1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballpark costs for 6.7 diesel maintenance vs 6.2 gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:55 PM
pckeen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ballpark costs for 6.7 diesel maintenance vs 6.2 gas

We are looking at buying a new superduty, probably an F250, maybe an F350. We are pulling a 36' travel trailer with a F150 right now, but are at the top of our weight capacity, so want to upgrade.

So what are the differences in costs for routine maintenance on the 6.7 powerstroke, vs. the 6.2 gas engine?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:42 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Maintenance costs will be more than double. 7 quarts of oil vs 15 quarts. There is no serviceable fuel filter on the 6.2 either. The 6.7 probably has 2 filters that need to be changed every second oil change.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:23 PM
auburngrad
Senior User
I don't know exact numbers. But I know the break even is way out, once you factor that it's 9k just for the new truck. Then normally diesel is normally more expensive. While you'll see better mileage, it takes a lot of mpg to get past the rest of the costs.

I personally love mine. I have a 250 6.2, and couldn't be happier. Don't pull anything as big as you yet, but it is more than capable.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:11 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I worked with a guy that bought the new 6.7 at the same time I bought my new 6.2 gas. He told me that every other oil change, the dealer charges him $500 on his diesel service. I can buy a crapload of unleaded gas with $500. Not to mention the 9K upcharge to buy the engine option.

If you pulled heavy all the time, I mean every single mile, then maybe the diesel would make sense costs wise. And that's a "maybe" you could recoup the higher cost and fees before you wore the truck out and had to start all over again new.

I don't pull heavy all the time, so no way was it worth it to me. Different users have different needs I guess.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:33 AM
rays250
Freshman User
I have a 2016 6.2 My brother has a 2015 6.7 we both have identical 33ft travel trailers we took a road trip about 220 miles towing our rv's which roughly weigh about 8600lbs when we arrived my MPG was 8.2 his was 11.8 to me the cost for the 6.7 is not worth it. As stated before I can buy a lot of fuel with 9k. Im happy as can be with my 6.2. The torque and power with a 6.7 is no comparasion to my 6.2, but I dont drag race or plan on towing anything over 13lbs. I may be getting a 5th wheel next yr & I will still be good. Save the 9k and go with the 6.2, Its a great motor and maintnance cost will be just like your current F150. I do the service myself and cost about $30 every 5k miles.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:41 AM
Duwop
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Service for my 15 F250 6.2 at the dealer cost 39.95 +tax, Ford has a coupon for $10 off works oil change + tire rotation that will get credited to owner service account for future repairs.
I have no idea of cost for diesel service but diesel fuel is currently .05 cents higher per gal. in my area. The dealer was pushing the diesels when I was shopping but I had no use for it and the $8800.00 up charge for Diesel engine was a bad deal for me. I can see where some need the diesel for work or RV towing but I think it would take a lot of tow and use to justify the differences.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:50 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm going to clear the air a bit on the 6.7L.

First, oil capacity is 13 quarts, not 15. My oil changes typically take about 12 quarts (can't get all of it out you know). Oil changes have been right at about 8,000 mile intervals.

DEF is cheap. I'm refilling about every 7,000 miles for around $15.

Fuel filters are changed every 22,500 miles. The service intervals for the 6.7L fuel filters increased over the earlier Powerstrokes. However there's two of them to change now, so it's pretty much a wash compared to the older 7.3L/6.0L/6.4L.

Coolant has to be checked regularly, about every 12,500 - 15,000 miles. It's a simple test that dealers can do cheap, or buy a box of multiple test kits that will last a long time for about $60.

Fuel economy.... I've had my truck for just over a year and a little over 20,000 miles. This is what I'm getting so far....

Summer: 18-19 highway, 16 city, 11-14 towing (depending on trailer/weight)
Winter: 17 highway, 15 city, 11-12 towing (depending on trailer/weight)

My wife and I looked at getting the 6.2L before we purchased the current truck. Towing was a big deal since the truck sees a trailer behind it quite a bit. However, we did crunch some numbers first prior to making up our minds. My parents have a 6.2L and gave us comparable information in terms of maintenance costs and fuel economy. They top out at around 12 on the highway, 10-11 around town, and 8 towing.

What we found is based on our own usage, the diesel came out ahead due to the fuel economy. That's what made up our minds. Fuel is relatively cheap right now, so it takes longer to recoup the difference. However, we plan to keep the truck for a long time (kept the old one for 12 years). The diesel option, and subsequent estimated resale value of diesel vs gas definitely came into play.

The fun part is that what I calculated for maintenance and fuel costs on the 6.7L has actually come out to be more than what I'm really paying. Basically I over-estimated how much it would cost to own a 6.7L, so I'm coming out further ahead than I planned. I also had diesel fuel in my calculations priced higher (at that time) than gas. Right now they are the same price in my area and have been for quite some time.

Not everyone has the same use from these trucks, and/or plan to keep the truck for a longer period of time. If you don't tow, or tow light, don't plan to keep the truck long, etc.... a 6.2L is going to be the better option in terms of ownership costs. If you keep the truck longer, do more towing, etc, then at a certain point the 6.7L actually becomes cheaper to own. Everyone is different, and has different needs.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-06-2016, 06:52 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
I worked with a guy that bought the new 6.7 at the same time I bought my new 6.2 gas. He told me that every other oil change, the dealer charges him $500 on his diesel service. I can buy a crapload of unleaded gas with $500.
There is absolutely no reason for that. The dealer is basically up-selling him additional work, snake oil, etc.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 AM
TallEddie1981
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know the weights on your trailer, but I have a 36ft travel trailer that weighs in at 8500 lb loaded. I was originally towing it with an F150, and pretty much maxed out on all the weights. Last year I upgraded to an F250 with the 6.2 I have been extremely happy with it. For me a diesel would have been nice to have, but not a necessity.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:53 AM
rays250
Freshman User
if you can afford a 6.7 then by all means get one you cant compare the power. I was at my limit when I bought mine my budget was 50k and I was out the door at 52,800 with my 6.2 but again it serves my purpose and then some. My trailer weighs 8300lbs and my boat is a little over 10lbs and it tows them just fine.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 AM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What would help though is a model or weight on the trailer being pulled. Dimensions play probably a bigger factor in a lot of cases as well than weight even.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 AM
onkel udo
Junior User
Originally Posted by airm4n
What would help though is a model or weight on the trailer being pulled. Dimensions play probably a bigger factor in a lot of cases as well than weight even.
He did mention it was a 36' travel trailer and certain assumptions can be made from that (probably 8' wide and dry weight a little north of 8K).

Not sure how dimensions would be bigger factor when the only difference is the engine. Frontal area is a factor of course but Do not think you could create a highway legal frontal area that would challenge either engine. The chassis is identical so all other dynamic properties remain the same.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 AM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Another thing to consider is the gearing of each truck. A diesel with numerically low gearing will get better mpg, but sacrifice power to the ground. A gas job with numerically higher gears (4.30) can get better power to ground but sacrifice mpg. I flat tow my jeep which is 4500lbs regularly through the state of Vermont which has long drawn out hills and steep hills. I can start a good size hill at say 65 and by the top be at 75. I have never felt underpowered. Yes this isnt the 8K lbs camper you guys tow but it goes to show the gas job can tow

Old 04-06-2016, 10:26 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by pckeen
We are looking at buying a new superduty, probably an F250, maybe an F350. We are pulling a 36' travel trailer with a F150 right now, but are at the top of our weight capacity, so want to upgrade.

So what are the differences in costs for routine maintenance on the 6.7 powerstroke, vs. the 6.2 gas engine?
Pocket stated it very well, I think. A couple points:
1. a comparably equipped diesel is going to have less cargo capacity. This can become important if you think you might move to a 5er.
2. the diesel generates a lot more torque than the gasser. The diesel will move the load with much less fuss. Going up hills requires higher rpm's on the gasser. If high rpm's bother you, think about the diesel.

Looking back at the 5.4L 3 valve, the V10, and the 6.0 with all the troubles those engines had, the 6.2 and 6.7 are remarkably reliable engines. You won't go wrong with either one.
The dealer prices on new trucks is so high these days (and they aren't getting any lower!) that $8,000.00 translates to just over $100.00 a month in payments, so I wouldn't let that scare me away from what I really want.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:17 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
He told me that every other oil change, the dealer charges him $500 on his diesel service.
You'd have to cut my arms off then hit me in the head with a hammer to get me to pay $500 for basic maintenance; he apparently is fine with excessively overpaying and can't be bothered to make a call to another dealer to check if that's stupidly expensive, or watch a YouTube video and change the oil hisowndamnself. For $500 shot I would learn to do just about anything.

Quick Reply: Ballpark costs for 6.7 diesel maintenance vs 6.2 gas