1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballpark costs for 6.7 diesel maintenance vs 6.2 gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Just a rough example:

In the year I've had my truck the wife and I put 20,000 miles on it. With those miles, let's compare gas vs diesel fuel costs alone. We'll say that for giggles, both gas and diesel are $2 a gallon (which is about what they are right now in my area). Ok, let's also say that we'll get a total mix of fuel economy... highway, city, and towing. With that the gasser will average out to around 10mpg's, the diesel around 15 mpg's. This is my overall fuel economy vs my parent's 6.2L overall fuel economy. Yours and others may differ, but again it's just a rough example.

So over a course of 1 year and 20,000 miles, here's the breakdown of fuel costs:

Diesel
20,000 miles / 15 mpg = 1,333 gallons of fuel
1,333 gallons x $2 a gallon = $2,666 dollars in fuel costs in 1 year

Gas
20,000 miles / 10 mpg = 2,000 gallons of fuel
2,000 gallons x $2 a gallon = $4,000 dollars in fuel costs in 1 year

The diesel is $1,334 cheaper in fuel costs alone in 1 year.

Now let's think about that... diesel maintenance is not $1,334 more expensive than a gas engine in 1 year. Let's say based on my mileage, another $300 more in oil, another $100 in fuel filters, another $50 in DEF, and another $50 in coolant check. All of those figures I'm shooting a bit on the high side for margin of error. Still after all the maintenance factors included, you're still $834 ahead for the year. If I own the truck for 10 years (which I plan to do), I will have paid for the diesel option upgrade just in fuel cost savings alone.

Now if I turn around and sell the truck in 10 years, I still have the diesel premium resale value. So in the end I come out ahead by owning a 6.7L.

Keep in mind this is based on the time I plan to own the truck, what I use the truck for, and how many miles I put on it each year. If a person plans to own their truck for a lesser amount of time, fewer miles, less towing, etc, then it becomes more difficult to recoup the costs.

This isn't a 1 size fits all calculation. You have to know how the truck is going to be driven. However, this is what I did prior to buying in order to help me make my decision between a 6.2L and a 6.7L.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Well if your parents only getting that then they have a heavy foot. But saying the 6.2L gets 10mpg you are way off. And people saying they are getting 20 plus mpg out of a STOCK 6.7 is full of crap. 15-17 I can see. Hell even if deleted they might get 20. But it will take longer than 10 years if you have the same driver and the exact same truck in the 6.2 and 6.7L.

If you do heavy towing 15k plus pounds then it's a no brainier diesel is the way to go hence why I have one. But if you don't and don't want to spend a lot of money on maintenance and probably repair bills then a gas engine is the way to go. Your info is way off cause you're only comparing one truck. I'm not going just off my trucks but I read a lot of post in the 6.2l and 6.7l sections on this site, Facebook truck groups, friends, etc so roughly a 6.2L will avg 14-16mpg and a STOCK 6.7L will get 15-17. So off those numbers recalculate and tell me how many years it would take for the diesel option to pay for itself.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:33 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Strokin-A-2010
Well if your parents only getting that then they have a heavy foot. But saying the 6.2L gets 10mpg you are way off.
That's not what other owners are saying. Scroll down to the 6.2L section and there's a huge MPG thread. Quite a few posts of mostly empty highway driving getting nowhere close to that 18-19 mpg claim. In fact, not many at all reporting above 15. There's a few sporatic ones claiming that 18 mpg range, but that doesn't seem to correlate with the vast majority of the thread.

So no, I'm not off by any means, and my parents are old and drive slow, so no heavy foot either. They do tow very often, so 10 MPG's overall is very realistic for anyone to reach with similar driving conditions, especially when towing economy drops to around 7-8 MPG's with a fifth wheel attached.

And people saying they are getting 20 plus mpg out of a STOCK 6.7 is full of crap. 15-17 I can see. Hell even if deleted they might get 20. But it will take longer than 10 years if you have the same driver and the exact same truck in the 6.2 and 6.7L.
What about people saying they are getting 18-19 on the highway with a 6.2L? Is that full of crap? Because I can't seem to find very many people reporting that kind of fuel economy on the 6.2L. Again go visit that 6.2L fuel economy thread. Lots of interesting info on what these motors are actually getting, even when running completely empty on the highway. Nearly everyone is under 15 mpg's, a hand-full of 16's, and only a couple of people chiming in claiming 18. City driving and towing driving further drops those numbers, and in many cases it's a significant drop.

If you do heavy towing 15k plus pounds then it's a no brainier diesel is the way to go hence why I have one. But if you don't and don't want to spend a lot of money on maintenance and probably repair bills then a gas engine is the way to go. Your info is way off cause you're only comparing one truck. I'm not going just off my trucks but I read a lot of post in the 6.2l and 6.7l sections on this site, Facebook truck groups, friends, etc so roughly a 6.2L will avg 14-16mpg and a STOCK 6.7L will get 15-17. So off those numbers recalculate and tell me how many years it would take for the diesel option to pay for itself.
Do you understand what the word "example" means?

Because I answered based off of this statement: "I personally can't see how anyone can argue lower costs with a diesel, unless they tow heavy often."

So I provided an example based off my own usage vs. my parent's usage. Again, I just stated that based on that example they SHOULD have purchased a diesel rather than a 6.2L. There are times when a 6.2L is more cost effective than a diesel, and there are times when a diesel is more cost effective than a 6.2L. It depends on how the truck is used.

If you're example is based on nothing but EMPTY HIGHWAY DRIVING because that's all you ever do, then you would calculate completely different costs of ownership. Not everyone buys a truck like this and never tows with it.

I have no idea why you are arguing so much over this. The example I gave is based on real-world heavier usage. You're attempting to compare light highway-only driving. Apples to oranges, these are two completely different scenarios. I bought a diesel because I knew that it would be towing often, and heavy. It makes more financial sense given the fuel economy differences between the two engines when they are worked under heavier loads, as well as the performance characteristics. If I needed a truck to haul very light loads in the bed every now and then, and spent the rest of the time on the highway, then yes a gas engine would have been the only choice. But that's not how I use my truck.

Your usage may vary.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:45 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Just a couple of examples, I see quite a few 14-16 mpg like I stated. Not too many avg 10 mpg like you stated.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
There's two claim they get 19mpg so now you've seen it.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well in my 6.2 with a fairly equal mix of pulling a three horse trailer and driving unladen I'm seeing 9mpg on the computer. Loaded 4x4.

But I lol at all this cost analysis. I paid 18'900 Canadian for my '11 a year ago. So according to the window sticker that is still in the glove box. The original owner lost over 40,000 in four years, plus all the extras on the truck. So the mileage/maintenance differences add up to what again? Lol.

It's silly to discuss value, mpg, and the economy of buying a new gasser vs a new diesel. If you're really concerned with value you'd never buy a new truck unless you're looking for a hefty rapidly depreciating write off.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:12 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Just a couple of examples, I see quite a few 14-16 mpg like I stated. Not too many avg 10 mpg like you stated.
The thread is asking for EMPTY HIGHWAY FUEL ECONOMY.

I have clearly stated REPEATEDLY that my parents TOW regularly.

There's two claim they get 19mpg so now you've seen it.
I also stated I saw those claims. Did you not read my post?

If you're not going to bother reading then there's no reason for me to continue this discussion. I'm not here to argue with another member. Your fuel economy will vary, regardless of gas or diesel, and it depends on usage. I gave a single example of when it's more cost effective to own a diesel rather than a gas. There are other examples that can be made where it is more cost effective to own a gas over a diesel. It all depends on how you use the truck.

I can't see how I can make that any more clear. You are obviously beating a dead horse and intentionally trying to incite an argument. Take a step back and re-read.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:47 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I drive a diesel because I like it If someone wants to tell me their gas engine is better they'd better yell, because I can't hear them over the awesomeness of my 6.0 clacking happily.

I do not give a lab rat's white *** in a snowstorm in Canada about if it costs $30 more for oil or $40 more for fuel. I like the power. I like the power band. I like the sound, the smell, and just everything about it.

Anyone who nit-picks over a few grand in fuel/maintenance costs but is entirely ok with the depreciation hit a $65,000 new truck is going to take is trying to justify instead of just admitting they're doing what they want to. Which is perfectly fine, do what you want to. The OP originally just wanted to know the difference in maintenance costs, and there is a quantifiable difference if you isolate the cost for an oil change between the 6.2 and 6.7. The 6.7L is more. And I say it's worth every penny.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:58 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Buy what makes you happy, and what you can afford.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
The thread is asking for EMPTY HIGHWAY FUEL ECONOMY.

I have clearly stated REPEATEDLY that my parents TOW regularly.

I also stated I saw those claims. Did you not read my post?

If you're not going to bother reading then there's no reason for me to continue this discussion. I'm not here to argue with another member. Your fuel economy will vary, regardless of gas or diesel, and it depends on usage. I gave a single example of when it's more cost effective to own a diesel rather than a gas. There are other examples that can be made where it is more cost effective to own a gas over a diesel. It all depends on how you use the truck.

I can't see how I can make that any more clear. You are obviously beating a dead horse and intentionally trying to incite an argument. Take a step back and re-read.
I am reading what you're posting. Obviously you are too but are giving bad examples hence why I quoted you. In your post I just quoted you said it clearly states empty hwy fuel mileage. So why in the hell would you use your parents truck that supposedly tows most of the time as an example? That's why I said you using 10 mpg on a gas engine truck is a false claim. Obviously a empty truck would avg more than that. That's why I said they avg 14-16 mpg. That's empty and 50/50 city and hwy driving. What I've seen from stock 6.7 they avg 15-17 50/50 city and hwy driving.

So I was just pointing out that the example you gave with the fuel mileage and gallons use and how the cost is double for fuel mileage on a gasser was wrong. I'm not here to argue with anyone just want people to post the correct info and not misleading people in buying something they don't need.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:18 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
I am reading what you're posting. Obviously you are too but are giving bad examples hence why I quoted you. In your post I just quoted you said it clearly states empty hwy fuel mileage. So why in the hell would you use your parents truck that supposedly tows most of the time as an example?
I used it as an example because they use their truck very similar to how my wife and I use ours. It is the closest side-by-side comparison that I can find. And it is what my wife and I used to determine whether to buy a diesel or go with a gas truck, because at the time we made our purchase, we were considering going to the 6.2L. In the end, I had to try and figure out what made more sense. In my case, the 6.7L makes more sense.

I did these calculations before I purchased the truck, and again after a year of ownership. The result? I was nearly spot on in my estimation of operating costs prior to buying the truck. Honestly I spent slightly less in maintenance costs then I anticipated, but my fuel economy and miles per year driven were near exact. And I ASKED my parents what they were spending on fuel and maintenance. So if you have issue with those numbers, you're basically calling them liars.

That's why I said you using 10 mpg on a gas engine truck is a false claim.
Oh, a false claim? Really? So I guess his claim is also false:

Originally Posted by Squisher
Well in my 6.2 with a fairly equal mix of pulling a three horse trailer and driving unladen I'm seeing 9mpg on the computer. Loaded 4x4.
It's convenient that you ignored that.

My truck tows frequently. If I want to compare gas vs diesel, I need to see how a gas engine performs under similar conditions. Obviously my parent's aren't the only ones that tow with a 6.2L and get similar results in fuel economy. Those same results that you continue to dispute repeatedly.

Obviously a empty truck would avg more than that. That's why I said they avg 14-16 mpg. That's empty and 50/50 city and hwy driving.
Oh, so now you want me to calculate an EMPTY and non-towing 6.2L, and compare it to my TOWING 6.7L?

What I've seen from stock 6.7 they avg 15-17 50/50 city and hwy driving.
My truck averages better than 15 in town alone. Out on the highway I can hit 18 without trying. Getting to 19 or 20 means I'm easy on the pedal. But I wasn't trying to inflate my own fuel economy either. My truck tows far more than it's ever out on the highway empty. So why should I input numbers that I don't see regularly? Over the course of a year's worth of driving I'm right about 15 mpg's. That's EVERYTHING included. Over the course of the same year my parent's truck is right at 10 mpg's, again that's EVERYTHING included.

You do know you can do your own calculations, right? You can choose to remove whatever towing, loads, winter fuel, or anything else you choose to in order to calculate numbers that make you feel good.

So I was just pointing out that the example you gave with the fuel mileage and gallons use and how the cost is double for fuel mileage on a gasser was wrong.
No. You're basically trying to call me a liar without actually saying it.

My example is based on two trucks with different engines used in a very similar fashion. You want me to compare two trucks with different engines in a completely different use. I have ALREADY STATED REPEATEDLY TO YOU that doing so will yield different results. In some cases a gasser would make more sense and be more economical, in others a diesel would be best. I have not once disagreed with you that different usage will result in different fuel economy and ultimately different amounts of money spent on fuel.

But you continue to ignore that and continue to claim that I'm putting up false numbers.

I'm not here to argue with anyone just want people to post the correct info and not misleading people in buying something they don't need.
It's very clear you are trying to argue. I've lost my patience and so I'm pointing it out very bluntly to you that you are in fact intentionally trying to argue, and I'm pointing out the obvious facts that you are intentionally ignoring in order to continue arguing.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:23 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
LOL someone is butthurt now. It's pointless talking to you cause you're comparisons are not apples to apples. So have a good day/night and keep on giving out false information. I enjoy people's post on them buying stuff and wish they bought the other truck cause they were misinformed.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
LOL someone is butthurt now. It's pointless talking to you cause you're comparisons are not apples to apples. So have a good day/night and keep on giving out false information. I enjoy people's post on them buying stuff and wish they bought the other truck cause they were misinformed.
So no one is allowed to tow with a 6.2L and report overall fuel economy?

That's basically what you've reduced the argument down to. It is ridiculous, which is what I'm pointing out. You are incessantly arguing a losing point because you want to compare two completely different driving habits rather than comparing two of the same driving habits.

To prove what point? I don't know.

So it's not butthurt, it's showing how ludicrous your argument is. I simply have no patience to argue with someone who refuses to read. Case in point, this is from my ORIGINAL post in this thread:

Not everyone has the same use from these trucks, and/or plan to keep the truck for a longer period of time. If you don't tow, or tow light, don't plan to keep the truck long, etc.... a 6.2L is going to be the better option in terms of ownership costs. If you keep the truck longer, do more towing, etc, then at a certain point the 6.7L actually becomes cheaper to own. Everyone is different, and has different needs.
Did you read that part before starting your argument? No, you didn't. You created a scenario in your head and beat it to death. And you're starting to realize that now, hence you're now attempting to backdoor out of the thread.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:02 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,606 Likes on 1,640 Posts
Ok, boys n gurls.....I have had a 6.2 gasser, and currently own a 6.7 PSD
The 6.2 was an F250 (obviously a SRW), the 6.7 is an F350 DRW, both had or have 3.73 gears and pulling the same trailers. So will not be comparing different drivers, but just me driving. The 6.7 AVERAGES about 3-4 mpg better than the 6.2 did, and while pulling with the 6.2, I would generally take it pretty easy to try to squeak a little extra mileage out of it......keeping it around 60 pulling the 5eer or the goose. But with the 6.7, I just set the cruise at 68-70 and go when the speed limit allows.
And FYI, the last time I pulled the 5er with the 6.2, 6.2 was pretty close to the mileage I got!! And on a two lane road in Utah pulling the 5er, I was once down to FIRST gear!!!. So far on this trip....3800 miles so far......my 6.7 is AVERAGING 9.7 MPG, pulling my 41' Raptor, loaded to the nuts......Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin....wind, heat, mountain grades, etc.
Pulling with the 6.2 gasser was like having a job......pulling with the 6.7 PSD is like going for a Sunday drive!
If you can afford the diesel and want it, by all means get it!

Old 07-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is comical and a little pathetic. Pick the truck that suits your needs and budget. End of discussion.

Quick Reply: Ballpark costs for 6.7 diesel maintenance vs 6.2 gas