1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Why do wipers not park right after new wiper motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:14 AM
1998Ranger25L153CID
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do wipers not park right after new wiper motor?

On my 1993 Ranger me and a friend changed out the wiper motor that's been seized up for awhile. I've put it off because I knew it was hard to get at. We dropped the pivots, took the inspection covers off, and unbolted the crank arm and installed on the new one. Before we had it all buttoned up we had to turn the key switch on to move the wiper linkage in order to install the crank arm correctly on the new motor. I don't know but maybe this messed things up. So we got it all done and installed and made sure it worked before we reinstalled the wiper arms. Then we installed the wiper arms and blades and checked to see if it works properly. We got it where we can use the wipers perfectly but if you shut it off whenever you're done with them they just park in whatever position it is in not where it should at the bottom of the windshield. You have to wait until the wipers are down at the bottom and turn the switch off. Is this something wrong with the wiper switch or something we messed up installing? The old motor was totally burned out. I had the same thing happen on my 1965 Plymouth Valiant. No matter what position I install the wiper arms in I have to turn the switch off when the wipers are the bottom of the windshield or otherwise they will park in whatever position it's in when the switch is turned off. I never could figure it out on my Plymouth but they function fine. I could fix it if I knew what was wrong because it's so much easier to get to than the Ranger. Just looking to see what's wrong with this Ranger wiper system. I'll probably leave unless it's something simple that I can do without removing the whole system again. Any suggestions?

Old 04-23-2016, 11:15 PM
KF4EYR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the motor was siezed up i would check for blown fuses and a burnt relay

Old 04-23-2016, 11:53 PM
1998Ranger25L153CID
More Turbo
The new motor works good. There's nothing blown. You just have to turn the wiper switch off when the wipers at the bottom of the windshield in order for them to be parked there. If you just turn the switch off wherever they're wiping they will stop in whatever place that is.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:23 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If the new wiper motor came with the gearbox and arm attached(which I think is normal, but have not bought one) then the switch inside the gearbox is not working properly, or the wires are attached improperly.
The 'park' mechanism that returns the blades to the rest position uses a 'moving contact' inside the gearbox that has power over 9/10 of a circle, and loses power when the arm driving the linkage is at the park position. It is also used by the 'intermittent wipe' feature. Once the moving contact is off the 'rest' position, it has power, and will drive the motor back to park if the power from the switch is removed.
I think you have a bum replacement or wiring.
tom

Old 04-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Josh S
Senior User
My vote is on the wiring as well. Check the wires each side of the wiper motor connector for corrosion. Since you would need to cut and solder the wiring anyway if you ever replaced the wiper motor again you might consider just omitting the connector altogether. I did and it solved the parking issue on mine. Not parking is most commonly a bad motor, but you replaced that. The only other possibility is the intermittent wiper motor relay located under the dash just passenger side of the steering column, but it is very rare for that to go bad.

Josh

Old 04-25-2016, 12:40 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Thinking about wiring, I just remembered that the wiper motor has its own ground wire, separate from the 'loom' connector. The motor on my truck is mounted on rubber donuts to prevent some noise transfer to the cab, so it needs to be grounded independently.
I would check for the ground strap from the motor and gearbox assembly to one of the mounting bolts. The 'park' design depends on having a ground for the motor to have a complete circuit.
tom

Old 04-25-2016, 02:44 PM
1998Ranger25L153CID
More Turbo
I'm looking in the 1993 Ranger FSM under troubleshooting for Wiper Won't Park. It says Stop wipers with ignition so that they are not in the park position, unplug wiper motor and connect jumpers to motor connector. Then it's got a poor illustration of how to connect the jumper wiper which I can't see and can't zoom in on. After that it just says Wipers Park: open connection, malfunctioning governor, open wire circuit 58 or 28. Then it says wipers do not park: replace wiper motor. Does anyone have that illustration? I don't want to hook it up wrong and burn something up.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Josh S
Senior User
FWIW: When I ran that test it indicated the wiper motor was bad. It did not account for 30 year old wiring being the problem in my case.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:50 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
In the manual, can you see the color notation?

Looking at the older EVTM, colors of wires connected to the wiper motor:

R - power in to 'park' slide connector (swept)
DB - high speed brushes
W - low speed brushes
BK - ground

In normal operation, the motor gets power from the DB or W wire. Ground is wired to the cab.
Switching to 'OFF' disconnects the power to the motor from the LO switch, but re-connects power to the LO speed brushes through the internal sweep, which opens when the motor reaches the park position. The sweep has power all the time, via the R wire. In park, the internal switch disconnects power from the R, and connects the BK wire to ground, and also connects the motor LO brushes to ground through the switch.
In shorter words, when the switch is moved to OFF, the 'parking sweep' inside the motor 'back connects' power it got from the R wire, through the sweep, up to the switch on the column, and back down to the LO brushes which power the motor until the sweep disconnects. In OFF, the LO motor brushes are connected through the switch to ground or to the R wire depending on position of the motor armature, which moves the internal electric 'wiper' over the arc of the powered conductor. The motor rotates a brush over the conductor with each cycle of the armature, providing power should the switch get moved to OFF while in mid-cycle.
That's hard to describe.
tom

Last edited by tomw; 04-26-2016 at 05:53 AM. Reason: clarify