Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally bought a Tow Rig, Help me set it up.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:31 AM
wpsharpshooter
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally bought a Tow Rig, Help me set it up.

Ok, After towing the camper with our 2015 F150 Eco, We decided we wanted something heavier. The F150 pulled it fine but was still only a half ton. The girlfriend also wanted something that sat 6 people so that led us to the excursion. Now with that said, I came across a 2000 4x4 limited V10 with 84k miles on it. She fell in love with it so that pretty much stopped the search and she wanted this particular one come hell or high water. Just bought it last night so I haven't drove it. She says the brakes are horrible and the steering has a lot of play. So we are going to be addressing these things pretty quickly. Also going to need some step bars (GF is only 5ft 3in) Any suggestions on those? My question is whats gonna be the best parts to put on this rig? Ideally I want to fix, replace or upgrade anything that's needing it. This wont necessarily be driven everyday but we want a good dependable and capable tow vehicle that can go anywhere. We are pulling a 24ft XLR toy hauler, dry weight of around 5500lbs and Id venture to say probably somewhere closer to 8k loaded. Not sure on tires size, (im out of town for work) but might look into a gear change as well. Overall its fairly clean. I think with a little bit of TLC and the help of you guys, we can make this a very good platform to haul. Here is a few pics

Old 04-19-2016, 09:37 AM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Airbags in the rear, all new shocks, good WD hitch, gauge to measure trans temps, new brakes, brake controller, tuner, shift kit

*4r100 had an issue with torque converter coming apart, might consider replacing. Also there was a valve is the transmission that led to early failures, can't remember which one it was but maybe look into that as well.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:39 AM
wpsharpshooter
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by BroncoRN
Airbags in the rear, all new shocks, good WD hitch
We have a WD hitch now, so hopefully we can check that off the list. Any specific shocks to look at?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:43 AM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
I put the adjustable Rancho 9000s in the rear. Make sure you have at least one sway control bar with that WD hitch.

And I used this brake controller:

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...5wjPKPJz0br%7C

Old 04-19-2016, 10:04 AM
wpsharpshooter
Cross-Country
Thanks BroncoRN .. I know nothing about brake controllers. The F150 has it built in, and Ive never needed one before so its new ground for me lol

Old 04-19-2016, 10:14 AM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
That one is great, can control up to 3 axles, has 3 brake boost modes, and applies brakes proportionally to pressure excerted on brake pedal by you. So its not all or nothing like the cheaper controllers and it will allow you to mount it up to 70 degrees. Mine is mounted to the lower right of my steering wheel next to ash tray. You may have to buy a ford pigtail for it I can't remember exactly. I know the wiring is tucked up in the dash you just have to go find it. If you search the forum you can find what it looks like and general location.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
The guys here recommended the Tekonsha P3 when I was shopping a few months back. That's what we got and it does a great job!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:19 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
brakes:
power stop rotors
hawk LTS pads
crown performance lines
motorcraft master

steering,
spicer ball joints
spicer tie rod ends
redhead steering gear
ford intermediate shaft
ford track bar
Bilstein steering damper

steps,
retractable from Bestop or Amp are pretty slick.

towing.
depends on how it tows now and what is lacking. air bags are typically the best solution for getting the correct spring rate.
tekonsha brake controller
shocks are a personal preference on what sort of ride you want, KYB mono max, rancho 9000, Bilstein 5100 are worth considering.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 AM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of good reading in the tech folder at the top of the page- that will answer lots of questions you hadn't even thought of yet!
Steering play can mean worn parts in the front end- that's the first place to look/feel around. Tire pressure really affect these trucks- too much makes them 'darty', I like 55-60 lbs unloaded.
After that all checks out, have the alignment checked/adjusted to include 5* caster. Good post here- https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...of-caster.html. HUGE deal!
Steering boxes are suspect- some are good for a long time, some go away early.
Stock Exs have 27mm rear anti sway bars- '99-'07 F350s have 30mm ones that'll bolt right on (think Pick n Pull). Or Hellwig has good ones; but make sure yours at least has one- some Exs came with none.
Good luck!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:25 AM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
I got bored...here is brake controller location:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-equipped.html

Old 04-19-2016, 10:56 AM
wpsharpshooter
Cross-Country
Thanks BroncoRN.. Im going to look into that brake controller. First thing Im looking into is swapping out the breaks though. I want the truck to be able to stop before hooking thousands of pounds of trailer up to it. Ive looking into the Cryo Powerslot rotors. There seems to be several different choices, as well as several different part numbers. I want all 4 rotors. Can somebody point out specifically what I need? Also on the Hawk pads as well Part numbers or links? Ive seen the LTS then Ive saw the super duty. Which ones are the preferred? Originally I thought, I would just go to the part store and get the oem ( i mean hey its new parts) but after reading some here, All parts are not created equal and I want to get this right from the start. Don't want to be there scratching my head saying "man I wished I would've listened. I know it'll cost a little more on the front end, but safety and not having a white knuckle braking experience is worth a little more to me.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:15 AM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
Along those same lines make sure you trailer brakes are in good shape. If probably setup/adjusted those can actually slow the truck down instead of vise versa. Make sure to read the review I backed away from the aftermarket brake pads after reading about lots of squealing. As mine is primarily a DD that would just be annoying.

It cost me about $300 just in parts to do front brakes/rotors/bearings on mine from NAPA.

I don't think it has been said yet, but awesome looking truck BTW!

Old 04-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Ronnie Shierling
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap out the mirrors for sure for the 08 super duty mirrors alot better for towing.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:29 AM
wpsharpshooter
Cross-Country
Thanks.. The GF loved the updated front end.. As far as the trailer brakes. It is a new trailer so they should be good to go. Ive read mixed reviews on the squealing. Some say they squeal and some say they are quite.. I just want to go with the best option.. What ever that may be.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:40 AM
wpsharpshooter
Cross-Country
Ronnie You have a link to the ones your talking about? Im assuming they bolt right up? what about lights, The wiring all the same?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally bought a Tow Rig, Help me set it up.