Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

SKY-CREEPER. A low cost, low space alternative to a TopSide Creeper

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,326 Likes on 1,743 Posts
SKY-CREEPER. A low cost, low space alternative to a TopSide Creeper

About 15 years ago, long before "Top Side Creepers" existed, I needed to remove and replace some loose bolts on the factory turbo.

Rather than build (and have to forever store) an entire separate apparatus to suspend myself above the engine compartment so as not to crack either the degas bottle or my ribs, I thought... why not make use of the lift and support in mid air equipment I already have?

Hence, the SkyCreeper was born in 2000... and kept a secret ever since, until now... since I found an old print (from film) that I could re-snap digitally and post, being inspired by the recent discussion on one of Tugly's multiple concurrent threads on his engine rebuild.

It is simply another (much longer) box tube inserted inside the innermost tube of the engine hoist I already had. I staggered the existing tubes to provide the most evenly graduated support to the extra extension tube. I also carefully sized the width and height of the extra extension tube to be as close of a fit as possible to the internal dimensions of the existing extension tube. My extra extension tube is also thicker, and is long enough to bridge all the way back to the beginning of the main lifting tube.

Since every engine hoist is different, and since even the same brand can be different, depending on year of manufacturer... the specifics of my engine hoist dimensions and extra extension tube are immaterial to anyone considering converting their engine hoist to pull double duty and earn it's keep in the shop. The best course of action is just use common sense. Naturally, holes were drilled and additional bolt pins were supplemented to secure the telescoping stack of tubes within tubes.

For the upper pad, I recycled my retired Lisle Jeepers Creepers, as I had already upgraded to a larger wheeled, lower slung ground creeper. I used Simpson Strong Tie foundation L Plates on either side of the tube and at both ends of the pad, and through bolted them in place.

It was kind of cool to be able to set the EXACT height and location where one wishes to "float" above the engine bay. One should account for weighted settling that could occur before climbing aboard. I've also used plate weights for cantilevered ballast at the post end of the hoist. You might be able to see the aircraft cable and carabiner dangling below behind the post straps. That was used to attach the counterweight.

Way back then (before the Top Side Creeper was invented), I briefly entertained the fanciful notion that there might be a market for something like this... but realistically, the cost of the steel, the cost of shipment (size and weight), and the potential exposure to liability pretty much torpedoed the timid in me that is risk averse.

And on that note... an engine hoist is designed to lift a 2,000 lb. engine, not a 200 lb man. Anything "dumb" like this that you do, you do at your own risk.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:42 PM
AZFX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow thats a great idea that I will definitely steal. One thing I would add is a safety bar that would slide over the ram to lock it in place so that it wouldnt bleed off and lower you on accident.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:45 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Great idea.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:29 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Welllll..... I'ma gunna adapt my crappy creeper with the busted wheels. Fantastic stuff! Great idea!

Hmmm... I wonder if I can rig a sling. Naaww. Turning a wrench would make me spin until I vomit... or kick something expensive. With my luck, I'd knock the hood down on my ***. "Yah shoodah seen it. Stinky ate Tugly."

Old 04-05-2016, 10:46 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts
Good idea, trying to figger out where your legs go though?? Visions of a minor slip on that one bar balance beam and well, you know, that would hurt!

One thing I like to do when doing turbo work etc is release the hood shocks and bungee the hood straight up to an eye bolt screwed into the garage ceiling, like a Mercedes hood opens up.

Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2016, 11:12 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
New Inventive ways. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:28 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Very nice... thanks for sharing!
Next I'd have to rig up a floating table for tools, cans of chemicals and refreshments, and a place to put bolts and parts. Next project?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 411 Likes on 234 Posts
I can't wait to see the blooper vids of some you guys trying to mount that thing by swinging a leg off the front bumper.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:25 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Hey! I resemble that remark!

LMAO!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
I was actually thinking that to get my fat azz aboard, I was going to have to build a harness-type rig from the rafters with a winch to crane myself up and then a lever system to manipulate my legs into position; then somehow (without spilling my beer) shift around my body to land lithely on the pad.
After about 3 tries (and 4 beers), I haul the whole contraption to the dump. Then schedule a chiropractor appointment.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:28 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
I can't wait to see the blooper vids of some you guys trying to mount that thing by swinging a leg off the front bumper.
I'm waiting to see the stepladder at the rear to step onto the beam and balance walking out towards the pad- then slip on the "Nut Buster Bar"

Come to think of it, I don't really want to see that!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:04 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
Then schedule a chiropractor appointment.

Had to do a few of those as well after working on mine...lol
Getting on the thing would be a feat. Need a step stool, otherwise a great idea,,

Last edited by DISLFVR; 04-07-2016 at 06:07 AM. Reason: added text
Old 04-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
...Next I'd have to rig up a floating table for tools, cans of chemicals and refreshments, and a place to put bolts and parts...
...and a tablet mount to have your FTE on hand, and plumbing....

Old 04-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Welllll..... I'ma gunna adapt my crappy creeper with the busted wheels. Fantastic stuff! Great idea!

Hmmm... I wonder if I can rig a sling. Naaww. Turning a wrench would make me spin until I vomit... or kick something expensive. With my luck, I'd knock the hood down on my ***. "Yah shoodah seen it. Stinky ate Tugly."
well Tugly I think I can say I got you beat on that department, Stinky Jr already ATE my arm, up to the elbow (not something I wish to talk much about) and it happened while adjusting the passenger headlamp too...oh well, getting the arm out was more of a fiasco then I needed but I suppose what I get when you got two parents flipping out and a brother who is unsure what to do in that moment in time, but what ever, arm is fine and I forgave Stinky Jr

Old 04-07-2016, 12:49 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I had the hood on my '49 Chevy trap me once while reaching in and playing with the downdraft tube on the 216 inline six. I couldn't get out. At all. Was there about 20 minutes until a neighbor walking his dog happened to spot me...

Quick Reply: SKY-CREEPER. A low cost, low space alternative to a TopSide Creeper