Sponsored by: Moser

2012 F-150 Engine Replaced, Having Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 12:40 PM
bradbelcher
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F-150 Engine Replaced, Having Problems

I have a 2012 F-150 5.0 V-8 with 58,000 miles. Since a little after I purchased the truck (brand new), I have complained to Ford about the knocking noise that was coming from the engine. The only answer I ever received was "Loud Injectors". Every single time. With only about 4,000 miles left on my warranty, I decided to take it to a different Ford dealer one last time just in case. Guess what, my engine was actually bad. They had determined, that cylinder 4 was out of round. It went completely oval and had been devouring the sides of my piston for a long time. Ford approved a remanufactured engine replacement, however, they could not find one. So, Ford approved me for a Brand New long block. When I dropped my truck off initially, there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with the truck other than the noise which has plagued me since the very beginning. No check engine light, no loss of power, nothing. And I never had a problem with it. Not one time. So I get my truck back with a brand new engine in it and immediately started having problems. Literally on the drive home from the dealership. First, upon initial warm up, at about 50% operating temperature there was a very strange noise. (I had checked all fluids and then started the truck and let it warm up in park.) This is a new noise. It almost sounds like it is coming from the transmission like a pump or something. It is only intermittent and usually only heard at idle, but sometimes I can hear it while driving at highway speeds. Under moderate acceleration, like going to pass a car, at about 3250 RPMs the truck would instantly cut off almost all acceleration and the check engine light would start flashing. This is only while accelerating hard enough to pass someone, the exact time when you wouldn't want your vehicle to stop accelerating. When I pull the codes it reads misfires in multiple cylinders and lists the cylinders, and a separate code that says there are soo many misfires that it can not determine which cylinder it is. If I were to clear the CEL and just drive it modestly and never accelerate hard, you wouldnt even know there was a problem. The dealership keeps telling me that the only thing they would do is replace the coil packs and charge me for it. That is "usually" what it ends up being so that is all they will do. I find it very hard to believe that I drop my truck off with no such issue and get it back with a brand new engine and on day 1 my coil packs go bad. Another thing I noticed the other day was a rotten egg smell from my exhaust. It was only one time and hasnt done it since. I have only put 500 miles on this new engine but I am worried that the new issue will clog my Cat's or that because of the old engine problem, the Cat's are already clogged. I am currently fighting with this dealership because in the process of replacing my engine they cracked my A/C condenser, broke my horn, and caused this possible transmission noise and are refusing to do anything about it. I was also told by the service writer that my new engine came with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, and now the general manager is telling me that I only got a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty and will not give me an answer as to whether or not I received a brand new engine or if it was just a reman. Any suggestions on what to do next? If I keep driving it and my Cats plug up will they be covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty? Should I contact Ford or will it be a waste of time? Should I just go straight to the attorney general/ my lawyer?

Old 04-25-2016, 01:52 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
You're not the first person I've heard of that got an engine replacement and then had issues with misfires, etc. It could have something to do with how the technician set up the cams/timing if they used a partially assembled engine and moved your stuff over. Or it could be the ECU programming. Could be a few things actually. These variable timing engines are finicky if you don't know what you're doing. I'd definitely start a papertrail in case this drags out over many months.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:32 PM
bradbelcher
New User
I just verified the part number with another dealership and it is, in fact, a brand new long block. I will not get the 3yr unlimited mileage warranty I was told but rather a 12-month 12,000-mile warranty. They told me to call Ford customer service. I just got off the phone with customer service and they sent a formal complaint to the dealership that did the work. Essentially only complaining about giving me the wrong warranty information. They say that any negligence would be between myself and the dealership, that Ford does not get in the middle of such problems. They also say that if any further damage occurs due to their negligence, that will also be between myself and the dealership.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:09 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
There are some 5.0L and EB guys on here who've had to replace plugs early, I'd bet that you problem isn't the coils. Is it safe to assume that the tech reused your plugs and coils? The plugs are an easy replacement on the 5.0.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:56 PM
bradbelcher
New User
Yes, they reused the original plugs and coils. The only accessory that came new I believe was the water pump. I have also heard of over gapping on the factory plugs. I work at an independent dealership now so I am going to try swapping coils off of another 5.0 to diagnose whether it is the coils or not first. Then I will try new plugs. And then reprogramming the ECU. Any recommendation on a particular brand of plugs or coil packs on these engines?

Old 04-25-2016, 07:15 PM
fastback89
Senior User
I've heard of issue with crank sensor gap to close giving misfire codes. Mustang guys at the track were tilling me about this.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:31 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
use Motorcraft plugs and coils

Old 04-26-2016, 10:43 AM
bradbelcher
New User
Another thing I was wondering was that if my cylinder was egg shaped, wouldnt my catalytic converter be plugged right now with all of that blow by? I was going through 3 to 4 quarts of oil on every single oil change. Ford told me that was normal when using full synthetic.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:46 AM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bradbelcher
.... I was going through 3 to 4 quarts of oil on every single oil change. Ford told me that was normal when using full synthetic.
3-4 quarts over how many miles (between oil changes) ?

Old 04-26-2016, 11:56 AM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by bradbelcher
Ford approved a remanufactured engine replacement, however, they could not find one. So, Ford approved me for a Brand New long block. When I dropped my truck off initially, there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with the truck other than the noise which has plagued me since the very beginning. No check engine light, no loss of power, nothing. Under moderate acceleration, like going to pass a car, at about 3250 RPMs the truck would instantly cut off almost all acceleration and the check engine light would start flashing. This is only while accelerating hard enough to pass someone. The dealership keeps telling me that the only thing they would do is replace the coil packs and charge me for it. That is "usually" what it ends up being so that is all they will do. I noticed the other day was a rotten egg smell from my exhaust. I am currently fighting with this dealership because in the process of replacing my engine they cracked my A/C condenser, broke my horn, and caused this possible transmission noise and are refusing to do anything about it.Should I contact Ford or will it be a waste of time? Should I just go straight to the attorney general/ my lawyer?
IMHO.......there are several issues here.....

1. Contact Ford Immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They authorized repairs and it appears that the work is questionable. Even if the causes of the current new issues are component transfer related, Ford is "guaranteeing it" under their warranty. Possible issue at the Dealership certifying the repairs with Ford

2. Serve the dealership with immediate written notice of the issues as you have described, line by line....don't get fancy...have it served by FedEx and signed for.........

On my experience, Ford will engage their regional manager, find out what exactly is going on, if they have credibility issues with the dealer, they may even pull the truck from the dealership, taken to another (with your permission).

I would also contact "Crystal" our FTE Service Rep to engage........

Crystal is the agent assigned to FTE and is looking forward to assisting with newer-model concerns, product questions, and tracking vehicle orders. She works M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET. Ashley will be her backup and her hours are M-F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET. Private messages are typically replied to within two business days and we will post when our offices are closed or the agents are on vacation.

Crystal's phone number is....800.392.FORD

Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Wow.

Any other trouble codes beside multiple misfire? Seems like there should be something else there for this kind of issue.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Wow.

Any other trouble codes beside multiple misfire? Seems like there should be something else there for this kind of issue.
Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2016, 04:55 PM
bradbelcher
New User
Thats it. I pulled every single controller and these are the only ones that come up. Here is a picture of them. I just took these pictures 10 mins ago.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:03 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
The new engines and the ford reman come with new plugs installed. What you have is the dealership not performing the misfire calibration. This is done using the IDS at the dealership. By chance the noise in your trans, is it a slight squeek or rubbing sound? If so its a faulty pump caused by jamming the trans to the engine. My dealership did it twice when they installed my new engine.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:09 PM
bradbelcher
New User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The new engines and the ford reman come with new plugs installed. What you have is the dealership not performing the misfire calibration. This is done using the IDS at the dealership. By chance the noise in your trans, is it a slight squeek or rubbing sound? If so its a faulty pump caused by jamming the trans to the engine. My dealership did it twice when they installed my new engine.

Yes it is definitely like a squeek or rubbing sound. Its a very strange sound. I only have 2,000miles left on my warranty and Im worried that it is causing damage to the transmission. I just wonder why the sound is intermittent. If I start the truck cold, the noise starts when the engine reaches about 50% of its actual operating temperature.

Quick Reply: 2012 F-150 Engine Replaced, Having Problems