Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Read codes fixed problem NOW more codes and it runs worse

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:52 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
I will echo Timbersteel's comments above.

Very odd for Code 334 to show up in KOER but not KOEO. You can measure the EVP output with a meter to verify the signal output. Do it for both KOEO and KOER. If the output is good then you know for the sure the 'puter is an issue.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:55 PM
ceej4801
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks timbersteel.
I know the pics weren't the greatest but I was by myself and the notebook does its own thing on photos.
I have checked the altinator many time usually 12.56 vo!ts at its very lowest. When running it's normally at 14.34volts. I will monitor those sensors I have already checked them but I will do it again.

I am gonna try a reman PCM from Cardone. To see if there is any difference. I should get it tomorrow sometime and I'm gonna plug it in and see.

I don't like to fix this way but my options are running out.
In good light the board looks good ( to me anyways). I didn't see any discoloration, cracks, etc.

I'm gonna get help and try again with the pics.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:45 PM
ceej4801
Senior User

I tried multiple angles so hopefully it will be clearer!!!<br/>

Pics
These pics have more light does this help! I really don't see any problems with board. Only thing I could say is on the outer case there is some aging and crud on the case by the ports but I don't see any intrusion to the interior. But I'm not very familiar with this PCM. Maybe someone with a more practiced eye will chime in on the condition
Thanks.
Charlie

Old 04-25-2016, 09:23 PM
ceej4801
Senior User
Thanks for the reply rla2005.
I will check that. But I went ahead and am getting a outer. I'm gonna testing on both I will run codels on both to see if any differences show up.
I'll say it again I will find the problem. I don't like throwing parts at it like this. It's wasteful and uncertian. But I'm kinda up against the wall. I gotta resolve this quickly.
Thanks again
Charlie

Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
You mentioned that you are dropping down to 12.56 volts. When does this happen?

This can cause major problems with the electronics.

And I tried looking really close at the pictures, but they distort when enlarged. I know you tried doing the best with what you have.

Let us know what happens with the Reman PCM.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:02 PM
ceej4801
Senior User
Timbersteel the 12.56 is at resting state when vehicle is off not running. When running it is usually14 .7 max and never have seen it below 13.6 while everything running that can be run.

I will update once I know what's up. I hate threads that don't have a resolution.
Thanks
Charlie
Edit:
This truck has consistantly amazed me!
Factoty battery 9 yrs 2cnd battery 13 yrs. I just put new one in.
This truck will only run if it's right. If it's not she moans groans and complains the whole time. To date the only time I ever was stranded was when I first bought it ICM went out. That's it. Because of this truck I became a better mechanic. I had to fix her right cause it wouldn't run if I didnt.
Sounds silly I know but it's true. This truck taught me to be right the first time and not guess at it.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:21 PM
ceej4801
Senior User
Update!

Well PCM was definitely a problem. What was wrong with it I'm not sure.
Truck is running better!! Not100% yet. Cleared all codes and am driving it for a little while before I check into the codes again.
Time to give my brain a rest. Stumble is gone. Still have an idle issue but it is IAC. Waiting on a motorcraft IAC. It will idle but struggles when I put A/C on.
Have an EGR to put on and I have replaced the ACT.
Will pull codes after I get IAC. SEL comes on briefly and goes out under acceleration. Till I get that in I see no point in pulling codes. I cleaned IAC several times and each time idle improved.

Any suggestions comments welcome. It has been a journey and an adventure. Not one I wish to repeat tho.
Will update again when parts are in and working.
Thanks to all who have helped to get this far

Charlie

Old 04-28-2016, 08:06 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd pull the codes anyways, as the IAC shouldn't matter while under heavy acceleration .

Old 04-29-2016, 05:19 PM
bradjp92
6th Gear
Good read!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:18 AM
ceej4801
Senior User
Thanks bradjp92. I hope i helps someone who has stuff going crazy and seems like nothing is going to get fixed.
Leadhead, your right. I had to step back and clear my head from everything that I thought I knew. I realized that I have changed the computer and now everything I have done is in the past. Time to start over. I still have a problem that needs to be adressed. So I took the time to make a chart to record my findings as I retest. I'll post it after I get done with it and the results. Hopefully this will make my problem jump out and say here I am.
No matter what we think. These vehicles are computer driven and as such are complicated to find problems. So by making this worksheet I am trying to make it systematic and follow some sort of plan. This way the problem should jump out of the page and show itself to me.
Stay tuned for the update!
Thanks
Charlie

Old 05-06-2016, 03:57 PM
ceej4801
Senior User
So I have done the following. I started over with all checks and tests.
Pulled plugs found two fouled replaced the two regapped all plugs to .043 gap.
Tested wires all but 2 had over 10k in resistance. Replaced said wires.With motorcraft wires.
Triple checked firing order aind made sure that the cap and button looked good. Gonna order new ones if I need to but I haven't yet.
Let me explain.
Started truck ran rough. So I checked firing order and somehow I got wire outta place. Fixed it.
Now when I start it I have to floor it to get started. Will start but cranks for a while and starts. About 6 cranks. Will not idle and smokes like a freight train. Nice blue smoke got some coming from engine and out da tailpipe.
Ran codes KOEO 111 CM 332 and 334.
I did not replace EGR due to replacing plug wires returned EGR got wires instead since basically same cost.
Now I have not run KOER yet. It will not idle so until I can achieve that I am not gonna be able to run KOER.
Now what?
Please advise oach time I replace anything it seems to get worse and worse.
This is beginning to PI$$ me off. I have never had this much problem with a vehicle. I have always.maintained all my vehicles for the past 30 some yrs.
I don't know what to do next. Except replace EGR and check for blockage in the tube.
Thanks
Charlie

Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Start unplugging sensors until it runs. I'd start by unplugging the MAP sensor on the firewall, then the ECT sensor, then the ACT sensor, then the O2 sensor and then finally the TPS sensor. The engine can run with just the PIP sensor, although it won't be happy.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:36 AM
ceej4801
Senior User
Thanks Ian.
I will try that. I'm waiting on parts now. I pulled the upper intake and throttle body.cleaned and reset them.
I replaced the EGR and am waiting on an IAC from Ford. I'm through fooling around with this motor.
I planned on eliminating sensors one by one and seeing what would happen as I did it. Wasn't sure how she'd react to it but figured we'd get there one way or another.
To eliminate a c!log in the exhaust I gave pulled that loose and have an open y right now. It's pretty well rotted out. Figured that it'll be loud but unrestricted.
Should at least be able to get idle and check timing and reset it if needed. I just figured start over from the beginning and not skip anything. This s should get me on the right path to correcting whatever is wrong.
This has been trying to say the least. But I will figure this out. One sensor at a time if need be.

Thanks for all the support and guidance everyone has given me. It has been challenging to decipher this.
I hope I'm on the right path. Just made sense to methodically work my way thru it.

I will end up replacing all the exhaust system next. Slot sooner than I planned but....I need the truck to be dependable again. I've spent way more $ than I planned and waaayyy more time on this than it should have taken. But I think I'm getting there!!!
Onv
Once I get a running truck. I'll fill everyone in on what finally is the solution to this problem is.
Might take a few days tho..

Again many thanks to all who have helped guide me thru this.
Thanks
Charlie

Old 05-13-2016, 06:56 PM
ceej4801
Senior User
** UPDATE **

After retesting everything and pulling codes. I replaced the EGR. While working on it I ran it with EGR unplugged I noticed that exhaust sounded funny. I found leak before the cat. So I removed it to see if plugged up. It was broken up inside.
Now I have an idleing like it should.
While testing I found that the IAC ohmned out at 4250. So I'm replacing it. I ordered it today.
In a few days we should be back to normal!!

Next is replacing the exhaust. Factory one is slowly dieing. So it's time to replace.
Think I got it now!! I'll know in a few days when I get the parts.
Thanks to all who helped me thru this fun time ( not!! ).
Charlie

Old 05-15-2016, 02:52 PM
ceej4801
Senior User
Well I may have hoped too much!

Since I had an idle I decided to drive around a little. It is running better but....
I seem to have no power. Sometimes feels like I could walk faster!

I ran codes. KOER - 111. CM - 334! Still have this code!!! I have no idea why!!

Somebody smarter or with more experience with this one please help me fix this!!!

I'm waiting on the IAC to come in, but I thought for sure with the new EGR and a new EVP sensor this would go. Retest the sensor?? What do I do now???!
Thanks in advance!!!!
Charlie

Quick Reply: Read codes fixed problem NOW more codes and it runs worse