6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

atlas 40

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaskew
I noticed better throttle response from a start. Noticibly more power too. Also have seen around 1 mpg gain. I sent my FICM in just for the Atlas 40 tune with no repairs. I read somewhere that different strategies will affect the mpg's after the Atlas 40 tune has been installed. Maybe someone will chime in that actually knows and fill us in.. lol.
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Got it and had no MPG change. Better tip-in throttle response was the only change. Plus a lighter wallet. IMO it's not worth it on it's own; people will swear up and down they got +2-4mpg, but they likely got it BACK after having FICM problems and getting the tune as part of a repair.

Put an EGT gauge in if you're adding any fuel and towing.
I had VXCF9H7 paired with ARZ2AL11, then was rolled back to VXCF4H2 paired with an AMZ2AL11 "Atlas 40" FICM tune.

Ed and several people here have told me it's unusual to not see gains, but alas, no gains to report.

I need access to IDS to do an uncompensated contribution test to entirely rule out injector problems, but there are zero signs or data points of any problems; the truck has been spot-on maintained since it was brand new. There's never been a fall off in performance, but no gains either. Ran Archoil 9100 for 10k (2 changes) from 85k to 95k, and other than quieting the engine down some there was no change during/after that either.
I've noticed that certain VXCF4 strategies don't see any gains in the mileage and power department with the Atlas 40, one of them being VXCF4X3.

This was on a 2007 F350 SRW CCLB 4wd. His truck ran great and easily got 18 mpg on the freeway with AMZ2AL12, but when his FICM was on it's way out, he sent it off to Ed, had the Atlas 40 put in and while the throttle response was better, my truck outperformed his with the same SRL+, but I was running ARZ2AL11. His fuel economy went from the usual 18 mpg to not much more than 13-14 mpg around town and maybe 16 on the freeway. (This was before and after the engine work) His truck was eventually stolen and replaced by a 2006 F350 SRW CCLB 4wd.

The replacement truck was lifted, running slightly larger tires, and also had a 4 inch exhaust. It was also running VXCF4HB and AMZ2AL12. It got great fuel economy and had plenty of power. The only problem I found while inspecting the truck was that the FICM was failing showing 44 volts running and dropped as low as 26 volts cranking. It was sent off, repaired, and the Atlas 40 applied. On a fishing trip down to Sargent, Tx he averaged 19 mpg maintaining 75 mph.

Magnolia Tom's old 2004 Excursion was running VXBC9XX (I forget the last two letters) but I swapped in my spare Atlas 40 FICM and mileage went from an abysmal 13 mpg running ARZ2AL10, to 17 mpg running the Atlas 40. I'll have to dig and take a look, but some strategies play better with the Atlas 40 than others.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:49 AM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Might be a dumb question but why so many diff stratagies for the same 6.0?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by wedge542
Might be a dumb question but why so many diff stratagies for the same 6.0?
Different levels of emissions requirements

Federal
Green state
Blue state
California emissions

One of the other reasons was to address running and performance issues that could be fixed via programming.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:06 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I've noticed that certain VXCF4 strategies don't see any gains in the mileage and power department with the Atlas 40, one of them being VXCF4X3.

This was on a 2007 F350 SRW CCLB 4wd. His truck ran great and easily got 18 mpg on the freeway with AMZ2AL12, but when his FICM was on it's way out, he sent it off to Ed, had the Atlas 40 put in and while the throttle response was better, my truck outperformed his with the same SRL+, but I was running ARZ2AL11. His fuel economy went from the usual 18 mpg to not much more than 13-14 mpg around town and maybe 16 on the freeway. (This was before and after the engine work) His truck was eventually stolen and replaced by a 2006 F350 SRW CCLB 4wd.

The replacement truck was lifted, running slightly larger tires, and also had a 4 inch exhaust. It was also running VXCF4HB and AMZ2AL12. It got great fuel economy and had plenty of power. The only problem I found while inspecting the truck was that the FICM was failing showing 44 volts running and dropped as low as 26 volts cranking. It was sent off, repaired, and the Atlas 40 applied. On a fishing trip down to Sargent, Tx he averaged 19 mpg maintaining 75 mph.

Magnolia Tom's old 2004 Excursion was running VXBC9XX (I forget the last two letters) but I swapped in my spare Atlas 40 FICM and mileage went from an abysmal 13 mpg running ARZ2AL10, to 17 mpg running the Atlas 40. I'll have to dig and take a look, but some strategies play better with the Atlas 40 than others.
Reps TD....great info. All these strategies are mind boggling to me, that said the old '03 does great with whatever Ed did to the FICM and the addition of the Atlas 40.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:09 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
but some strategies play better with the Atlas 40 than others.
And the problem is I don't have a way to get a strategy that plays better. Ed can only sell me another flash and I'm not paying another $150 to try this again.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Got it and had no MPG change. Better tip-in throttle response was the only change. Plus a lighter wallet. IMO it's not worth it on it's own; people will swear up and down they got +2-4mpg, but they likely got it BACK after having FICM problems and getting the tune as part of a repair.

Put an EGT gauge in if you're adding any fuel and towing.
I had the same experience. I also put it on a perfectly good working truck with a good FICM. No repair or problems that got fixed at the same time. One thing that differs with me is that I did not notice better tip in throttle response.
Ed did offer to remove the atlas 40 but I did not take him up on that offer solely because the performance is not worse, and I don't feel like removing the FICM and having the truck down for 3 days AND paying for next day air. Not really a great financial decision to do that. If it were something I could do at no cost and with no down time I'd get my money back.
IMO get some programs from Matt at Gearhead and skip the Atlas.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:59 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
And the problem is I don't have a way to get a strategy that plays better. Ed can only sell me another flash and I'm not paying another $150 to try this again.
We wouldn't actually charge you to pop a different tune on your FICM, in case that helps any. We do whatever is necessary to take care of our customers!

Of course, if you were talking about getting a different ECM strategy installed there would be a charge for that as we never had our fingers in that cookie jar.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:48 PM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I wonder if something is either different in an '04, or if they changed something in Torque? I haven't looked for awhile but there wasn't even an entry for FICM strategy and the PCM calibration only came back as VXC (or maybe it was VCX). Anyway thanks for posting this -- I'll go check it out!
I have an '05. I downloaded Torque for the first time last week hoping to get my strategies with it and that is what I got too. There's a Calibration ID field and it seems to switch around depending on where you go in the menus before coming back to the Adapter Status. All I can get from it is VXC as well. I wonder if you can install a previous version from the app store.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:08 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
We wouldn't actually charge you to pop a different tune on your FICM, in case that helps any. We do whatever is necessary to take care of our customers!

Of course, if you were talking about getting a different ECM strategy installed there would be a charge for that as we never had our fingers in that cookie jar.
Ed you're always great, but I ordered direct from PHP back in 2012 and got the PCM rollback at the same time as the tune. I don't want to ask you to swap tunes that you never sold to me, that's why I'd need to pay you the fair fee for the tune.

But this ^^^ is quality customer service.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:48 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Ed you're always great, but I ordered direct from PHP back in 2012 and got the PCM rollback at the same time as the tune. I don't want to ask you to swap tunes that you never sold to me, that's why I'd need to pay you the fair fee for the tune.

But this ^^^ is quality customer service.
Pfft. We'd take care of you even though you didn't get the tunes from us originally. That's just how we roll.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I didn't care much for the Atlas 40 in terms of driveability or economy. I actually netted lower MPG with the Atlas 40 versus the Post-Cycle Buzz Flash that I had previously.

I will say though, the Atlas 40 had fantastic cold starting performance.

Josh

Old 04-14-2016, 09:34 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark_in_co
I have an '05. I downloaded Torque for the first time last week hoping to get my strategies with it and that is what I got too. There's a Calibration ID field and it seems to switch around depending on where you go in the menus before coming back to the Adapter Status. All I can get from it is VXC as well. I wonder if you can install a previous version from the app store.
I'm thinking we are screw_d, as far as getting the calib. info. off Torque -- I will check it out soon, but rolling back to a previous version of the App I doubt will work (been using it for awhile and it is one of the 1st things I looked for).

Sorry for the Off Topic here...

Old 04-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
I didn't care much for the Atlas 40 in terms of driveability or economy. I actually netted lower MPG with the Atlas 40 versus the Post-Cycle Buzz Flash that I had previously.

I will say though, the Atlas 40 had fantastic cold starting performance.

Josh
Yes it does....

While I initially thought them offering 2003, 2004, and 2005-2007 FICM tunes was based on the strategy (VXA, VXB, and VXC), there's more to it. Something the folks at PHP mentioned is that different FICM strategies "talk" to the PCM differently than others.

When I first loaded up the Atlas 40, I noticed less fuel economy, no change in throttle response, but strangely enough, more power (tons of black smoke). I loaded up the 2005-2007 version of the Atlas 40 thinking: "I have a 2005 Excursion with a 2005 engine, so I have 2005 programming" No, I absolutely do not....

The strategies I run are VXADB1MZ (what's on the pcm stock, don't care for it) and VXDB1M3 (tuned and much better than VXDB1MZ). These and the other strategies for a 2005 Excursion with a 2005 engine:

EBT1-VXDA1M2
EBT2-VXDA2M9
EBT3-VXDA2M3
VXD0-VXDB1M3
VXD1-VXDB1MZ

.....are based off of 2004 programming and not 2005 programming. I accidentally found this out because for grins, I loaded up the 2004 version of the Atlas 40 and voila! The power, the gasser-like throttle response, and eventually the fuel economy, were there. It is seriously impressive what the Atlas 40 does to either a stock or tuned truck and I couldn't be happier.

(Keep in mind, I NEVER got a code for a mismatched FICM either...)

Prior to this I was running AMZ2AL12 and unless I had a 2005-2007 Super Duty, it wasn't going to run as awesome as it should seeing as it and the PCM spoke the same language, just different dialects. So I'm saving this for the dually I'm dreaming of.

Josh, bottom line, you very possibly could have ended up with a mismatched FICM tune for your strategy, which would explain the loss of fuel economy and black smoke you experienced.

This was also a PSA for my fellow 2005 Excursion with a 2005 engine.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-15-2016, 10:43 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com

Ed, we are driving through Iowa as I mentioned in my last phone conversation with you. I don't have time to send my ECM to you as we leave the end of May. Can you program my ECM if I stop by FICMrepair?

Old 04-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes it does....

While I initially thought them offering 2003, 2004, and 2005-2007 FICM tunes was based on the strategy (VXA, VXB, and VXC), there's more to it. Something the folks at PHP mentioned is that different FICM strategies "talk" to the PCM differently than others.

When I first loaded up the Atlas 40, I noticed less fuel economy, no change in throttle response, but strangely enough, more power (tons of black smoke). I loaded up the 2005-2007 version of the Atlas 40 thinking: "I have a 2005 Excursion with a 2005 engine, so I have 2005 programming" No, I absolutely do not....

The strategies I run are VXADB1MZ (what's on the pcm stock, don't care for it) and VXDB1M3 (tuned and much better than VXDB1MZ). These and the other strategies for a 2005 Excursion with a 2005 engine:

EBT1-VXDA1M2
EBT2-VXDA2M9
EBT3-VXDA2M3
VXD0-VXDB1M3
VXD1-VXDB1MZ

.....are based off of 2004 programming and not 2005 programming. I accidentally found this out because for grins, I loaded up the 2004 version of the Atlas 40 and voila! The power, the gasser-like throttle response, and eventually the fuel economy, were there. It is seriously impressive what the Atlas 40 does to either a stock or tuned truck and I couldn't be happier.

(Keep in mind, I NEVER got a code for a mismatched FICM either...)

Prior to this I was running AMZ2AL12 and unless I had a 2005-2007 Super Duty, it wasn't going to run as awesome as it should seeing as it and the PCM spoke the same language, just different dialects. So I'm saving this for the dually I'm dreaming of.

Josh, bottom line, you very possibly could have ended up with a mismatched FICM tune for your strategy, which would explain the loss of fuel economy and black smoke you experienced.

This was also a PSA for my fellow 2005 Excursion with a 2005 engine.
REPS! AWESOME info, next we'll want to "root" the PCM and upload Android to run our engine... from a micro SD card..

Quick Reply: atlas 40