1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Certified and EZ Wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 05:24 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 969 Likes on 863 Posts
Originally Posted by smallello
It runs from the alternator to the battery side of the solenoid. The same side the battery connects to.

But something has to go from somewhere to the amp meter to show a charge. I'll have to look at what I have wired already to see if it looks like I'm going in the right direction.

I knew that was a box of spaghetti when I opened it!

Old 04-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Chilly Willy in Cali
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
But something has to go from somewhere to the amp meter to show a charge. I'll have to look at what I have wired already to see if it looks like I'm going in the right direction.

I knew that was a box of spaghetti when I opened it!
I knew when I opened my box that 21 circuits was overkill.
I'm not a fan of all the current going through one gauge.
A voltmeter gauge is what I'm going with. A Future project is to get it in to the stock cluster.
If you want to keep your ammeter, it goes between the battery and the fuse box. You'll need a fusible link to protect it. The alternator goes on the opposite end of the loop from the battery.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:26 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
This is how you hook up a 1-wire so that the ammeter works (loop-type inductive ammeter). It shows the stock circuit breakers but you could substitute a fusebox at the same location, as long as the BAT and alternator output wires connect at that point.

There's very low risk to using an inductive ammeter because no current actually flows thru it. It senses the magnetic field in the wire.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Chilly Willy in Cali
Junior User
I've done the turn signals. I'll take a look, when I get home this afternoon.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:12 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks *****, Ross. It's been a lousy day here, with a promise of more tomorrow and through the weekend. Hopefully I can take what you have given me and make short work of it.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:05 AM
Chilly Willy in Cali
Junior User
I checked for my schematic and it's gone. Do you have one? There weren't any surprises with mine and the ez wire. The Ez labels are a huge help. Since the colors will not match up, you'll need the schematic. If you don't have a schematic, let me know where you bought the switch and I'll try to dig up the diagram. You could figure it out with an ohm meter, but that will be a last resort.

Will

Old 04-29-2016, 05:25 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Not sure I understand, Willie. I do have a schematic, for the original wiring. The labels are helpful but I don't know what switch you refer to.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Chilly Willy in Cali
Junior User
Not sure I understand, Willie. I do have a schematic, for the original wiring. The labels are helpful but I don't know what switch you refer to.
If your turn signal is aftermarket, it should have its own wiring diagram.

Will

Old 04-30-2016, 06:28 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Yes, it is aftermarket and I do have the wiring diagram. With luck, that will be one area of little confusion.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:26 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, I think I have the alt. straight. I'll find out once I get it ready to fire up. Now I'm inside. Really not comfortable with this area at all. BUT the schematic Ross posted helps.
*****, did you just cut the Chevy pins off the wires to connect them to the turn signal? That seemed the most likely thing to do. I have to say, I'm not real impressed with EZ wire's instructions. They do leave some important thoughts to assumptions. Not all there customers are going to be experienced wire runners.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Chilly Willy in Cali
Junior User
Well, I think I have the alt. straight. I'll find out once I get it ready to fire up. Now I'm inside. Really not comfortable with this area at all. BUT the schematic Ross posted helps.
*****, did you just cut the Chevy pins off the wires to connect them to the turn signal? That seemed the most likely thing to do. I have to say, I'm not real impressed with EZ wire's instructions. They do leave some important thoughts to assumptions. Not all there customers are going to be experienced wire runners.
Yes, cut to length and I used butt connectors and heat shrink tubing.
Measure three times cut once.

Will

Old 05-07-2016, 12:39 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Much to my own disappointment, I have to admit defeat. I have tried all the tricks I know and none have worked. I have read and re-read the instructions, same with the tips here. I have read the schematics on every part I can find. Nothing is working and I am getting more frustrated. I have even walked away for a week, no help.
Those of you who have been able to complete the rewire and those that will I the future, I congratulate you. In this area, at least, you are better than I. Now I am left trying to find some one who does know what they are doing and try to convince them to come to me, as this truck ain't going no where.
Thanks for everyone's help. From now on, I will stick the mechanical stuff and installing bulbs.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Chilly Willy in Cali
Junior User
When it comes to wiring. If you're not comfortable, don't do it.
I break it down to sections. Lay it all out then take it one wire at a time. The labeled wires are your best friends.
Maybe you can join a local car club. there's likely someone there that can help.
Also,any high school auto classes or junior college tech schools in your area? They might like that project as a cool learning tool.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:37 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

The schools are good ideas but with the school year ending, I doubt they would have class time. I followed all of EZ's directions, laid it out, cut out the wires I knew I wouldn't need, started at the front, then the rear. It's not a lack of experience, I have completed some simple wiring projects in the past. I just can't get myself straight on the mess under the dash. The combination of original truck schematics, EZ wire, Certified and the Chevy column connections are just too much. I just can't separate them enough to know where I am. Like I told you, *****, I'm probably over thinking it. But, the risk of destroying the truck because of an error on my part, is too great.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:14 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Unique story: I get up this morning and head on over to let the girl cut what's left of my hair. They aren't open yet, so another guy, who drove up at the same time as I, decide to wait at the door for the few minutes. He's wearing a Harley T shirt so I strike a conversation about bikes. That moved to cars, after a bit and he shows me a pic of the 23 Model T sedan he has just finished. After that he mentions he is an ASE certified Master Mechanic. OK!!!! So finally I ask if he knows anyone that not only understands wiring but would be willing to come to the car as opposed to me towing it to them. He says, he does that sort thing on the side. We get our ears lowered and I wait to get his number. He asks where I live and I tell him. "Let's go look at it", he says. 5 hours later, my truck is running and all the lights work. I have to go back and do the fancy work, cut to length and run the looms. But everything is correctly wired and it runs. Can it get any more unique than that?

Quick Reply: Certified and EZ Wire