Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Real oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:44 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Real oil pressure gauge

I have installed a real oil pressure gauge on several trucks and I have been considering installing a real gauge on my 2015 F150.

Let me know what you think.

The only concern I have is how much information does the computer obtain from the OEM sensor and how an extra hose to the aftermarket

pressure sensor would effect the computer.

I would hate to set off a trouble code.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
The factory "sensor" is nothing but a pressure switch. Over 5 PSI(IIRC) the switch closes and the low pressure light/gauge shows normal.

I don't really understand the benefit of a pressure gauge, but if done properly it shouldn't affect the computer any. Of course you'll be on the hook for a >$10,000 engine replacement if your plumbing or hardware fails and leaks out all your oil and you're not paying attention to the gauge.

There is ZERO chance I'd be doing this to a brand new truck. Chance of failure may be very low, but the odds of you being on the hook for an oil-related failure unmodified are virtually nonexistant unless you neglect your truck.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:12 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, I always like a real oil pressure gauge...until I read what Tom said!!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm quite confident in my plumbing skills, especially since I'd probably use an electric gauge and that means there'd be no tube. Remove the existing sender, install a tee, and then re-install the original sender and install the new one. The computer would never know since the pressure would trip the switch just like before.

But, I don't see the need for an oil pressure gauge - at least while the truck is under warranty.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:09 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I'm quite confident in my plumbing skills, especially since I'd probably use an electric gauge and that means there'd be no tube. Remove the existing sender, install a tee, and then re-install the original sender and install the new one. The computer would never know since the pressure would trip the switch just like before.

But, I don't see the need for an oil pressure gauge - at least while the truck is under warranty.
I would like to know if I'm driving 75mph and my oil pressure is only 6psi. But then I guess who cares till you are getting close to being out of warranty. And need to know how close your engine is to being worn out before you pass the magic number..

Old 04-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by rmccbride
I would like to know if I'm driving 75mph and my oil pressure is only 6psi. But then I guess who cares till you are getting close to being out of warranty. And need to know how close your engine is to being worn out before you pass the magic number..
Don't get me wrong...I really wish there was a real factory gauge. One of the things I liked the best about the Ram I test drove was a real digital gauge for coolant temp, oil temp, and oil pressure.

But at the end of the day I don't think it's worth the hassle to get. I've never heard of anyone saving an engine because of an oil pressure gauge. Most of the time low pressure is caused by worn bearings anyway, and that's almost impossible to happen during the factory warranty period.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:00 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Don't get me wrong...I really wish there was a real factory gauge. One of the things I liked the best about the Ram I test drove was a real digital gauge for coolant temp, oil temp, and oil pressure.

But at the end of the day I don't think it's worth the hassle to get. I've never heard of anyone saving an engine because of an oil pressure gauge. Most of the time low pressure is caused by worn bearings anyway, and that's almost impossible to happen during the factory warranty period.

If I had my choice between a on/off fake oil pressure gage and a nice big red no oil pressure light I would pick the light. But would prefer a real gage and a light.

Ford did use real electrical gages back in the old days,, but people were complaining that the gage dropped at idle.. So the fix was to install the on off pressure switch and a resistor so the gage showed halfway or 0. That than became what we have now.