1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting my restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 03:50 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i may be one of the very few, but i love the XL style headlights on this and the 08-10 SD trucks. the current body XL lights are the same i believe, but i like the front end on this truck a lot. i know not the best light output, but they look good!

Old 04-30-2016, 03:53 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
i can't tell, but your front bumper...is there plastic cladding on the bottom? or is it all metal?

like this one?

vs the normal front bumper with the plastic trim around the bottom

Old 04-30-2016, 03:54 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
disregard, i just zoomed in on your truck and it's the all metal. i thought those just came on 01 platinum f250s, but i guess some XL's had painted black ones too. i love them.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:29 AM
fordf2501
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it has a plastic piece on the very bottom of the bumper but the front bumper is all metal it was black when my father in law had it as well I wish it was chrome with the factory fog lights but maybe another time

Old 10-25-2016, 07:02 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,089 Likes on 1,782 Posts
Thinking that panel is just to finish it off and help protect the spare tire from crap coming off the tires.

I did not know there was any as my bed was butchered when I bought it.

If you have some thing close to go by you could make them out of flat sheet metal.
It looks l I ke it has 2 90° bends that are not hard to make.
A 2x4 and angle iron with the panel clampdown beteen 2x4 & iron using a hammer bend the panel little at a time working 1 end to the other till you have the 90°.
Dave - - - -

Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 AM
fordf2501
Senior User
well as a update i have replaced the shocks front and back, broke down and did the zoodad mod, and right now am in the middle of replacing my passenger side front unit bearing.
i went on a shopping spree while rock auto was having a wholesaler closeout sale and bought exhaust manifold gaskets, new wipers, new oil cap because mine broke 2 weeks ago, new thermostat, gaskets for the thermostat.
my next projects will be a coolant flush and refill and fixing my broken exhaust manifold leak.
about a month ago my heater core had a blow out driving into town and had to replace it. it was not a hard job to do but the clips under the hood on the firewall where the coolant hoses go into the heater core were a PITA but was able to keep the factory connections.
i also replaced my glass head lights with the plastic style and so far love the look and output of the new head lights compared to the glass style

Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 AM
fordf2501
Senior User
here is the most recent pic of my truck with the new headlights and locking gas tank cover and of the old unit bearing i replaced saturday

Attached Images   
Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM
ocracokenc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You give me hope for my truck. I bought a 2015 truck from another maker that needed a crate engine in the first 6 months and finally the maker bought it back. I ended up picking up a 2000 F250 XL for a sweet deal but it was used by a county water department and even though it has low miles (125,000) it had nothing done to it but they did change the oil and filters.

I had 2 options, I could just drive it and get it to go as far as I could or I could fix it up. I always wanted to restore a truck so I have decided to do mine.

I have spent a lot of money. I have replaced all the o-rings, Moog steering kit, 6.0 cooler, coolant filter, towing mirrors, wicked wheel with new turbo o-rings and this is just the highlights of what I have done.

My paint is not great and it has some dents so body work and paint is next on my list. When I am done I will have 10K in this truck but I really have a soft spot in my heart for these trucks. I have a very dependable truck without a $700 dollar truck payment. Keep up the good work.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:15 AM
fordf2501
Senior User
im glad that i could help someone see the potential in their vehicle. my wife and i are on a water budget and alot of things i have done to my truck were either very cheap or i already had laying around our garage. the pics below i took yesterday. on sunday i polished my driving light lens under the new headlights to bring them back to 2017.
i also had to repaint my grille it was painted with dupli color truck bed armor but with that it made it very hard to clean and you really had to scrub to get all of the bugs off and that started taking a toll on the bed armor. it started to peel off so i made the decision to sand it down again and use a trim paint to bring it back to the shine that it had when it was new. i also had to replace the ford emblem on the grille because the old one had two nut bolts and the tabs they screwed on to to hold it to the grille broke off. all i have to say is 10 dollars for a new emblem is a bit much.

Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2017, 12:26 PM
fordf2501
Senior User
at christmas i got fx4 stickers for my truck but did not really want to put them on because i thought i was going to be getting a new bed for my truck soon but after we found out we are pregnant the bed is going to have to wait till a later date.
so i decided to go ahead and put on my fx4 stickers. and also while i was outside i went ahead and tried to see if adjusting the bolt on top of the power steering gear box would help with my sloppy steering. after driving i can tell it did tighten the steering a bit might help with a alignment and maybe some new tie rod ends. but those will have to wait till a later date aswell.
the stickers are for the model year 12-15 but i like how they look over the 2001 4x4 stickers the truck had before

Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Green Power
Elder User
All the work you have done to your pickup looks wonderful. We have two XL 250's around the farm that i could buy and fix up. This really motivates me to go ahead and do just that. Keep up the great work, and update us regularly!

Old 03-21-2017, 02:03 PM
fordf2501
Senior User
when i picked it up from my father in law i wasnt going to do much just some maintenance and that was going to be about it. but as i was going along and cleaning under the truck with the pressure washer and started knocking off the clear coat that was already peeling off.
it started to consume me that i needed to bring the old truck back to the way it was before it went through its very rough life.
it started as a company truck in 2001 then went to Detroit Michigan then after several years it came back to the south and was given to my father in law as his work truck then he was able to buy it from the company at that time the windshield had been busted out and so he was able to buy the truck for 1,000 dollars from the company. then he gave it to his 17 year old step son who made it is personal trash truck he beat the crap out of it he would throw it in 4wheel drive at 50mph because it would chirp tires and what not. so after he was told to stop he lost the truck and my father in law sold it to a friend of his so he could use it for the same company as a work truck. he beat the crap out of the truck more than my brother in law did and the trans went out and was rebuilt after about 3 or 4 years it was offered back to my father in law and he bought it back after about 2 or 3 years of it really just sitting around and people using it as a spare truck it really was not driven that much then my father in law gave it to me and my wife. and from that point on we have had the truck and i have been driving it daily and luckily have not had that really major problems with it. as it sits today it has 261,000 miles and has some slight blow by but i check the oil every other day and the truck has treated me good so far

Old 03-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Green Power
Elder User
It sure doesn't look like it has so many miles. Could you give us some info on the led lights that you put in the bumper?

When you painted it, did you use a clear coat on top of the rattle can?

Old 03-21-2017, 05:03 PM
fordf2501
Senior User
after i finished the rattle can primer i went over the entire truck with ppg arctic white and 2 to 3 clear coats.
the led lights in the front bumper are off of amazon they are nilights. i bought the 4 pack and 2 on the rear bumper tied into my reverse lights. they help with driving around on these back country roads to help light up the sides of the road more than out front of the truck

Old 03-24-2017, 07:30 AM
chick
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Good work. I love seeing a truck raised from the dead.

Quick Reply: starting my restoration