1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck cranks but won't start. Water in Fuel light is on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Sam1980
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone again. Finally had a free weekend to work on the truck again. I unplugged PCM, IDM, and reset all codes. The only code that came this time was Water In Fuel code. DTC suggested that this code be caused by short to ground, WIF sensor being damaged or damaged connector. I unplugged the connector to completely isolate the sensor and there was no more codes. Cleared all the codes and tried again, and still no codes after cranking for over 3 minutes. RPMs are about 135 on Forscan screen, but still not showing on the dash. Any suggestions on what I could do next? I have a completely running truck with the same year and same engine that I drive everyday. This way when I find a problem I can replace the part with a part from the other truck that I know for fact it is a good part.

Any help is appreciated guys!!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Sam1980
Freshman User
Here is the code I got. I kind of smelled some burning and a little smoke coming from the middle of the engine. I cannot tell what it is while cranking, but I have checked all fuses and all of them are good. None is burnt, and this is the only code showing on Forscan.

===OBDII DTC None===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: On Board Diagnostic II

===END OBDII DTC None===

===PCM DTC P1140===
Code: P1140 - Water in Fuel Condition

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Water in Fuel Condition

This DTC may be caused by :

Short to Ground

Possible causes are:

Harness wiring

PCM

WIF Sensor

Inspect connectors for signs of damage, water ingress, corrosion, etc.

===END PCM DTC P1140===

===ECS DTC None===

Module: Electronic Crash Sensor

===END ECS DTC None===

===GEM DTC B1359===
Code: B1359 - Ignition run / accessory circuit failure

Module: Generic Electronic Module

===END GEM DTC B1359===

===ABS DTC None===

Module: Anti-Lock Brake / Traction Control Module

===END ABS DTC None===

Old 07-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Set up ForScan to monitor ICP volts, IPR duty cycle, injector pulse width, RPM and VPWR. Let us know what those values are. A screenshot of them in oscilloscope mode would be good, or attach a log file, if the forum software will let you.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:27 AM
Sam1980
Freshman User

This is a screen shot. Batteries were nearly dead from cranking all day, but they were able to turn the engine.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:29 AM
Sam1980
Freshman User
I did not know where to get the ICP voltage data, IPR duty cycle, or Injector puls width. I added all tests that has IPR, ICP, and Puls width.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:39 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
The battery voltage is on the low side, but looking at those numbers, it still should have started. Were there any new codes after cranking? Have you tried running an injector buzz test?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:26 AM
Sam1980
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Pikachu
The battery voltage is on the low side, but looking at those numbers, it still should have started. Were there any new codes after cranking? Have you tried running an injector buzz test?
Yes the batteries were nearly dead from cranking all day. I had the charger on them, but did not have enough time to charge them. Still it should have started

I did not check if there was any codes after cranking but will try again now and pull the codes out again.

How do I run the injector buzz test on ForScan? Is it that self test on Demand?

Thanks man.. you're the best!

Old 07-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
This truck is a 6 liter, but starting the test in ForScan is identical for the 7.3 liter. The injectors won't sound the same as a 6.0, however.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:34 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the fuel bowl full of fuel when you take the cover off? Is so, perhaps drain some out and see if the fuel pump fills it back up wen you turn the key on.

you mentioned some smoke at the top of the engine. How hot are your glow plug relay and wires getting when you turn the key on for a minute or two?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Sam1980
Freshman User
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Is the fuel bowl full of fuel when you take the cover off? Is so, perhaps drain some out and see if the fuel pump fills it back up wen you turn the key on.

you mentioned some smoke at the top of the engine. How hot are your glow plug relay and wires getting when you turn the key on for a minute or two?
I have drained the fuel bowl multiple times and it always gets full when I crank the engine. Did not try to just turn the key and see if it will be filled.

The glow plug relay was hot, but I do not think it is the problem. I swapped this one out from my other truck. It worked perfect on the other truck, which is an identical truck. Same year, same engine.

I will try draining the fuel again after I get off work and will let you guys know.

Thanks a bunch!!

Old 07-25-2016, 04:48 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
To recap, the problem is crank but no start, and the WIF light is on?

Remove the harness to the WIF sensor and leave it off, taped out of the way. You don't really need it, and the code is just a distraction at this point. Clear it and see if it returns.

Did you swap CPS with the other truck yet?

Probably unnecessary but to gar-on-tee the basics, put in a new fuse for the PCM.

If you drain the fuel capture it in a clear container. Let it settle and see what there is to see.

Smell of smoke from center of engine and hot GPR relay are clues. Can you post up a good close pic of the top of the engine so we can get more eyeballs on it?

Old 07-26-2016, 06:08 AM
Sam1980
Freshman User
(OK) [06:56:19.045] KOEO Injector Electrical Self Test has been started
(OK) [06:56:34.975] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(ERR) [06:57:12.801] KOER Switch Self Test has been cancelled by operator
(OK) [06:57:25.347] Key On Engine Off On Demand Self-Test has been started
(OK) [06:57:38.210] Test completed successfully, no errors found
(OK) [06:58:39.639] KOEO Injector Electrical Self Test has been started
(OK) [06:58:55.619] Test completed successfully, no errors found

I ran the buzz test multiple times as you can see from the log. it did not find any errors. I live in Virginia Beach and it's been very hot outside. The temp did not go below 85 even at night. It's 7 AM now and still 85 outside. Is it possible that I have bad injectors and I am getting false test results just because it is hot? I'm puzzled!

Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Sam1980
Freshman User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
To recap, the problem is crank but no start, and the WIF light is on?

Remove the harness to the WIF sensor and leave it off, taped out of the way. You don't really need it, and the code is just a distraction at this point. Clear it and see if it returns.

Did you swap CPS with the other truck yet?

Probably unnecessary but to gar-on-tee the basics, put in a new fuse for the PCM.

If you drain the fuel capture it in a clear container. Let it settle and see what there is to see.

Smell of smoke from center of engine and hot GPR relay are clues. Can you post up a good close pic of the top of the engine so we can get more eyeballs on it?
I have swapped the CPS from the other truck. Problem is still not fixed and the sensor I took out of the broken truck is working just fine on the other truck.

I read that the fuse for the PCM is the same fuse that runs WIF sensor/Fuel bowl warmer. I have tested all fuses with a test light, without pulling them out, but will change it this time and see if it works.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
When you ran the buzz test, you did hear the injectors all make noise, right?

Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Sam1980
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Pikachu
When you ran the buzz test, you did hear the injectors all make noise, right?
Yes I heard all of them at once first, then I counted and they made that noise one time each, 8 times total. It was not repeated twice like it did with you in the video though. Only one time. All of them once, and then each one of them once.

Quick Reply: Truck cranks but won't start. Water in Fuel light is on.