that's stock anywhere inside the cargo area from just behind the front seats all the way to the rear doors.

Our moderator Tom just bought a gently used Transit with full Club Wagon treatment, fair price as it was a former but recent rental people mover I believe. The cost savings was substantial over brand new which is the same way I'd go if one of these is in my future.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:34 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Fenriswolf

What industry are you in that people have 600,000 miles on ford vans? Seems like it must be highway babies to pull that off. That's how Delgriffith does it.

And JWA has some excellent, wordy, detailed advise for you there. As he always does.

Be careful what crowd you take advice from though because some people are so ignorant that they don't understand the value of newer, more reliable vehicles. High mileage/high age has direct "gambling" effects regarding reliability. How much does a day of downtime cost you? A few days? A week or more?

JWA directly implied that he has $35,000+ saved for a rainy day- and that's great; but if that's not you then you have good reason to consider replacing your "trusty rusty" with a monthly payment.

If I had 40large saved I wouldn't buy a new van either- I would keep my 250,000 mile van and use the pile of cash to cover the random downtime caused by the old overworked elephant.

And the negative statement about KBB is off the charts of stupidity. Thats about as stupid as saying your 2006 E van is worth scrap price only... Who brought that up? Lol. That's about as stupid as saying Haynes/Chiltons manuals are useless. All three (KBB/Haynes/Chiltons) are successful long term companies based on useful products. Some people just enjoy the attention more than actual results or information, so they say silly things.

With that all said I'm not "insisting" that you replace your 10-year old 320,000mile van. I'm just making the case because you showed interest, and upon my reply there was immediate (usual) pushback. There are talking points pro and con. It just seems that some people, (et al JWA) always Cons with me regarding aged vehicles. That is not so bad, per se, if it is constructive debate but the history indicates otherwise. Life goes on :shrug:

Honestly I hate debt. I truly hate it. If I was you, with three car payments- I would definitely NOT buy the Transit. But I also wouldn't have bought the Flex and Fiesta last weekend either.

Your 06 looks fantastic in that picture; so if the downtime-gamble isn't a big concern then you'd be a very wise man to keep it.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:31 AM
fenriswolf039
New User
I had thought it might be obvious with the ATL Courier logo on the side.

There are various factors I consider when thinking about getting rid of "trusty rusty".

1) There isn't any rust on it.
2) It does not consume any fluids. (other than gasoline)
3) It has no leaks anywhere.
4) It has never been in any kind of accident.
5) The engine has never been run above 3000 RPM for more than a few seconds.
6) It gets consistently excellent mileage for a vehicle with a 9500 GVWR (15mpg in town and 18-20mpg on the highway)
7) The transmission shifts smoothly and accurately.

I have used K&N filters in every position, Mobil 1 full synthetic in the motor, Lucas Oil products in the transmission and rear end, and a 70/30 blend of Engine Ice and distilled water in the cooling system for the entire life of the van.

Sure... something is going to break one day, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen. I've got a high level of confidence in my van.

The one thing that makes me want another one is purely a space issue... I need more of it, but not so much that I'm pulling the trigger in any haste.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:39 AM
fenriswolf039
New User
Another thing, on the subject of debt:

I could buy the new van outright, and I could have bought the Flex and the Fiesta outright as well.

I didn't, and won't for the following reasons:

All the car notes and major bills are in my name only. If I die, my wife can walk away from the debts and give the vehicles back with no repercussion, and she still has the cash we have built up. Her name is on the house, and I have insurance to pay that off in the event of my demise, as well as keep her stocked in Dooney & Bourke handbags (her obsession) for the rest of her life.

Her credit remains unmarred and she can opt to buy out one of the vehicles or go get a different one. And, in the mean time, she can drive my van which is paid for and in good working order.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:43 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote drive it.
I have seen lots of F-100s/150s with this kind of mileage and a much tougher life.
jim

Old 04-29-2016, 07:21 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
We just bought a Transit two weeks ago. We've had a problem with it failing to start, but that doesn't seem to be a common problem.

Overall driving experience is substantially better than the E-series IMHO. The rack-and-pinion steering feels razor sharp compared to any other van I've driven, and by most accounts they are good for substantially better fuel economy than the outgoing designs. Remember that the high-roof models will be the worst for fuel economy, and you'll be paying about a 3-4 MPG penalty on the highway for all that interior space. Ours is a low-roof passenger model that fits into a parking garage. Here's a shot of ours I took yesterday behind a minivan for size comparison:

Old 04-29-2016, 07:23 AM
fenriswolf039
New User
That's a great looking van.

Quick Reply: 2006 E350... can't bear to trade it in