1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to order 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:52 PM
carlhwv
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ready to order 350

After doing the research and a lot of discussion we have decided to sell our '13 EcoBoostwith only 22K miles........ for a new 350.......need the extra payload no matter how I sliced it.

Going King Ranch with short box and SRW. Couple quick questions before I place the order if you all would mind firing in:

1. Does anyone use the 4 aux toggles and if so for what?
2. Why a second alt?
3. Snow plow kit to level it out even if I'm not going to plow?
4. Camper package and fifth wheel prep to cover all the towing bases?
5. Aux cab heat...is the cab really that much bigger than my 2002 was?

Anything I should consider to set it up so I can tow as much as possible with SRW?

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:03 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
1) Really anything you wanna power up. Fog lights, rack lights for back, bed lights, ex. I have one hooked for my salter light and one for my roof light for plowing. They are great to have since they are fused and wired and ready

Old 04-04-2016, 09:13 PM
carlhwv
Senior User
Originally Posted by mattymax
1) Really anything you wanna power up. Fog lights, rack lights for back, bed lights, ex. I have one hooked for my salter light and one for my roof light for plowing. They are great to have since they are fused and wired and ready
Sounds good like a keeper. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 PM
camaro609
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
backup camera , 5 th wheel prep and up lifter for sure

got mine a month ago

Old 04-04-2016, 09:42 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
'16s are done now right? Going to have to wait a couple months and then order a '17?

I thought that's what I read.

-J

Old 04-05-2016, 06:54 AM
OntFF
Freshman User
Originally Posted by carlhwv
After doing the research and a lot of discussion we have decided to sell our '13 EcoBoostwith only 22K miles........ for a new 350.......need the extra payload no matter how I sliced it.

Going King Ranch with short box and SRW. Couple quick questions before I place the order if you all would mind firing in:

1. Does anyone use the 4 aux toggles and if so for what?
2. Why a second alt?
3. Snow plow kit to level it out even if I'm not going to plow?
4. Camper package and fifth wheel prep to cover all the towing bases?
5. Aux cab heat...is the cab really that much bigger than my 2002 was?

Anything I should consider to set it up so I can tow as much as possible with SRW?

Thanks for the input guys.
1 - As mentioned, extra lighting is a common one; there's also a way to wire one for a high-idle control, I believe...

2 - To handle high-current loads, like a plow.

3 - Camper package add's the same front springs, I believe.

4 - 5th wheel prep is a must - having the hardware mounted to the frame, and through the box so cleanly, is worth it...

5 - Aux heat is less for the extra space, and more to get you heat faster at start up... it takes the diesel a while to build heat; the aux heater gets the windshield defrosted, and the cab comfortable before the engine's up to temp...

I came from a '13 F150 5.0 to a 15' F350 6.7 - no comparison for towing...

The heavier truck just felt far more comfortable with the camper behind it; lots of power - just got back from a 3500 mile trip from Toronto, Canada to Orlando, FLA and back - even through the mountains of West Virginia, (and I-77 goes up and down a lot...) truck never blinked with 8000# behind it.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:43 AM
MadWolf
Tuned
Originally Posted by CyberJay
'16s are done now right? Going to have to wait a couple months and then order a '17?

I thought that's what I read.

-J

Think I read that the 2017 "order banks" are open on the 13th of this month. Not sure if that means they're open for orders after that, or what.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You could put an order in for a '16 retail, but we are past balance out, so there is a better chance it will get rejected than picked up unless your order happens to fill up a order line. Someone from Ford might do a better job explaining that process than myself.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:04 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the upfitter switches. I don't know if I'll ever use them but since they were a cheap option I thought it was better to have them. I also have the snow plow prep package, I'm not sure if that option was worth while.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:55 PM
carlhwv
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frantz
You could put an order in for a '16 retail, but we are past balance out, so there is a better chance it will get rejected than picked up unless your order happens to fill up a order line. Someone from Ford might do a better job explaining that process than myself.
I have NASCAR buddy that works in the Lexington plant. He said I still have time but I better get on it. Order goes in tomorrow, so I'll let you know. He said they build the equivalent of an entire new plant for the new SD and when they cut over to it, they are re tolling the old plant for the upcoming change to aluminum body vans.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Have it figured out except for the color. Wooohoooo!

Old 04-05-2016, 08:05 PM
GOT-DRT
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The new vans are going to be aluminum? Sorry to go off topic but this is the first I've heard of this

Old 04-08-2016, 08:38 AM
carlhwv
Senior User
Just guessing on thVan...think everything at Ford is moving that way. Dealerships are going to have a big outlay for specialized stuff doe aluminum repair so it just make sense...to me anyway....

Order was accepted, waiting on VIN.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 AM
NWRVR
Junior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Remote start and Aux cabin heater are the two I most appreciate.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:20 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
On the one I just ordered, I got the upfitter switches, 5th wheel/gooseneck prep kit and camper package. Dealer told me not to get the snow plow package if you are not going to use it for a plow because it actually makes the front end sit up a little higher than the rear since it is a stiffer front end. The camper package gets you a sway bar as well in the rear.
To me, these items were a no brainer, especially the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep kit as it is only $370 from the factory whereas it would cost you 3 times that much to have it done after market. Plus, I really like the clean look coming from the factory.
I got the 6.2 gas so I cannot talk to the other items you mentioned.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 PM
carlhwv
Senior User
This is what I was told and what I observed on the lot before I ordered. Everything below is related to SRW SB 4 diesel F350.

1. Snow plow gives truck plow verification and adds a heavy duty alternator which is needed (or dual alternators) for aux cabin heat. Could not tell if front springs are different but it was the least expensive way to get what is needed for extra heat.

2. All trucks I looked at with 5th wheel prep had rear sway bars and none had camper package.

So....I ordered 5th wheel prep and plow package and believe I got the best suspension possible for towing. If I'm wrong I guess I'll need to change it. It's only money.....

Quick Reply: Ready to order 350