Modular V10 (6.8l)  

to tune, or not to tune...that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Goodstuff
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to tune, or not to tune...that is the question

Hi fellas, new owner of a 2000 F250 lariat 4x4 V10 with only 56k miles on it. I've read a number of threads concerning engine maintenance but wanted to get a few opinions concerning what I should do to help with the performance and longevity of my new PU. It's got power but seams a bit more sluggish then I thought a big v10 would be. I know it's an older vehicle and though the miles are low time can still take it's toll on parts. It's originally from Oregon so it's got a bit of rust on the underbelly and drive parts but nothing terrible.
anything in particular i should look out for or do to maximize performance and longevity? the truck will be used around town a bit but mostly I'm concerned with it getting me in and out of the areas I'm looking to camp and hunt in.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Vwags
Elder User
I did tune and am happy I did. I like the way the trans shifts when I'm towing better the way 5 star set it up but then I switch from a tow tune to an economy tune when daily driving because I don't like how the tow tune holds the gears for so long when empty. Just one of the advantages of a tune, customizing to what you are doing at the time. I also had a muffler shop build a proper y pipe. Mine had one that looked like a "T" vs a "Y" and it bugged me. Most people do those 2 things as well as normal maintenance. You can find a lot to read about the spark plugs blowing out and how to try to avoid it. Most I read boils it down to making sure they stay tight. I would change them and I chose to torque mine above spec with the thinking being they will stay tight and not loosen up which is the theory most have as to why they blow out, loosen over time, start rattling and then pop.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Goodstuff
Freshman User
My apologies I guess I used the wrong term in my headline, I'm more referring to what I said in the body of my post. Spark plugs are one thing for sure thank you that I will ad to the list, I imagine they are not performing as well after 16 years. A tuner would be a good idea however five star doesn't show one offered for my engine and year...anyone with a V10 have a preference? And what about plug wires and other parts that could use replacement or may help performance thank you

Old 04-12-2016, 09:45 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Email 5 star. They have one and it's the best out there.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:02 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 819 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Goodstuff
My apologies I guess I used the wrong term in my headline, I'm more referring to what I said in the body of my post. Spark plugs are one thing for sure thank you that I will ad to the list, I imagine they are not performing as well after 16 years. A tuner would be a good idea however five star doesn't show one offered for my engine and year...anyone with a V10 have a preference? And what about plug wires and other parts that could use replacement or may help performance thank you

I just checked 5Star's website and this Got a 1997-2010 V10 6.8L? - 5 Star Tuning should cover your '00 V-10. My Custom Tunes from them are one of the best things that I've done to my truck!

Old 04-12-2016, 10:49 PM
Goodstuff
Freshman User
wonderful thank you, I didn't see it listed ion there site. any other suggestions to get more out of this engine in the areas of general maintenance?

Old 04-13-2016, 06:51 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
I have the 5Star tuner for my 01 F350 V-10.....best thing for my truck! Usually run my 87 perf. tune unless I pull my 12K 5th wheel....then I go to the 89 tow tune. Mike knows what he is doing.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
In my opinion, which has been formed by my experience with a 2V V-10, deeper gears are biggest single (well double I guess for a 4X4 truck ) performance mod you can do for them. Quicker off the line, better throttle response and while at cruising speeds it is running a little higher revs, where the V-10 makes better power. Going from stock 3.73 gears and 31.5" tires my EX went from getting 6/7 MPG towing a 9,500lb toyhauler to a solid 9 MPG pulling that same trailer over the same route with a change to 4.88 gears and 32" tires. The current configuration still has the 4.88s but now with 35.28" tires (effective 4.39 ratio) and 5Star's 89 Octane Performance tune we are getting 8/9 MPG pulling our 41' 11,000lb travel trailer.
I have also installed a set of Banks headers, they did bring a small increase in performance too, not as much as the gears or tunes but still noticeable.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
For what it's worth, on my 2001, the biggest improvement anywhere was the 5-star 87 octane performance tune.

My 0-60 time with 3.73 gears is something like 10 seconds (let's use that as a reference). The 5-star tuned knocked a full second off that. That's a 10% improvement from improved engine performance and shifting performance.

The Y-pipe mod was another great improvement, not in overall power or acceleration, but throttle response. HUGE improvement in throttle response.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Vwags
Elder User
I read this post and went back and reread the heading and original post and then I realized what you meant by tune...then I laughed. In today's world tune can mean so many things. No apologize needed, it was my bad for not reading correctly.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Goodstuff
Freshman User
Darn the 5 star link only shows 2005 and newer listed...contacted them so lets see what they say. I had a diagnostic done today and new plugs and a fuel system cleaning were recommended. Seams it Would it be better, and cheaper, to just change out the old fuel injectors myself...thoughts? I can see in the future doing some other things like headers etc but my main goal is to get my engine performing as good as I can stock and then go from there. Again I apologize for using the wrong term...I'm referring to more of the area of a tune up, as in general maintenance to make sure everything is running as it should.

It already has had the fuel pump and fuel filter replaced so aside from new plugs and a K&N air filter which I will do for sure...are there any recommendations for getting my engine running it's best stock? I won't be doing any heavy pulling on a regular basis(it will be a little bit before I get another boat) so I'm not planning on doing anything beyond a general maintenance or possibly a tuner at the moment. I know the v10 is a bit overkill for a regular 4x4 and hunting truck but it was a good deal and a hell of a truck for the money I had.

also I am curious to know what the preferred brands for things like plugs, plug wires, injectors etc are for other V10 2v owners.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:03 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Darn the 5 star link only shows 2005 and newer listed...contacted them so lets see what they say. I had a diagnostic done today and new plugs and a fuel system cleaning were recommended. Seams it Would it be better, and cheaper, to just change out the old fuel injectors myself...thoughts? I can see in the future doing some other things like headers etc but my main goal is to get my engine performing as good as I can stock and then go from there. Again I apologize for using the wrong term...I'm referring to more of the area of a tune up, as in general maintenance to make sure everything is running as it should.

It already has had the fuel pump and fuel filter replaced so aside from new plugs and a K&N air filter which I will do for sure...are there any recommendations for getting my engine running it's best stock? I won't be doing any heavy pulling on a regular basis(it will be a little bit before I get another boat) so I'm not planning on doing anything beyond a general maintenance or possibly a tuner at the moment. I know the v10 is a bit overkill for a regular 4x4 and hunting truck but it was a good deal and a hell of a truck for the money I had.

also I am curious to know what the preferred brands for things like plugs, plug wires, injectors etc are for other V10 2v owners.

I didn't drill down far enough with my first 5Star link, try this.... 1999-2004 Super Duty 6.8L Archives - 5 Star Tuning

Stick with Motorcraft parts where you can, especially for the COPs (Coil On Plug, you will only want to replace COPs when they fail, typically they last a looong time) and plugs, Denso is the OEM manufacturer for the spark plug boots
Amazon.com: Denso 671-0001 Coil Over Plug Boot: Automotive Amazon.com: Denso 671-0001 Coil Over Plug Boot: Automotive
You can clean your MAF sensor with MAF cleaner spray and if you see much oil in the hose from the PCV to the throttle body that valve is an easy change out as well.
Stick to the recommended oil and the Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter. I am NOT a big fan of K&N filters on street driven vehicles and as others here have found, a reusable filter and/or an aftermarket cold air intake will only make more noise, not power on a 6.8. These motors have a pretty good factory CAI and the OEM paper filters are able to outflow the motor at redline.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:15 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS

Stick with Motorcraft parts where you can, especially for the COPs (Coil On Plug, you will only want to replace COPs when they fail, typically they last a looong time) and plugs, Denso is the OEM manufacturer for the spark plug boots Amazon.com: Denso 671-0001 Coil Over Plug Boot: Automotive

Oh, hell yeah on OEM or Motorcraft parts as mentioned, especially the COP's. For new boots I like and use the NAPA #702418, about $5 each and readily available for same day pick up.

Also stick with the Ford/Motorcraft plugs and oil filters----I'm buying the FL820S's through Amazon by the dozen or Fleabay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201415307122?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
HTH

Old 04-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Goodstuff
Freshman User
great thanks...what about injectors? It was recommended at the dealership to get a fuel system cleaning but was curious if it would just be better to put in new injectors. The truck only has 56k miles on it but it's also 16 years old. I am going to soon do the plugs and air and fuel filters but was thinking if I should just go for it and do the injectors. If this was your truck what would you guys do?

Old 04-18-2016, 05:42 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
If it were me, I'd do all the other easy stuff, and see how it runs. Maybe throw a bottle of injector cleaner in it just to make sure.

My '01 is coming up on 16 years old, it's got less than 60K miles on it, and purrs like a kitten. I'm not touching those injectors until they fail or it starts to run like crap.

And when it comes time for that, it'll be all new injectors

But that's just me, I can't say how an injector cleaning service works, I've never had it done.

Quick Reply: to tune, or not to tune...that is the question