Inline 300 with Flowmaster 40 Too Quiet - How to make louder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 05:34 PM
jmb2011
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Inline 300 with Flowmaster 40 Too Quiet - How to make louder?

So I have a stock Inline 300 in my 1984 f-150, and i had a new flowmaster 40 from a previous project sitting in a box around the house, and i took it to a exhaust shop to get it installed on my 300.

To my surprise, the flowmaster is quieter than the stock muffler, a deeper tone, but more quiet. The stock muffler did have a hole next to the inlet, so i figured that's why it was louder, but how do i make it louder with a flowmaster?

I know that it's not a v8, and won't sound like one, but i just want it louder. At the moment, i want to keep the sock manifold, because it would be pretty costly to throw headers and another exhaust line out the back to run duals.

Would doing a cat delete help with the loud factor? My '84 f150 has 2 cats on it, so could removing them help make it louder? Although, all the exhaust shops get scared when you mention cat deletes, even though my truck is emission exempt...

ideas?

Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I wouldn't remove the cats until there is a problem with them. And then I would pull the two stock ones and install a single aftermarket hi-flow cat. Just because your truck may be emission exempt in your area doesn't mean you shouldn't run a cat. But yes the stock cats do muffle the exhaust some. I've been told by a few people they don't. But from my own personal experience, they do.

If you want it louder just install a straight pipe where the muffler was. But leave the cats on it.

If it's too loud with no muffler put a short glass pack on it.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:13 PM
jmb2011
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordman75
I wouldn't remove the cats until there is a problem with them. And then I would pull the two stock ones and install a single aftermarket hi-flow cat. Just because your truck may be emission exempt in your area doesn't mean you shouldn't run a cat. But yes the stock cats do muffle the exhaust some. I've been told by a few people they don't. But from my own personal experience, they do.

If you want it louder just install a straight pipe where the muffler was. But leave the cats on it.

If it's too loud with no muffler put a short glass pack on it.
well it is too late to do a straight pipe, i guess i wasn't clear, i paid to have the flowmaster welded on today. Do you think a high flow cat would make it louder any?

also, why not run it without cats? i mean, besides all the emission mumbo jumbo, is their any mechanical reason not to?

Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM
seattle smitty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why make it louder if the engine is stock? You'll sound like a guy pretending to be a hot-rodder without having DONE any hot-rodding. Kind of like all the Microsoftware geeks with clean fingernails who bought Chrysler Prowlers a few years ago, pretending they were car guys (most of the Prowlers today seem to be owned by little secretaries and dentists' wives).

Taking the cats off an exhaust system for a stock or near-stock engine won't gain you a thing (well, maybe more noise) and just puts more crud in the air. If you were going completely through your engine and systems to make it more fuel efficient, that might be an excuse for eliminating the cats (and even then there are good high-flow cats available). Or if you were racing. My two cents: doing nothing to the vehicle other than make it loud is like playing air-guitar.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What Smitty said X2.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:33 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by seattle smitty
Why make it louder if the engine is stock? You'll sound like a guy pretending to be a hot-rodder without having DONE any hot-rodding. Kind of like all the Microsoftware geeks with clean fingernails who bought Chrysler Prowlers a few years ago, pretending they were car guys (most of the Prowlers today seem to be owned by little secretaries and dentists' wives).

Taking the cats off an exhaust system for a stock or near-stock engine won't gain you a thing (well, maybe more noise) and just puts more crud in the air. If you were going completely through your engine and systems to make it more fuel efficient, that might be an excuse for eliminating the cats (and even then there are good high-flow cats available). Or if you were racing. My two cents: doing nothing to the vehicle other than make it loud is like playing air-guitar.
We need a "Like" button.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 AM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
Maybe you could try one of those riceburner exhausts that make a stock Honda Civic louder than a straight-pipe Harley? And some of the poked wire wheels wheels with the huge spoked centers ... and maybe a lot of LED under-chassis lighting.

yeah, that's sarcasm... 100% agree with abandonedbronco, smiitty, harte3.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:05 PM
seattle smitty
Senior User
JMB, I made the mistake, when I was very young, of putting Thrush glass-pack mufflers (loud!) on my car, mostly because they were the cheapest mufflers you could buy. Boy, I regretted that every night that I delivered my girlfriend back to her parents' house far too late in the evening. Probably got her whole neighborhood hacked-off at me. Quiet is mostly better.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:24 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jmb2011
well it is too late to do a straight pipe, i guess i wasn't clear, i paid to have the flowmaster welded on today. Do you think a high flow cat would make it louder any?

also, why not run it without cats? i mean, besides all the emission mumbo jumbo, is their any mechanical reason not to?

What difference is there having to cut the muffler back off and weld in a piece of pipe or cutting out the cats and welding in a piece of pipe? If you want it louder dump the muffler.

Well let's see. First off it's illegal, second there is nothing to be gained by removing them. I'm not all that familiar with your computer system in your truck anymore. I always tossed it in favor of the older non feedback carb system. But removing the cats could effect how it runs.

Originally Posted by seattle smitty

Come on guys give him a break. The exhaust sound is just one of those personal preferences. Some people like louder exhaust. It's no different then then preferring a certain paint/interior color or wheel type/size, etc. You don't need a top fuel dragster to run a loud exhaust. Different people liking different things is what makes this hobby great. If everybody liked the same thing it would get real boring real fast!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:39 PM
jmb2011
Freshman User
First of all, I wasn't trying to make it a ricer, second of all I have done plenty to this truck besides just slap on an exhaust, and im not some wannabe hot rodder. Plus too, why would I want to become a hot rodder if they like to harass someone for asking a question. Opinions I'm open to, but if I wanted to get called a fake "car guy", i would have not asked in the first place.

Nice to know if I'm in search for help, this apparently isn't the best place to look...

@fordman75
Thanks for the info, although my truck is a carb and not fuel injected so I don't see how performance would be affected at all.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:36 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jmb2011

@fordman75
Thanks for the info, although my truck is a carb and not fuel injected so I don't see how performance would be affected at all.
I know it's a carb. EFI 300's didn't show up until 87. But stock they came with a computer controlled carb, known as a feed back carb. The computer controlled the carb fuel mixture and also controlled the ignition advance timing. It's been many years since I owned one with a feedback carb set up. So I don't remember if it had an O2 sensor after either cat. If it did then removing the cats could effect how it runs. But I have no idea if yours still has the stock carb and distributor.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:08 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The O2 sensor is mounted in the exhaust manifold, upstream of both catalytic convertors. There is no O2 sensor after the convertors.

jmb2011, there probably is no way to make the present muffler any louder. Why not just drive it as is for a while and then change the muffler. See if someone in your area would be interested in buying yours?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:29 AM
seattle smitty
Senior User
(trying to delete a double-post) (This site has the quirkiest EDIT function I've seen in a while)

Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 AM
seattle smitty
Senior User
Nobody abused you, JMB. Since we don't know you, we can only go by what you put in your post, and make reasonable assumptions based on your words.

You asked whether removing the cats would make the exhaust louder. That's sort of a "Duh!" question for a car guy. You mention you have talked to exhaust shops about it. Any real rodder does all his own exhaust work. You said your engine was stock. I expressed my opinion, seconded by others here, that making a stocker loud would make you seem like the fake car-guys. I didn't say YOU were a fake car-guy because I guessed that since you were here, maybe you have some ambition to be (or already are to some extent) a hands-on type like all the regulars here.

Hang around, JMB. We'll get to know you better and can give better answers. If you don't like the opinion about loud stockers, or whatever else, push back!

I'm an old man. We grew up with a "rougher" and less politically correct tradition in which guys (especially blue-collar guys) disagreed with, needled, kidded, bashed, provoked, and even mildly insulted each other, and then went off together for a beer. To us it seems that younger generations are way too sensitive and to ready to take offense when no real offense was intended, . . . but that's just another way of seeing things, another way of being raised. We'll learn from each other, and get along fine.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What Smitty said again X2.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...und-clips.html Exhaust noise even has it's own thread!

Quick Reply: Inline 300 with Flowmaster 40 Too Quiet - How to make louder?