1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too big, just right or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:28 PM
scodd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
That truck looks darn nice with those wheels/tires. If it don't rub, drive it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yeah, I 's like to keep it stock, less the tires size. But it's rubbing a little.

Have you had to add spacers or larger springs?

And I wonder if spacers as opposed to next up springs from Ford impacts the warranty?

Old 04-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The springs have very little to do with it other than rate and capacity.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 AM
scodd
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Firekite
The springs have very little to do with it other than rate and capacity.
Ok, but why does everyone keep saying I might need to add a set of plow package springs OR a leveling kit in order to prevent rubbing when using such big tires?

Do they actually mean both?

The springs will increase capacity so a plow could be attached and the front end won't drop much. Won't those higher rated springs also lift the front end slightly?

If they don't then what is their advantage regarding the bigger tires? If no lift is gained, why do some many folks seem to think I might need them now that I am running big tires?

Besides the increase in capacity with bigger springs, won't spacers also lift the front end, while not increasing capacity like the springs?

So just to make sure I understand this.

What is the difference between adding 1" spacers to the front or adding a 1" lift kit?

Aren't 1" lift kits and leveling kits often just 1" coil spring spacers? Or am I missing something. Please explain.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Wizness
Senior User
Pretty sure those wheels were on trucks before 2011. Looks good.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:42 AM
hoss66
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The heavier springs will make the front of the truck sit higher because they wont compress as much as a lighter spring. A 1" lift kit is just a spacer or different springs depending on which you go with

Old 04-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scodd
Ok, but why does everyone keep saying I might need to add a set of plow package springs OR a leveling kit in order to prevent rubbing when using such big tires?
Because people get used to repeating simple phrases. If your truck had a rake to it (front end sits lower than the rear), then swapping to taller springs would address that by eliminating the rake, and I believe the plow springs are all of the taller variety, which is why some people have fallen into the trap of saying those would be the right fit. It would accomplish the same thing as nearly all "leveling kits" and very short "lifts" that simply consist of a spacer/puck for each coil spring, and some include a spacer or taller replacement block for each rear leaf pack as well.

It doesn't look like your truck has a rake to it, which means plow springs wouldn't help you. Whether lifting the truck at all would help--and how much would be required--depends on how and where it's rubbing. Just at full steering lock, right? And only when fully locked in one direction or the other, not both? Can you take a pic of the rub spot? Lifting the truck by one or two inches may or may not really help. Probably not, in fact, but until we know the details it can be hard to say for sure.

I strongly recommend against any kind of wheel spacers in this application. On a Jeep or whatever, it can be OK, but the factory wheels on these trucks are hub-centric and keep the load capacities high. No need to get rid of what you've got. If it's a very minor rub that doesn't bother you, you can probably ignore it safely. If it's a problem, you can also adjust the steering stops to keep it from turning quite as far. It will increase your turning radius a little but shouldn't be noticeable assuming it's not a major rub requiring major adjustments.

In a worst case scenario, you have one of two options: 1) lift the truck way up in the air if it's on a suspension component that would get out of the way when lifted or 2) replace the tires with something slightly narrower. Something more like metric 295mm to 305mm wide should do the trick.

For example, Toyo makes their AT2 tires in an LT 295/65-20, which is a true 35" tire but inflated width is a hair under 12" instead of 12.5" which means it shouldn't rub. For what it's worth, I have those tires in a 295/70-18, and I love them.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:04 PM
scodd
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hoss66
The heavier springs will make the front of the truck sit higher because they wont compress as much as a lighter spring. A 1" lift kit is just a spacer or different springs depending on which you go with
Ok, that's how I understand it. As I've seen leveling kits that seem to be spring and spacers or just one or the other and lift kits with parts listed as springs and spacers or just one or the other.

So, from what I understand at this point and please correct if this is not true.

1. Heavier springs will increase capacity for using plows, heavy bumpers and accessories etc and can also increase lift because of course they will compress less under the same load.

2. Leveling kits and some front lift kits can actually be the same thing and can contain a variety of methods including bigger springs and or spacers.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by scodd
Ok, that's how I understand it. As I've seen leveling kits that seem to be spring and spacers or just one or the other and lift kits with parts listed as springs and spacers or just one or the other.

So, from what I understand at this point and please correct if this is not true.

1. Heavier springs will increase capacity for using plows, heavy bumpers and accessories etc and can also increase lift because of course they will compress less under the same load.

2. Leveling kits and some front lift kits can actually be the same thing and can contain a variety of methods including bigger springs and or spacers.

First, I think that your truck looks great with the new wheels and tires.

You are absolutely correct on point 1 in your post. The snowplow prep package or other heavy service springs would give you a higher spring rate, which would compress less than a lower spring rate under the same load, which appears to give a little bit of "lift" on the front end with all other things being equal. The higher rate springs do not in any way extend the bumpstops or limit the suspension travel compared to the lower rate springs and may cause your truck to ride notably rougher than the springs you currently have. The front GAWR with the snowplow prep is 6,000 lbs as compared to the 5,200 lbs that your truck is.

As for point 2, most level or lift kits are spacers or longer coil springs, but not likely heavier spring rates. You would have to ask each manufacturer of an all spring lift what the spring rates are and compare those rates to the factory spring rates to really get a feel for how much lift you would be getting and how it might affect your ride quality.

If it were me, I would make the necessary adjustments to the steering stops to avoid the rubbing and drive the truck without other modifications.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:50 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
Originally Posted by Super Duty DJ
If it were me, I would make the necessary adjustments to the steering stops to avoid the rubbing and drive the truck without other modifications.
Absolutely this. (But we already covered I like this look).

You already took it wheeling and only had very slight rubbing. I'd say you're good.

-J

Old 05-26-2017, 11:47 AM
scodd
Freshman User
I know this is a bit old, but I thought I would send an update since everything turned out very well.

I really appreciate the advice from all of you.

The speedometer, odometer and TPMS issues were really a hassle so I added a Flashcal F5 and that appears to have eliminated all issues, but I do need to air down to verify. The wheel rubbing is very minimal and I might take some photos and post them to show what to expect. I didn't do anything regarding steering stops but I am considering that. Also, I picked up a single wheel and tire of same type so I have a full size spare. A bunch of folks were saying it wouldn't fit in the spare tire storage space but it fits well with room to spare. I think I could get a 37 up there. Has anyone had the pleasure of successfully stuffing a 37" up there?

Old 05-26-2017, 01:02 PM
Sir Kayakalot
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm carrying a 37" spare under my 2014 F350