Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke down last night...what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:46 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Coming home last night, hit a pothole in the road and suddenly the truck seems to go into limp mode...lost all power to the aux fuse box (VHF/UHF shut down, GPS and phone cradle power died, dash cam shut down, GlowShift gauges shut down).

Initially I thought the aux fuse box relay died, but the stereo was out, and all gauges but the RPM were flat...turn signal was dim, air bag/oil pressure lights were on, blower motor went from high to barely working.

SCT was still up and I see 9volts...but no battery light on the dash!?

Made it off the road but left the engine running, checked to see if maybe a battery cable was loose...both were fine.

Tried limping it to Pep Boys while the wife called ahead to check to see if they could test the alternator on the engine and if they had one in stock.

Every time the turn signal lit, the engine strained. As we got within a mile of the shop, I couldn't accelerate from a stop and was able to barely get it off the road at an interstate on ramp. Engine was running, SCT showed 7.6volts. At 7 volts it started chugging bad and I had to shut it down.

AAA was able to get it to the shop before they closed. A jump starter was able to get it running long enough to get it into a bay. They opened at 7:30 and I'm first on the list for work.

Could it be anything other than the alternator? Why didn't I get a battery light if the alt died?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an alternator to me, and you just ran out the battery. Weird that the warning light didn't come on though...

Old 04-05-2016, 10:10 AM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob, sorry to hear of the trouble.
Not sure if the V10s have it, but on the 7.3 there's a power junction block on top of the driver side wheel well, about 18" in front of the firewall. I've seen some pictures of those corroded so bad that current flow stopped...
I wonder if the pothole jarring could have broken a lug off of a cable or terminal. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sure does sound like every experience I have had with dying alternators aside from the pothole.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:22 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Coming home last night, hit a pothole in the road and suddenly the truck seems to go into limp mode...lost all power to the aux fuse box (VHF/UHF shut down, GPS and phone cradle power died, dash cam shut down, GlowShift gauges shut down).

Initially I thought the aux fuse box relay died, but the stereo was out, and all gauges but the RPM were flat...turn signal was dim, air bag/oil pressure lights were on, blower motor went from high to barely working.

SCT was still up and I see 9volts...but no battery light on the dash!?

Made it off the road but left the engine running, checked to see if maybe a battery cable was loose...both were fine.

Tried limping it to Pep Boys while the wife called ahead to check to see if they could test the alternator on the engine and if they had one in stock.

Every time the turn signal lit, the engine strained. As we got within a mile of the shop, I couldn't accelerate from a stop and was able to barely get it off the road at an interstate on ramp. Engine was running, SCT showed 7.6volts. At 7 volts it started chugging bad and I had to shut it down.

AAA was able to get it to the shop before they closed. A jump starter was able to get it running long enough to get it into a bay. They opened at 7:30 and I'm first on the list for work.

Could it be anything other than the alternator? Why didn't I get a battery light if the alt died?

Maybe, because you have a GAUGE (meter)??

Old 04-05-2016, 12:47 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
[/U][/I][/B]

Maybe, because you have a GAUGE (meter)??

Uh,
1...you still get the battery light once the volts drop below a certain level
2...the gauges on our rigs are three stage - high, normal, and low.

None of the gauges on a 2000 other than fuel, speed, and RPMs report actual levels, only one of three stages.

AND...as I stated, it was normal, then nothing...so exactly how would the gauge have helped ahead of time? And let's not forget, the SCT reported 13v before the alt let loose.

Maybe leave out the next time?

Old 04-05-2016, 12:48 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Shop called, it was the alternator and it killed the battery on it's way out. Battery was under warranty, but they only had a reman alternator in stock. I'll be shopping for a higher amp one...anyone have any good reviews?

Old 04-05-2016, 04:45 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru

Uh,

None of the gauges on a 2000 other than fuel, speed, and RPMs report actual levels, only one of three stages.

AND...as I stated, it was normal, then nothing...so exactly how would the gauge have helped ahead of time? And let's not forget, the SCT reported 13v before the alt let loose.

Maybe leave out the next time?
Apparently NOT....

Yes they are BUT did it go to low ?? Was JUST funning with you on the question. (is drink ok ??)

Old 04-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User

Deleted by me.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:56 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
OH by the way, When mine went out pulling as I was moving. It crapped out with no warning (that I noticed) & left me on the side of the road with a 20' loaded trailer. Luckily was only 2 miles to run get another battery to get it home. SO in conclusion, I'd have to say Worthless gauge & light on the 2000's.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:42 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Sounds to me like it shorted something out suddenly in the alternator, thus no warning and the draw was enough to kill the battery quickly. Just a WAG.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Shop called, it was the alternator and it killed the battery on it's way out. Battery was under warranty, but they only had a reman alternator in stock. I'll be shopping for a higher amp one...anyone have any good reviews?
What is your standard voltage? My 99 F250 V10 is constantly 13.9-14.0 according to the Scangauge 2 I always run. What other things are you monitoring?

Old 04-05-2016, 10:07 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
I usually sit around 13.8 measured by the SCT. The UHF/VHF reads voltage every time you start it, and it usually reports 13.9, so I trust the SCT is fairly accurate.

On the SCT I monitor Coolant temp, Trans temp, Load, Battery Voltage, Intake Air Temp, and Vehicle Speed.

VHF/UHF (truck was just starting, so 12.8 would be normal with everything turning on at the same time)

SCT:

GlowShift gauges:

Old 04-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Interesting, with my charging system working properly I don't see less than 13.8 even at start up.

What amperage rating is the alternator? Did you get the tow/camper package version? I have been running a Motorcraft reman for the last couple years. Warranty period just ended in November.

Which battery are you running and what is the CCA rating?

Old 04-06-2016, 03:01 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Uh,
I had the same thing happen to me one time with my old 03 Ex. All the gauges died, radio shut off, no battery light came on, and it actually died on me when I was pulling off the interstate. It took all of maybe 2 min for it to die after the gauges went down. I don't trust that battery light at all.

Quick Reply: Broke down last night...what could it be?