2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2010 expy rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:47 AM
lakesidebluexpy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 expy rear spoiler

So my '97 moonlight blue eb gave us great reliable service for over 100k miles. We modded it to suit our needs and for a more unique appearance. Among the things we did was add a ford rear air spoiler to the hatch. Unique look that you don't often see.

Recently we sold the '97 and picked up a 2010 Royal red eb expy. I would like to add a ford spoiler to the hatch. Ford offers none (that I know of) for the second gen expy/gators. So may have to adapt an older 1st gen ford part.

Anyone done this? Or know of a reason why it might not work? Comments/ideas appreciated and welcomed. I have some concern about the (now) aluminum rear hatch.

Thanks in advance.......lakeside

Old 04-08-2016, 01:17 PM
k9education
Senior User
There's an aftermarket spoiler.

p.s. I hope that '97 ran for a total of a lot more than 100K in total.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:00 AM
lakesidebluexpy
Junior User
Yes, the blu expy was sold to a young family and it now resides in Texas where it is either approaching or has gone over 200k miles.

Thanks for reminding me of the carid unit. It is more like a lip spoiler in that air does not flow under it. The 1st gen ford part, on the other hand, stood off the hatch approximately 1 inch on 3 pedestal type legs. This allowed airflow off the roof and down across the back glass. I always thought it tended to keep the hatch glass somewhat cleaner (clear of dirt and road grime) than those 1st gens without. Hence my interest in adding one to my current expy.

Lakeside

Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 AM
svfetter
Junior User
I am interested in this as well. I am wondering if this piece is a recent offering. I purchased my 2011 Expedition in 2012 and looked on line for this type of part and could not find anything like this. My concerns would be about the overall quality of the piece and paint when you have them paint it. I love the way it looks on the back of the truck.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:53 PM
lakesidebluexpy
Junior User
The actual ford expy spoiler is not recent. First offered in '97, my belief is it was a dealer/customer installed part. You could find it in the ford aftermarket catalogs. Navs had one also. I believe these spoilers continued to be offered into the second gen., then they disappeared and have not been replaced. These spoilers are uncommon......I have only seen 2 others, both installed on first gens. As mentioned, I had one painted and installed on my '97 eb.

Ford part number is stamped into these things. They are beefy and install with screws through the hatch(no double sided tape will do!)

If you are patient, they do infrequently show up on eBay. Used, these usually don't have the template and mounting hardware which came when new.

Lakeside

Old 04-11-2016, 02:37 PM
svfetter
Junior User
Originally Posted by lakesidebluexpy
The actual ford expy spoiler is not recent. First offered in '97, my belief is it was a dealer/customer installed part. You could find it in the ford aftermarket catalogs. Navs had one also. I believe these spoilers continued to be offered into the second gen., then they disappeared and have not been replaced. These spoilers are uncommon......I have only seen 2 others, both installed on first gens. As mentioned, I had one painted and installed on my '97 eb.

Ford part number is stamped into these things. They are beefy and install with screws through the hatch(no double sided tape will do!)

If you are patient, they do infrequently show up on eBay. Used, these usually don't have the template and mounting hardware which came when new.

Lakeside
No rear spoilers were listed in any of the Ford Accessories that I ever saw in the catalogs when my 2011 was new. Not saying you are not correct. Just saying I never saw any. And I searched quite extensively when I got my 2011 and never saw this part. And I have been quite familiar with the Carid site over the years. I believe I am going to get one of those. Really like the style.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:38 AM
k9education
Senior User
I see this one on eBay/Carid as well.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:05 PM
lakesidebluexpy
Junior User
Svfetter......yes, by 2010, 2011 these ford spoilers were long gone. You certainly would not have been able to find one listed in a ford accessory catalog by then. In fact I believe they may have disappeared around 2006 or 7.

But we have badly digressed and so back to the question- any reason why one could not or should not install one of these 1st gen rear spoilers on a 2010

The basic install drill would involve taking down the inside hatch trim at the top of the hatch, center the spoiler on the outside like you want it, mark and drill mounting holes through the hatch, screw fasteners from the inside up into the threaded portions of each of the 3 mounting pedestals, re-install the inside trim.
Of course, appropriate gaskets, washers etc, etc would be used.

One concern I have (and don't know if it is justified) is could I possibly torque or cause a deflection in the aluminum hatch?

Thanks......lakeside

Old 04-29-2016, 09:07 PM
svfetter
Junior User
Originally Posted by k9education
There's an aftermarket spoiler.

p.s. I hope that '97 ran for a total of a lot more than 100K in total.
Follow up to ordering this product. I am very happy with ordering this product. If you like this style of spoiler I would recommend it.

Overall item quality is good and prepaint quality is very good. On painted item the installation tape is already installed.

Very reasonable price for prepainted product.