1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 F350 7.3l question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:08 PM
dustydogg31
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F350 7.3l question

Hello everyone, a few months ago I got my first powerstroke. I love it to death; however, I do not know very much about them so I am trying to learn.
My truck is giving me two issues and I would like to know if anyone more knowledgeable than myself had any ideas.

So the first issue is, if the vehicle is cold (regardless of temp outside) it takes forever to start it. It cranks and cranks and cranks and after a couple seconds of cranking I stop, wait a second, then try again. Usually it takes two sometimes three tries to start it. The guy who I bought it off of said it has newer glow plugs (last year I believe) and also I have replaced the batteries. Once its warmed up it does not do this at all.

Secondly and also something that just recently started happening, my water in fuel light keeps kicking in. I drained the water out of the water catcher reservoir under the truck multiple times (sorry for lack of proper terminology) and the first time water actually came out but every time after that simply diesel fuel comes out. I added a bottle of water remover to the fuel as well and ran it down to a quarter tank. Then filled the truck up completely, added two more bottles of water remover. The light still comes on. I noticed it only comes on when I am going up or down a fill. When im driving on flat ground it does not kick on.

Sorry for the paragraphs, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Projectlittleredf250
Senior User
Originally Posted by dustydogg31
Hello everyone, a few months ago I got my first powerstroke. I love it to death; however, I do not know very much about them so I am trying to learn.
My truck is giving me two issues and I would like to know if anyone more knowledgeable than myself had any ideas.

So the first issue is, if the vehicle is cold (regardless of temp outside) it takes forever to start it. It cranks and cranks and cranks and after a couple seconds of cranking I stop, wait a second, then try again. Usually it takes two sometimes three tries to start it. The guy who I bought it off of said it has newer glow plugs (last year I believe) and also I have replaced the batteries. Once its warmed up it does not do this at all.

Secondly and also something that just recently started happening, my water in fuel light keeps kicking in. I drained the water out of the water catcher reservoir under the truck multiple times (sorry for lack of proper terminology) and the first time water actually came out but every time after that simply diesel fuel comes out. I added a bottle of water remover to the fuel as well and ran it down to a quarter tank. Then filled the truck up completely, added two more bottles of water remover. The light still comes on. I noticed it only comes on when I am going up or down a fill. When im driving on flat ground it does not kick on.

Sorry for the paragraphs, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
It takes you awhile because one it probably has 15w40 oil in it which is like molasses in the cold, many people us 10w30 or i believe its 5w30. Plugging the truck in (block heat) keeps it warm to the oil flows better. My old 7.3 usually didnt like the cold under 20 degrees.

Im not sure about the water issue- possibly try a new fuel filter or possible sensor issue.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:38 PM
allagash350
Senior User
Could be the glow plug relay. Pretty common.
Not sure about water in fuel light

Old 04-13-2016, 01:08 PM
fordf2501
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 7.3 has a hpop or a high pressure oil pump at the front top of the engine and if it has a leak in one of the two pressure lines it will loose pressure requiring the truck to take a lot more effort to start. as it is what makes the injectors fire. a simple test for this would be to get a paper towel and place it under the hpop and see if it gets oil on it. to find the hpop once you open the hood it will be in the middle of the engine at the front between the heads near the fuel filter if it has the stock filter you may need to remove the small cover the covers the fuel filter to find it.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You should look through the 7.3 specific forum here on FTE. You'll find the the answers you're looking for.

Unless things have changed drastically and I never heard 10w-30 or any 30 weight oil is not what you are looking for, a fully synthetic 5w-40 or any 40 weight diesel oil is what you want. Clean good oil is very important to these motors, think full synthetic and be kind to your injectors/pump.

I would plug the truck in and see if that vastly improves the cold starting. If so. I'd look to the glow plug solenoid(a common failure point as previously pointed out).

Besides just draining off the water, change your fuel filter and clean out the bowl and have a look inside.