1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Wiring diagram for 1991 Ford e150 running lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 PM
John_e150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring diagram for 1991 Ford e150 running lights

Hello enthusiasts.
I really need to get my darn daytime running lights to work. I am looking for a wiring diagram. These is what's going on:
  • Normal lights work
  • high beam work
  • the running light do work, but they are so very very dim, I have to cup my hands around the sealed beam.
  • when I unplug the whole connector to a sealed beam, both have 3 wires going to them, the other side works great.
  • The switch for the parking break work fine.

I know running lights are very ingeniously made, maybe a resistor on a relay? something complex enough for me to not really know!

Hope somebody can help me. I'm sure it's a bad ground, or corrosion, but I's rather just find the right wires, snip the whole deal and start from scratch if possible. So a schematic would be great, but also guidance or any other help would be...helpful!

Thanks

Old 04-14-2016, 07:01 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi John,
I ran into a headlight problem on a 97 Explorer and chased a bunch of web links for it. One that I still have is for a Ford Ranger:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...90andlater.JPG

I remember at one point, the high beams ran through a resistor for reduced lighting, later years (after 2000?) there was a switching module that did the same job at increased complexity. Years after that, the dealer could change the programming to add or delete DRLs.

I solved my no headlights problem by resoldering the connections in the lighting module in the console of the Explorer. It seems that Ford's supplier of that module could use some extra soldering training.

Google daytime running lights for a list of info. jim

Last edited by jimandnena; 04-14-2016 at 07:02 AM. Reason: tpyo?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 AM
John_e150
Freshman User
@Jim Thank you so much! I looked around the web and could find some good info, but no diagram. You've made my day better, and easier. I think the culprit is the red/black wire running from the module. I'll look for that module, and start from there. Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:44 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by John_e150
@Jim Thank you so much! I looked around the web and could find some good info, but no diagram. You've made my day better, and easier. I think the culprit is the red/black wire running from the module. I'll look for that module, and start from there. Thanks again.
You are welcome. Car wiring is one of my least favorite things.

If you have one headlight working normally, I would chase the ground wire for the dim side. The odds are it is a bad ground for that side causing resistance and dimming the light.

The 97 Explorer I fixed had different wire colors on each headlight connector? I had always found the same wire colors on both headlights so that discovery had me talking to myself for awhile. :-) jim

Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like doing wiring myself, it affords me the opportunity to upgrade the shortcuts made at the factory, a link to a different car line but I've found this information valuable; BASIC WIRING 101, Getting You Started! - JeepForum.com

Old 04-15-2016, 02:13 PM
John_e150
Freshman User
Gave up. Spent money. Got Haynes service manual for 69-91 econolines.

Thank you all for the help. @turbogus, it's a very good site to check out, thanks.

I finally just got the Haynes book...but hey , maybe now I can help others. And after skim reading the book, I see that all the info I was given here was correct. You guys and gals rock!

Haynes Repair manual; '69-'91 full size Ford vans.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:16 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
If you have an alternative, I'd reccomend staying away from Haynes, Clymer and the new age Motors manuals as they seem more and more to have generic information that is not nessesarily accurate, and on some cars the order of operations was scrambled. Whenever possible get the TSM from the manufacturer, used at places like Amazon, Ebay or Powells Books, hyper accurate and much more informative.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:41 PM
John_e150
Freshman User
@ turbogus , Thank you for the info. The Haynes is not only close, but actually in my kitchen. I got every single wiring diagram in this book. Including the wiring for daytime running lights. But if I ever need more detailed info, I will indeed check out what you have suggested. Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:19 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
It was just a thought, based on my experience. I just hope your edition of that Haynes heinous? hyenes? (for those that remember Kentucky Fried Movie ~
) is accurate

Old 04-17-2016, 12:33 AM
John_e150
Freshman User
Solved. e150 daytime running light problem.

Well I fixed it!

I checked all of the wiring. All was good. Checked and re-mapped the darn fuse box. All was good. Light and dimmer switch good. The daytime running lights were still dim.

Wiggled, cleaned wires. Wiggles DRL module. Checked the plug. All good and greased.

Got a small hammer out, tapped on the DRL module,
the light got a bit brighter. Then I got a bigger hammer, and hit a little harder, got brighter.

Then, well. I gently tapped the sh*# out of the module, and the lights are bright and functioning! I thought of opening it up, but didn't want to take the heat resistant seal type whatever they got on there. Nylon-ish. Anyways.

After 4 hours of checking schematics, and testing components, I fixed, for a short duration most probably, my daytime running lights. Using a hammer, and repressed anger as a remedy.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:04 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by John_e150
Well I fixed it!

I checked all of the wiring. All was good. Checked and re-mapped the darn fuse box. All was good. Light and dimmer switch good. The daytime running lights were still dim.

Wiggled, cleaned wires. Wiggles DRL module. Checked the plug. All good and greased.

Got a small hammer out, tapped on the DRL module,
the light got a bit brighter. Then I got a bigger hammer, and hit a little harder, got brighter.

Then, well. I gently tapped the sh*# out of the module, and the lights are bright and functioning! I thought of opening it up, but didn't want to take the heat resistant seal type whatever they got on there. Nylon-ish. Anyways.

After 4 hours of checking schematics, and testing components, I fixed, for a short duration most probably, my daytime running lights. Using a hammer, and repressed anger as a remedy.

Yer killin' me, John!

I like that you don't force your tools -- right hammer for the right job, and all. I know you are in Canada but giving it a proper bashing was a British solution (are you familiar with Lucas lighting?).

One more suggestion, take the hammer with you to the inspection station just in case. I once fixed a broken highbeam with a smack of my hand, got me out of a traffic ticket. jim

Old 04-17-2016, 09:43 AM
John_e150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jimandnena
Yer killin' me, John!

I like that you don't force your tools -- right hammer for the right job, and all. I know you are in Canada but giving it a proper bashing was a British solution (are you familiar with Lucas lighting?).

One more suggestion, take the hammer with you to the inspection station just in case. I once fixed a broken highbeam with a smack of my hand, got me out of a traffic ticket. jim
Hammer is in the van. The British bashing! lol Love it! After I clobbered it, however, the module and I made amends. We talked, and smoothed things out, and we are all good now...for a while.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:04 PM
dhuddleson
Freshman User
I think the Ford DRL modules in just about every type of Ford through the 90's in Canada ended up dying slowly. It puzzled me for many months, but then it seemed just a standard thing that Canadian market Ford's with DRL's would end up with dim lighting. Not the Lucas "flickering" mode of MG's and Jaguars....

Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by dhuddleson
I think the Ford DRL modules in just about every type of Ford through the 90's in Canada ended up dying slowly. It puzzled me for many months, but then it seemed just a standard thing that Canadian market Ford's with DRL's would end up with dim lighting. Not the Lucas "flickering" mode of MG's and Jaguars....
and every British motorbike I owned.

The lighting control module used in the US looks like a Radio Shack home project circuit board with soldering to match. I reflowed every solder join on the board and it is still working. jim

Old 10-13-2016, 01:38 AM
zarmo
Junior User
I have researched the DRL on my 1992 E150 to find out if I could get them to work. does any know if the wiring is there for all models, and just needs the module and a few fuses installed. My Insurance company wnated to know if I had DRL on my van, I said I did not know, but there is a discount if I have them working.

Quick Reply: Wiring diagram for 1991 Ford e150 running lights