2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2015 F150 Premature Rust (less than 200 Miles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
If Henry Ford were alive he'd probably be positively pissed about this. Looks like they did a craptastic job on preping the steel for coating beforehand and this is the after math. Unfortunate thing is, once rust starts, it's impossible to stop it.

This is just shoddy craftsmanship and a huge lack of pride in ones work...especially in a highly expensive truck that rivals BMW and Mercedes in cost. But I wouldn't do anything hasty and jump to RAM or GM since Ford F150 is the highest in class for best protection in an accident where the RAM 1500 is poor at best.

I'd probably just keep the truck until the new ones drop later this year and trade in then.

I feel your pain man. The quality is no longer there and no one is taking pride in their work anymore and it always ends up on the buyer's lap.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:03 PM
rossterman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madscientist
And they should be in it for the money, they are a for-profit company and wouldn't last very long if they lost money on every truck. However, they should remember the lessons of the 80's when the American auto industry took a beating because they could not compete with Japanese and European quality standards.

Today's cars (across the industry) are far more reliable and have much better quality than 25 years ago. That's great for us consumers.

Ford needs to hear feedback about these problems.

The OP, who is a long-time Ford customer, has already stated he is disgusted and ready to switch brands.

Unfortunatley for most companies, its all about money. Probably would have cost ~$100 to spec all bare metal recieve a corrosion coating (paint or otherwise) but when you sell that many vehicles, that $100 multiplies into a very large number!

Dont forget this is the company that wouldnt put a $2 piece of plastic on the pintos to prevent people,getting burned up in rear end collisions- cheaper just to pay the famlies out of court for loss of their loved ones 😡

Its a shame really, look underneath a toyota and you will see the other end of the spectrum- everything painted or cad plated. To bad they didnt offer a "anti-corrosion package option you could specify when ordering where all this stuff was done right. Most folks would likely pay $500 more to get a truck that wont rust apart in a few years.....

Old 04-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by rossterman

Its a shame really, look underneath a toyota and you will see the other end of the spectrum- everything painted or cad plated.
Interesting. Tundra owners would argue otherwise. Apparently so would Toyota, they've even issued recalls for rust problems on the Tundra.

http://bfy.tw/5EOx

Old 04-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Aherold7
New User
Originally Posted by Frantz
I mean that's obviously the amount of rust you would expect to be normal on a truck with a few miles on it in the salty areas. You said 200 miles, is that from new, or just since you had it? The parts date stamps I see are Feb '15 so if it was on the lot since last march and moved around some salt and then just let there to sit, it's not impossible. It looks more like driven miles though, was it a demo unit?
The truck had 85 miles on it when I purchased it. The pics are from a few of days after I purchased it and put 210 miles on it. We purchased it at night and it was raining out. I lokked over the outside and interior but lying down in the water to look under the bottom of a brand new truck never occurred to me. Especially after all the research I had done before purchase about the aluminum bodies, the body to frame bonding process and the high strength steel frame which is supposedly dipped and electronically bonded with Fords "e coating" which advertised a providing maximum rust resistance. The pics I posted about e coating are literally from the F150 video display in the dealership.
Tone

Old 04-12-2016, 04:51 PM
MotorCityBolt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what's known as a Detroit patina...

Old 04-12-2016, 08:29 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Unacceptable for a new truck to have that much rust on the frame and other steel components. I'd be mad too if that was my truck.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:03 PM
rossterman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
Interesting. Tundra owners would argue otherwise. Apparently so would Toyota, they've even issued recalls for rust problems on the Tundra.

Let me google that for you
Those issues,were due to interior of box frame corroding out. They likely should have dipped the frames rather than just paint the outside. In either case, they replaced frames on a number of 10-15 year old trucks. Like ford would ever do that!mdnt get me wrong, i love my superduty but my 1998 toyota tacoma with 260k is probably better built!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:51 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm... 3 posts... joined in February... first post a big ol' biatch-fest... smells fishy to me...

Old 04-12-2016, 11:42 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rossterman
Those issues,were due to interior of box frame corroding out. They likely should have dipped the frames rather than just paint the outside. In either case, they replaced frames on a number of 10-15 year old trucks. Like ford would ever do that!mdnt get me wrong, i love my superduty but my 1998 toyota tacoma with 260k is probably better built!
If it was better built then why did Toyota issue a mass failure of a recall on those trucks for major frame rust issues that make them unbelievablely unsafe to drive...let alone lift them on a jack or car lift? I've seen old rusted Fords and Chevy's from the 1970s and the frames aren't even that bad. Only time they do is if they were used as a salt truck for a plowing company.

To say it's better built when they have a recall like that is just ignorant.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:18 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Looks fine.

Definitley better than any superduty frame. Neither my 2005 or my 2006 F250s had black frames within a couple months of ownership. And that's Colorado.

Josh

Old 04-13-2016, 07:07 AM
toddh1971
New User
Mine is looking the same. I am wondering id Ford isn't going to have a massive recall on their hands.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:47 AM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
HEY! The good news is the trucks crash good! Only top rated truck on the market.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:12 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is looking the same. I am wondering id Ford isn't going to have a massive recall on their hands.
That "H" doesn't' happen to stand for "Herold" does it?

Old 04-13-2016, 02:34 PM
toddh1971
New User
Originally Posted by Frantz
That "H" doesn't' happen to stand for "Herold" does it?
No it does not.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:18 PM
MotorCityBolt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
If it was better built then why did Toyota issue a mass failure of a recall on those trucks for major frame rust issues that make them unbelievablely unsafe to drive...let alone lift them on a jack or car lift? I've seen old rusted Fords and Chevy's from the 1970s and the frames aren't even that bad. Only time they do is if they were used as a salt truck for a plowing company.

To say it's better built when they have a recall like that is just ignorant.
A coworker of mine had the year where they would just scrap it and his frame was fully perforated in a few areas. Toyota wrote him a check for $14k for a truck that had just under 200k miles. He went right back and bought a new one for, essentially 50% off.

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 Premature Rust (less than 200 Miles)