Trailer braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:54 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trailer braking

When I switched from my '08 F350 to my '13 F350, I noticed instantly that I had less braking response from the same trailer. I had a setting of 6.5 on the '08 and have it set to 10 on the '13 with less braking.

Testing was made at 15mph and at 40mph. Both noted less braking response.

I read recently that '15's at least have a "low", "med", and "high" settings under driver assist, in addition to the 0-10 on the controller. Unfortunately, my '13 does not.

Any work around for older models like mine?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Adjust your brakes on the trailer lately? Perhaps that is your issue?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Are the connections on the truck clean?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:43 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Following this on the RV forum also, same issue with my truck. Yes, Trailer brakes adjusted twice no change, and this in on a new trailer.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:26 PM
New F150 Guy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 2013 F150 and couldn't get the trailer brake controller to apply any significant braking on my trailer. I adjusted the brakes several times to no avail. I took it back to the RV dealer and they told me it was the "NEW" brake controller programming from Ford. I went home and hooked up my neighbors 2011 F150 with the same controller and it would lock up the trailer brakes around 7.5. On my 2013 it wouldn't even make a noticeable slowdown on 10.

I went to the ford dealer and they asked me to bring in my trailer and truck. I demonstrated it for them and they hooked it up to another 2013 and neither of them would apply the brakes to any real degree. The service tech looked me dead in the eye and told me "If you want a brake controller that works you should really buy it aftermarket"...

The service writer didn't think that approach was going to work too well so he just told me that my trailer was too big for a F150. I wasn't sure what that had to do with the TBC...

Now that I have a F350 with a 5th wheel, I find that even on high effort I need to keep it around 8-8.5 for a 14k weight. Not sure what everyone else finds necessary, but at least it works this time...

So I think you are experiencing the "new" programming that they used on the TBC. You didn't mention model or year, but the 2011 was ok and the 2013 wasn't...

Old 04-26-2016, 06:04 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had new brakes on my 5th wheel when I went from my 6.0 to my 6.7. The 6.7 never feels like it is putting enough power to the brakes but I was told it doesn't need to. I have the controller set to 10.0. I know my brakes are working properly because I can move the manual lever on the brake controller to the left and the trailer brakes can stop the whole rig. It took a while to get accustomed to, but after a year of towing I have realized that the truck brakes, the exhaust brake, and the transmission work so well that the trailer brakes just don't see that much action. I hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I have a 13 F350 and I have no problem with my controller applying the brakes both when I had drum brakes and the disk I have now. The only time I had a problem was when my plug had dirty connections, I run my at either 7 or 7.5 when I'm the mountains. I had to make a fast stop in California recently and I was surprised when the trailer brakes locked up.

Denny

Old 04-27-2016, 06:18 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any additional adjustments, like the 15's and forward have, work around. Ford would have to issue it, and they won't bother. It's a shame, could use it.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:03 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wingedone
Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any additional adjustments, like the 15's and forward have, work around. Ford would have to issue it, and they won't bother. Shame.
Your right. My 1969 Mustang didn't come with fuel injection. Ford should step up and make it right. Shame.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by wingedone
Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any additional adjustments, like the 15's and forward have, work around. Ford would have to issue it, and they won't bother. Shame.
I am in your camp on this one, though I don't have the problem given the age of my truck. Lots of folks like to have the feel of the trailer brakes engaging and it is hard to understand the rationale for Ford's thinking here.

One of the things I like best about the aftermarket controllers is the "boost" feature that sets the initial engagement (not trying to start a war between TBC and aftermarket).

The question I would be having followed this exchange is, if you can't feel trailer braking or can barely feel it, how do you even know your controller is working. I know you can work it manually, but is it working off the transducer?

Just asking,

Steve

Old 04-28-2016, 07:39 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I'm wondering if maybe your brake setting is on electric over hydraulic for disks instead of electric for drums, it would make a big difference in the way it works.

Denny

Old 04-28-2016, 07:39 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
If it were my truck, I'd keep looking. I know today's trucks have stronger braking but any heavy towed vehicle needs its own brakes. Something, somewhere is keeping power from getting to the trailer brakes. If I absolutely could not find the weak point, then I'd install an aftermarket controller.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Another thought here is, at the very least, take the rig to someone who has the monitor with the 20-foot extension on it so they can sit in the cab and take a ride at the different settings and see if it is working.

If a controller doesn't come to the party in an emergency stop, why have it is my thought.

Steve

Old 04-28-2016, 11:11 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I am in your camp on this one, though I don't have the problem given the age of my truck. Lots of folks like to have the feel of the trailer brakes engaging and it is hard to understand the rationale for Ford's thinking here.

One of the things I like best about the aftermarket controllers is the "boost" feature that sets the initial engagement (not trying to start a war between TBC and aftermarket).

The question I would be having followed this exchange is, if you can't feel trailer braking or can barely feel it, how do you even know your controller is working. I know you can work it manually, but is it working off the transducer?

Just asking,

Steve
My only point was that as trucks evolve year to year the manf. can't go back and retro previous models. They'd soon be out of business.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:37 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I understood your post. I think sometimes manufacturers take a step back as so much design is done by folks who never use what they design. I guess it is like that with everything now adays.

Steve

Quick Reply: Trailer braking