6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

The 6.7's new tow mate: 2016 Montana 3790RD

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,186 Likes on 570 Posts
According to that number, Montana is rolling out about 33 RV's a day. Man, that's a big number. The last time I checked, XLR was doing 8-9 a day and many of them were smaller TT toy haulers that go quicker. That plant must be HUGE. No wonder no one knows what the other is doing...

Old 03-29-2017, 11:11 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My old XLR had the same failure, but I got rid of it and have a motor home now. The difference is XLR willingly offered to fix mine. I was out of warranty as well.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 AM
System
Prolocutor
Where did your frame break Dave? Got any pics?

Old 03-29-2017, 11:23 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
No good pics. It broke drivers side front corner. Corner trim from sidewall to under cover around pin box separated, it pulled screws through the front cap. Only when on the truck was it really evident. Bedroom slide was on that side too.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:27 AM
System
Prolocutor
Got it. Mine has a gap from flex that opens and closes along the nose when hooked up. It closes when hooked up and opens when off the truck. Both sides. I know three other guys with XLR AMPs that do the same so I am guessing it's just flex and not breakage. Bob said to try 4" screws under the trim rubber along the whole front. Not sure it will help.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:31 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Yeah, that's different. Mine was fine with weight of the pin box. But the front visually "v'd"when hooked up.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:41 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by dlibson
Yeah, that's different. Mine was fine with weight of the pin box. But the front visually "v'd"when hooked up.
Yep, that's more like how Monty's was. Basically the opposite of mine, Tony's, Stan's, and Joe's. Ours closed up when hitched up. You and Monty had yours open up when hitched. Still not right but hopefully not a frame break like you guys...

Old 03-29-2017, 11:50 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Yeah, hopefully not. Seems more like flex. But you can find frame failures left and right on every manufacturer of over 37' models.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Update in the towing forum...

Old 03-30-2017, 05:13 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
According to that number, Montana is rolling out about 33 RV's a day. Man, that's a big number. The last time I checked, XLR was doing 8-9 a day and many of them were smaller TT toy haulers that go quicker. That plant must be HUGE. No wonder no one knows what the other is doing...
I asked about that today Rodney. The sales rep said they are "shipping" that many this month, but still are 'only' building 18 a day right now. They are shipping ones that had been made to stock.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:20 PM
System
Prolocutor
That sounds closer to reality Monty. I spoke with my buddy who runs XLR yesterday who seemed a bit skeptical of the 33 a day number. He did say there are some brands running 25 a day around him though.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:37 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Here is the latest..

Well, I'm not even sure where to start...I got a call today from the floor manager at Keystone. Remember the one that the case manager said I wouldn't be talking to anymore?
Anyway, she said that she was calling because she had heard I had some 'concerns' over what has been done so far. So I started with the aluminum plating.

I asked why she sent the ones of just the aluminum and not the steel repair to which she responded that all of the steel was intact I tried to keep my composure and asked why she and Shelley both had told, not only me, but the dealer as well, that there was actually a weld broken on the Lippert frame.

She said, no, the only broken welds were in the aluminum. She she had never said there was a break in the weld of the steel, to which I replied, then why did you tell me that you were waiting almost two weeks on a Lippert welder. She then claims that she never said that and that they were waiting on one of their welders to come and repair the aluminum.

So I stated it made no sense as they have dozens of aluminum welders all over their plant. She didn't respond except to say re-emphasize that there was not a weld broken in the steel.

I then started questioning why the aluminum was flexing so much and she said it was the missing wood in the two upper tubes of the left front. She also said that the tech had reported the relief cut under the slide was cut in the wrong position.
She said this was not the first one they have had back with the wood missing that had done the same damage. She explained that by putting the wood into the 3 tubes and then screwing long screws up through them into the top piece of wood made it much stronger. The screws that were in there were way too short because there was only the bottom piece of wood. Those subsequently pulled out.

She said by putting wood in all three and then screwing them together, it basically makes similar to a "laminated beam" in a house. It strengthens the entire area and stops the flex.

Reportedly the production manager of the assembly plant was brought over and shown what was missing and it needed to be corrected on the line. I was then told that the weight of the slide and the framing around the slide was under quite a bit of stress, which makes sense, and that the beam under it was not supposed to flex.

So, I asked the million dollar question why it did! And while I was on that topic, I asked her if all of the studs in the Montanas looked like mine did and she claimed not to have seen them and I immediately sent her the pics that you've all seen.

When she opened them she asked where those studs were and I informed her those were the ones YOUR welder just welded and plated! She said she had never seen any welded like that before and that very well may have been a contributing factor to the entire issue.
I explained that I was not a welder or an engineer, but I'd built homes and welded things myself and would be absolutely embarrassed at such *****ty work. She agreed. I asked her what the chances were that all of them in the camper looked like that and she said all of them would have been caught. REALLY NOW???????

We then started on the AC units that have not been tested or looked at yet and she once again told me the unit would be here by the 6th(Next Thursday!) I reminded her of no air flow and she said if that was the case, most likely the air ducts had come "un-taped"! She said the units will under go their electrical tests for fan speed, draw other factors now done by computer, but also the ducts would then be inspected by camera.

I asked if by chance they had come undone, would the ceiling have to come out? Only a panel or two was her reply, but can be done much quicker than you think. I asked her was the banister wall repaired to which she had no confirmation in the computer file from the techs That mind you was supposedly being done while waiting on "their welder".

She said she would check with them in the morning and call me back tomorrow with an answer. I was asked again where they would be sending the unit. I replied "Georgia!" I was then told it was a two day trip for a driver since they can only drive 11 hours a day, so I asked again if she was sure she would have it here Thursday with the nose & side wall still off of it, the AC units not checked and the banister wall unsure if it secured.

She said, "It would most likely be there". I'm not holding my breath at this point. I truly do not know what to believe. I was more confused after talking to her today than I was before she called. This is truly wearing me down even though I have tired not to let it. Sorry for the long post, but will update when I know more

Old 04-01-2017, 07:03 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Here is the latest..

Well, I'm not even sure where to start...I got a call today from the floor manager at Keystone. Remember the one that the case manager said I wouldn't be talking to anymore?
Anyway, she said that she was calling because she had heard I had some 'concerns' over what has been done so far. So I started with the aluminum plating.

I asked why she sent the ones of just the aluminum and not the steel repair to which she responded that all of the steel was intact I tried to keep my composure and asked why she and Shelley both had told, not only me, but the dealer as well, that there was actually a weld broken on the Lippert frame.

She said, no, the only broken welds were in the aluminum. She she had never said there was a break in the weld of the steel, to which I replied, then why did you tell me that you were waiting almost two weeks on a Lippert welder. She then claims that she never said that and that they were waiting on one of their welders to come and repair the aluminum.

So I stated it made no sense as they have dozens of aluminum welders all over their plant. She didn't respond except to say re-emphasize that there was not a weld broken in the steel.

I then started questioning why the aluminum was flexing so much and she said it was the missing wood in the two upper tubes of the left front. She also said that the tech had reported the relief cut under the slide was cut in the wrong position.
She said this was not the first one they have had back with the wood missing that had done the same damage. She explained that by putting the wood into the 3 tubes and then screwing long screws up through them into the top piece of wood made it much stronger. The screws that were in there were way too short because there was only the bottom piece of wood. Those subsequently pulled out.

She said by putting wood in all three and then screwing them together, it basically makes similar to a "laminated beam" in a house. It strengthens the entire area and stops the flex.

Reportedly the production manager of the assembly plant was brought over and shown what was missing and it needed to be corrected on the line. I was then told that the weight of the slide and the framing around the slide was under quite a bit of stress, which makes sense, and that the beam under it was not supposed to flex.

So, I asked the million dollar question why it did! And while I was on that topic, I asked her if all of the studs in the Montanas looked like mine did and she claimed not to have seen them and I immediately sent her the pics that you've all seen.

When she opened them she asked where those studs were and I informed her those were the ones YOUR welder just welded and plated! She said she had never seen any welded like that before and that very well may have been a contributing factor to the entire issue.
I explained that I was not a welder or an engineer, but I'd built homes and welded things myself and would be absolutely embarrassed at such *****ty work. She agreed. I asked her what the chances were that all of them in the camper looked like that and she said all of them would have been caught. REALLY NOW???????

We then started on the AC units that have not been tested or looked at yet and she once again told me the unit would be here by the 6th(Next Thursday!) I reminded her of no air flow and she said if that was the case, most likely the air ducts had come "un-taped"! She said the units will under go their electrical tests for fan speed, draw other factors now done by computer, but also the ducts would then be inspected by camera.

I asked if by chance they had come undone, would the ceiling have to come out? Only a panel or two was her reply, but can be done much quicker than you think. I asked her was the banister wall repaired to which she had no confirmation in the computer file from the techs That mind you was supposedly being done while waiting on "their welder".

She said she would check with them in the morning and call me back tomorrow with an answer. I was asked again where they would be sending the unit. I replied "Georgia!" I was then told it was a two day trip for a driver since they can only drive 11 hours a day, so I asked again if she was sure she would have it here Thursday with the nose & side wall still off of it, the AC units not checked and the banister wall unsure if it secured.

She said, "It would most likely be there". I'm not holding my breath at this point. I truly do not know what to believe. I was more confused after talking to her today than I was before she called. This is truly wearing me down even though I have tired not to let it. Sorry for the long post, but will update when I know more
Hate to say it, and I know I'm not the first, but time to unload it for something else. When you get it back, Monty, Id trade it in, burn it down, whatever.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:03 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,155 Likes on 1,688 Posts
Monty, Keystone called & said they are giving you a whole new trailer

April fools

Old 04-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,988 Likes on 1,595 Posts
"How do you know a person is lying"........The story changes.

If this bad of workmanship can happen.....it speaks volumes as to the poor skills of the workers......and the non-existent inspections by supervisors.

Very very poor building practices....and little to no Personal integrity.......

Quick Reply: The 6.7's new tow mate: 2016 Montana 3790RD