General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

best double grilled cheese sandwich idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:06 PM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best double grilled cheese sandwich idea

as the title says it

I tried a single grilled cheese with sliced hot dog, then meatloaf. then the inspiration...several weeks ago I thought up an idea of taking two grilled sandwiches and then using them to make a steak sandwich.

So I thin sliced a steak then pan fried it with hot sriracha chilli sauce and salt and pepper.

Problem it is so very good I'm having one a week, the cheese burger has been curbed.

The last version had moza as one cheese sandwiche the second had kraft thick slice cheddar. The sriracha sauce and fried steak had fries onions and extra slice of cheese inside.

so to nights version will be the same but with out the third slice of cheese and I will add a bit of tomato sauce so the sriracha sauce will thicken out and stay with the meat.

What i'm missing is some slices of banana peppers. but next time.

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 03:30 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Dang,,now I`m craving one. Minus the heart attack of course

Old 04-25-2016, 04:13 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Looks good!

I like a good homemade Reuben, with horsey sauce or Russian dressing. Dark rye bread grilled with butter and garlic, thin corned beef piled high, some Frank's kraut, and lots of melted swiss.. Side of dill pickles and lots of sour cream and onion potato chips, wash it down with a tall glass of ice cold milk.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:18 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Looks great and both excellent ideas!

Please allow me to add:

A chicken breast pounded out thin dredged in a mixture of flour, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic powder and onion powder fried iin a skillet with olive oil.

Toast an onion roll or your favorite roll or bread. Layer it with mayo or your favorite spread and add melted jack cheese, lettuce, tom, onion, pickle and a side of onion rings with your favorite beverage.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Onion Rings! Nobody knows how to make 'em anymore, not to mention french fries. All the big chains taste like cardboard and about as easy to choke down. There's a couple mom and pops that still do it right but they are a dying breed of course.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:11 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Good gosh I can NOT remember the last time I had a "real" onion ring---'bout the time the last of the real A&W Root Beer drive-ins closed around here.

Those abominations sold these days---not sure what they really are but onion rings as I knew them they're NOT!

Old 04-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
They are a little tricky to make right, soggy won't work. A good malt, burger and fries when done right.... Good as it gets. Tough to find though.

Maybe Micky Dees could learn something from that, instead of trying to offer a three gazillion different menu items and McCaviar. That's how they got started, 15c burgers and good fries.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:25 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Tedster9
They are a little tricky to make right, soggy won't work. A good malt, burger and fries when done right.... Good as it gets. Tough to find though.

Maybe Micky Dees could learn something from that, instead of trying to offer a three gazillion different menu items and McCaviar. That's how they got started, 15c burgers and good fries.
I think two of the best chain store great burgers now come from Johnny Rockets and Five Guys.

But I'll take a nice corned beef Rueben or a perfectly grill Pastrami and cheese samich in a heart beat.

I'm actually kind of drooling for a BLT with a hard fried egg stuffed in the middle and thick cut peppered bacon.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Have heard that there are some competitors out there reinventing the wheel with good burgers and fries. Who'd a thunk it?

Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Damn guys, I just had dinner and I'm hungry again now. That chicken one sounds awesome, especially with some real onion rings, and a real sugar soda too.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Well all this talk about sandwiches got me hankerin' for one.

Well, two cause they are so good. Turns out I learned a couple things from this recipe. Sprinkle with some water, and then wrap the corned beef in foil tightly and steam in a 350F oven for several minutes. This works good, was just heating it up in the skillet before. Don't want it to dry out any is the idea here.

But on the other hand, the bread gets put in the oven too, for several minutes, so that it does dry out a bit the crust mainly, before grilling with butter. This makes the sandwich partly crispy. More work, but these are some tasty sammiches. The Russian dressing is important too, I like something with real some zip to it, horseradish, a little chili sauce, even Sriracha sauce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/z...ch-recipe.html

Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2016, 03:41 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Anyone here a fan of Lebanon Bologna? If you're unsure of what it is, it's a smoky flavored lunch meat and delicious as hell. It's nothing like that Oscar Meier crap.

Anyway, take some dark or spicy mustard spread, the bread of your choice, for me it's a good marble rye or pump, add some sliced onions, kosher dill slices, tom, lettuce, swiss or jack cheese and heat or don't, it's great either way. This samich calls for a bag of Lays plain chips.

I'm also a huge fan of flavored wraps. Most any filling, heat the wrap on a skillet first and then what ever you want in it. BBQ chicken, pork, shaved beef, grilled tuna, etc.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Maybe it's good, but that's too far to go just for balogna. When I was stationed at Ft. Lewis once drove to Seattle waterfront for clam chowder and ho-jos, the chowder was good stuff. Lebanon though? I dunno.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:04 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, for you the closest Lebanon would be in WI, but still a few hours. Of course, Ft. Lewis (now JBLM) can be three hours from Seattle depending on the time of day.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
It's a type of bologna silly, any deli should carry it.

Quick Reply: best double grilled cheese sandwich idea