1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Overdrive not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Curbscape
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive not working

Hi, guys. I have just installed a new e40d Racer x Transmission in my 1997 f250. The overdrive does not seem to kick in. I took apart the shift lever and found one of the three wires running through the lever had wore through. I was able to splice the wire together that had shorted out. I now have a constant overdrive light on. When I press the button for overdrive nothing seems to be happening the light just stays on steady. When I drove the truck a bit and get to about 40mph she doesn't shift up and is running at about 2000rpms or so. Can anyone tell me where the wiring for the OD switch goes to after it enters the steering column? I am thinking maybe the switch is bad, but unsure at this point. Any input would be greatly appreciated of course. Thanks for your time. CJ

Old 04-25-2016, 05:20 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Curbscape
Hi, guys. I have just installed a new e40d Racer x Transmission in my 1997 f250. The overdrive does not seem to kick in. I took apart the shift lever and found one of the three wires running through the lever had wore through. I was able to splice the wire together that had shorted out. I now have a constant overdrive light on. When I press the button for overdrive nothing seems to be happening the light just stays on steady. When I drove the truck a bit and get to about 40mph she doesn't shift up and is running at about 2000rpms or so. Can anyone tell me where the wiring for the OD switch goes to after it enters the steering column? I am thinking maybe the switch is bad, but unsure at this point. Any input would be greatly appreciated of course. Thanks for your time. CJ
I'm not much help on this, but I'll at least give you a bump so hopefully someone chimes in that knows.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:30 PM
Curbscape
Senior User
Thanks for the bump Todd. Just to update things. I replaced the switch in the shift lever with a new one from Ford and still have the same problem. It won't go into overdrive. I did take it for another test drive and the overdrive kicked in for about 1000 yards or less then the OD Light flashed a few times as if going into limp mode then the transmission down shifted back into 3rd (I believe it is). It just won't shift to the upper gears. With it revving so high at greater speed I am reluctant to drive the truck for fear of burning up this new transmission. If anyone has any ideas i am all ears. Thanks

Old 04-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Curbscape
Senior User
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td nowrap="nowrap"> danr1 Post Fiend
</td><td width="100%">
</td><td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> Join Date: Aug 2006

</td></tr></tbody></table> Test the red-yellow wire at the switch for power, "Key on" position.

If that test good you may have a fault in the white-light green wire running between the switch and computer, pin# 32.

I came across this post while searching here tonight. I think I will be looking into the switch wire to the computer next. (crossing my fingers).

Old 04-26-2016, 11:19 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did it work before you took it in? To me that sounds like a trans issue if its shifting between 3rd and 4th and will no hit OD. How is your fluid level?

Old 04-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Curbscape
the OD Light flashed a few times as if going into limp mode then the transmission down shifted back into 3rd (I believe it is).
When the OD light flashed it set a code. You need that code to figure out what's wrong. The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes, you need either a good independent shop or a Ford dealer to read them. Once you have the code number (not just the description) we can help you find out what's wrong.

Originally Posted by nossliw
To me that sounds like a trans issue if its shifting between 3rd and 4th and will no hit OD.
Fourth gear IS overdrive! It doesn't have 1,2,3,4 and then overdrive.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:47 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
When the OD light flashed it set a code. You need that code to figure out what's wrong. The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes, you need either a good independent shop or a Ford dealer to read them. Once you have the code number (not just the description) we can help you find out what's wrong.

Fourth gear IS overdrive! It doesn't have 1,2,3,4 and then overdrive.
Agreed I phrased that wrong...sorry. Mark will answer any questions you can possibly imagine on FORD trans

Old 04-26-2016, 02:18 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
Mark will answer any questions you can possibly imagine on FORD trans
And probably a few that you can't imagine....