1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Some quick advice needed on buying an old F100?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 12:30 PM
funfunstuie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some quick advice needed on buying an old F100?

Hey All,

I have been lurking on here for a long time but I only realised I hadn't actually registered when I went to post this question.

Bit of background - I have been wanting to get an F100 for a long time. There is something about this truck that just appeals to me and I want to have one as my work/fun/trundle about in vehicle (also only having front seats mean I get some peace from the kids ) Up to a couple of weeks ago I owned and drove a Ford Sport Trac as my daily driver but I got a random offer for it which I couldn't refuse (I got all my money back that I paid even after 20k miles I put on the truck). Since then I have been looking to get a replacement SUV for family trips and as my daily. This search has not been going well (seller's reneging on deals, carfax reports with drastically differing mileage) so I gave up and started looking for a truck.

I am from Ireland but I have lived in the US for 2 years now and in that time I have been searching Craigslist for the right truck - around here they are either really high priced or beaters that require too much work for me to take on. Today I found one. It's 3 hours drive away but I called the owner and seems genuine and the truck looks great in photos.

It's a 1972 F100 - 360 V8 2BBL - 88k

He's gone over everything. It looks really clean. No rust (it's a CA truck), no major body issues. Interior is a bit worn but I am fine with that. He's recently replaced the gas tank, brakes, windshield, battery. It's got power brakes and power steering and both work.

Seeing as this is a long drive I want to make it worth my time (and his) so what should I look for that would be a deal killer? I am not looking for a show truck (in fact almost the opposite - I will use this truck for hauling crap in the bed) so paint work is not a problem but should I bring a magnet to check for rust? Is it worth running a carfax on such an old truck? I will obviously take it for a test drive.

Also I spoke to the owner about driving it home (150 miles) and he said it would be fine it's ready to go but you would just have to take it easy.

I am going to see it tomorrow so any advice would be good.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:38 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Aint gonna be a carfax report on these old rigs.

Buy the best truck within your budget.
Be willing to walk away.
Verify VINs match the paperwork.
Be skeptical of the seller's claims. Verify or at least make an informed evaluation. Knowledge is power.

Read and heed: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15371152

Old 04-11-2016, 01:07 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Your first hundred yards should tell you. After inspecting for rust, take on a joy ride. Get on it then hit breaks. If acceleration is good and breaks are good, you might have a winner. Magnet is fine if you know how to use it.
Price depends on, if you want to pay that much. good luck.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:23 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Check the cab mounts for rust. Make sure mileage is 88,000 and not 188 or 288,000

Old 04-11-2016, 01:26 PM
funfunstuie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Aint gonna be a carfax report on these old rigs.

Buy the best truck within your budget.
Be willing to walk away.
Verify VINs match the paperwork.
Be skeptical of the seller's claims. Verify or at least make an informed evaluation. Knowledge is power.

Read and heed: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15371152

Thanks, that a good read.

Originally Posted by gangstakr
Your first hundred yards should tell you. After inspecting for rust, take on a joy ride. Get on it then hit breaks. If acceleration is good and breaks are good, you might have a winner. Magnet is fine if you know how to use it.
Price depends on, if you want to pay that much. good luck.
in all honesty I wouldn't know how to use a magnet.

The main red flag for me is the price - it's at $4500 which is right in the middle of prices I have seen. Prices in the bay area are all over the place. I have seen really good looking drivable trucks go for $2k, I have seen really crappy looking trucks with horrible interiors listed for $6k and then I have seen trucks which from the pics and description need no work (but are not show quality) listed at $10k+.

I am hoping as this one is quite a way out, that's the reason for his pricing and it's not hiding issues.

Right now it's a price I am OK with but it also gives me some budget to work on issues.

Having said all that I am more than willing to walk away. I am not over excited and I have been burned before (here in the US and in the UK when I lived there). It's unfortunate but I never believe seller's now.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

A few things to keep in mind in addition to everything that has already been said:

1) These old trucks require a fair bit of nursing/tinkering to keep on the road. You should be either willing and able to do your own repairs or able to pay someone else to.

2) With @ $3,000 you should be able to buy a decent truck (little rust, decent paint, good brakes and engine) that you can immediately put on the road with little or no work.

3) Be willing to wait for such a truck. As you have seen, the condition and asking price of old trucks are all over the place out there. Some guys think their old beaters are worth 10K while, if you get lucky, you can pick up a real gem for a song. Take your time and good luck!

C

Old 04-11-2016, 05:51 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If you find a truck that's in reasonable shape for the money being asked for it, offer less. The worst they can say is no. However, sellers will almost always take less than their asking price --most especially if you go there with cash in hand.

Any less than the original sale price you get to keep is just extra money in your pocket that you're likely going to need for engine tune up parts, brake work, etc., towards getting the truck in decent running and stopping shape.

I offered $500.00 less for my truck than the seller was asking for it and I had the full $3,000.00 cash on me to buy it for the original price he was asking. Must have worked 'cause he sold it to me.

Unless their ad plainly states the price is firm, it's probably not.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 PM
funfunstuie
Freshman User
Thanks for all the advice people. I probably won't be going to see this one. The seller called me back and has arranged another viewing for first thing in the morning. I offered to go this evening or ever earlier in the morning but they want to give these guys a chance as they are taking time off work or something (me too!).

I just keep missing out on good looking trucks of any make/model!

Old 04-11-2016, 08:00 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
The market is tough. Gotta be on it like a fly on ****.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 PM
funfunstuie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
The market is tough. Gotta be on it like a fly on ****.
Yeah but I didn't even get the chance with this one. I gave the seller options to suit them and they didn't reciprocate.

Anyway onwards. I am having to rent a car at the moment and it's costing me a small fortune!!

Old 04-14-2016, 02:51 PM
funfunstuie
Freshman User
So I missed out on the one I wanted the other day.

But I drove out to see this one: https://stockton.craigslist.org/snw/5520641648.html

and I am interested but it's got issues. It fires up first time and idles fine. The body is "worn" but I am fine with that.

Main issue I had was play in the steering wheel. on the drive it tracked pretty straight and was pretty easy to steer but there was a decent amount of play.

Another issue I has was it was missing some trim - wiper **** is gone, door panel is held on with machine screws - it might have been wood screws, it's missing the headliner. There is a weird hole cut out of the pillar behind the driver - I reckon someone tried to install a speaker in the pillar and gave up.

Most of these seem like cheap fixes - *****, door panels, head liners. It's got no rust and no engine issues.

How worried would you be about steering play?

The seller got it in a trade or something so he's not really into old trucks and I can tell. He's used it (and it's been abused - the bed has spray in bedliner that looks like it was done by a blind person with DT's).

Old 04-15-2016, 02:17 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The play may be just a worn out "rag joint" on the steering colum. Or it could be some worn out front end parts. Check the rag joint first.(you'll see it on the steering shaft, in the engine compartment). It is about the dia of a doughnut and looks like it was made from the sidewall of a tire. Have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch the "rag joint".-done by a blind person with DT's- good one! at least he didn't use a push broom.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:05 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Steering play is common. I've dealt with it for years on my truck. Mine due to a worn out steering box. I'll be replacing that soon.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:46 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This one might have potential but don't get discouraged. There are plenty of them out there. Bummer about the rental but be diligent and you'll find a truck you like in short order. The more you look at and drive, the better you will be able to gauge a good one. A few ***** and switches certainly wouldn't scare me off. After driving a few you may learn that they all drive like that...

Good luck with your search.