1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

'Easy Bake' is no more. Needing value of my van for Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 01:20 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can see the engine and trans adding value but not the brake work

Old 04-21-2016, 03:04 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That may be, but then calipers are not classified as 'consumables' by State Farm.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:28 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
Agree with this ^

I think you need to clear your head and take the $1900 offer. It is a 35 year old vehicle. It is literally "worthless" monetarily speaking.

If you want insurance to cover it like a specialty/antique vehicle then you should have bought the special coverage.

Fact is that you used the vehicle as a "normal" daily driver, and you insured it as such.

How much did you pay when you bought it? Probably a fraction of $1900. Then you put many hours and dollars into it so you could make it useful. Now you want State Farm to pretend like it has a reasonable market value.

You couldn't sell that thing for $1900 the day before you crashed it. There's probably 9 people in America that would desire a 1981 Econoline if given the option of a 1991 or 2001 Econoline for the same price.

What you are doing here is fantasizing... And quite probably getting greedy and/or desperate.

Clear you head- and go get the $1900 check.

What a complete load of manure. We all know how you feel about old vehicles. The 81 Econoline is a classic vehicle. It's old enough to be considered a collectors vehicle. And there are a WHOLE lot more then 9 people that would want that van. The 75-91 Econolines have a large following. This van being a manual transmission van makes it a pretty rare vehicle. A very small percentage of all the 75-91 Econolines built were equipped with manual transmissions.

That van is worth more then $1900. I've seen just the clutch and brake pedal assembly sell for $300.00.

And from what I see there is no reason that van couldn't be fixed. Even with the damage that van is in better shape then the van I'm currently rebuilding. That van going to the crusher would be a crime. If it was me, no matter what the final pay out would be I'd buy the van back. The last time I went thru this I think it cost me $200 or $300 to keep the vehicle.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:06 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
I've always found the older Ford vans attractive to my eye, perhaps I'm some sort of weirdo but there's something about the gen. 1 'bugeye' vans and these gen. 3 boxy vans that I've always been fond of. Sure they may not be as fully featured as later vans, or conversion vans but they're certainly easy to service. I caught a glimpse of the repair estimate from Freebird Auto & Paint to State Farm and it reads as follows;
Financial Summary
Parts: $3,930.44
Labor: $2,088.20
Towing: $0.00
Other: $9.00
Total Estimate: $6,027.64
Less Deductible: $500.00
Net Total: $5,527.64

So judging from this I can see why State Farm decided to total out 'Easy Bake' and that previous value $2800 was from Progressive Casualty a few years back

Old 04-21-2016, 04:47 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman75
What a complete load of manure. We all know how you feel about old vehicles. The 81 Econoline is a classic vehicle. It's old enough to be considered a collectors vehicle. And there are a WHOLE lot more then 9 people that would want that van. The 75-91 Econolines have a large following. This van being a manual transmission van makes it a pretty rare vehicle. A very small percentage of all the 75-91 Econolines built were equipped with manual transmissions.

That van is worth more then $1900. I've seen just the clutch and brake pedal assembly sell for $300.00.

And from what I see there is no reason that van couldn't be fixed. Even with the damage that van is in better shape then the van I'm currently rebuilding. That van going to the crusher would be a crime. If it was me, no matter what the final pay out would be I'd buy the van back. The last time I went thru this I think it cost me $200 or $300 to keep the vehicle.
Sorry , it is neither.

Almost every vehicle is worth more in parts than it is together.
I agree it's worth more than 1900 especially with a new motor and trans.
I'd buy it back and strip it.
I would not buy it from the ins. co.
I'd go to the auction.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:57 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by turbogus
I've always found the older Ford vans attractive to my eye, perhaps I'm some sort of weirdo but there's something about the gen. 1 'bugeye' vans and these gen. 3 boxy vans that I've always been fond of. Sure they may not be as fully featured as later vans, or conversion vans but they're certainly easy to service. I caught a glimpse of the repair estimate from Freebird Auto & Paint to State Farm and it reads as follows;
Financial Summary
Parts: $3,930.44
Labor: $2,088.20
Towing: $0.00
Other: $9.00
Total Estimate: $6,027.64
Less Deductible: $500.00
Net Total: $5,527.64

So judging from this I can see why State Farm decided to total out 'Easy Bake' and that previous value $2800 was from Progressive Casualty a few years back
Just because they write it off doesn't mean you need to. You can get used parts a hell of lot cheaper then $4,000 to fix it. It really depends on how much of the work you could do yourself. The most expensive thing I see for the repair would be the paint. But to me it sounds like you've already gave up/moved on from it. I just hate to see a van in the condition that one was in crushed. Especially with the parts it has.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:02 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
I can dig that Ted, if it weren't for my 7 day working week and being on welfare I'd likely get into it but with a deal I'm working on with another rig it seems this may be the way to go IF State Farm quits dragging their feet.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:08 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by vettex2
Sorry , it is neither.

Almost every vehicle is worth more in parts than it is together.
I agree it's worth more than 1900 especially with a new motor and trans.
I'd buy it back and strip it.
I would not buy it from the ins. co.
I'd go to the auction.
That's your opinion. Luckily it's not shared by everyone. It doesn't have to be a Shelby Mustang or something else to be a collector car/truck/van. It is old enough to be a classic. And there are people that collect them. I'd take a 75-91 Econoline over any other van made.

The problem with the auction idea is you need to find out what auction it will be sold at. Then the second issue is it only takes one other person that knows what that is. And it will end up costing more then what the buy back is from the insurance company.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:12 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by turbogus
I can dig that Ted, if it weren't for my 7 day working week and being on welfare I'd likely get into it but with a deal I'm working on with another rig it seems this may be the way to go IF State Farm quits dragging their feet.
I understand your situation. It's just sad seeing a nice savable 75-91 with some great parts die.

Good luck, hopefully you can get a better pay out from state farm.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:20 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Thanks Ted, thier delay in responding, (again) may mean they're reconsidering their position.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:53 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I realize that I've been a bit contrarian (in trying to view things in terms of the contract that the Ins Co has with you). I have owned many vehicles in my life and at times went without any collision or comp coverage in a couple lean periods in my life. Other times I was way underinsured.

I just went with Hagerty on my '91 BMW because they cost 2/3 of what State Farm was charging, and my declared (and real) value is well over double the book value. But they won't insure it as a daily driver. Which it's not. It's been out 3 times this year.

Best of luck for ending up in a good position. I know the big downside for me and my wife in the van was the dang engine cover. If your wife or any other adult has to take a long ride in the passenger seat, I'd bet they will do a lot better in the Suburban.

Take care,
George

Old 04-21-2016, 07:07 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Thanks George, (that's the name of my first cat) Take 'er easy.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:27 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
I understand your situation. It's just sad seeing a nice savable 75-91 with some great parts die.

Good luck, hopefully you can get a better pay out from state farm.
I agree.

That's your opinion. Luckily it's not shared by everyone. It doesn't have to be a Shelby Mustang or something else to be a collector car/truck/van. It is old enough to be a classic. And there are people that collect them. I'd take a 75-91 Econoline over any other van made.

The problem with the auction idea is you need to find out what auction it will be sold at. Then the second issue is it only takes one other person that knows what that is. And it will end up costing more then what the buy back is from the insurance company.
Have you EVER seen a 80's econoline roll across a Mecum or Barrett's auction block?
It's not just mt opinion.
It might be considered special in another 30-40 years, right now, it's not. That is the reality of the situation.

Finding the salvage auction is easy.
Usually they go for well under a hundred bucks. Typically for something that old it's just scrap metal value.

Have you EVER been to a salvage auction?

Old 04-21-2016, 09:39 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by vettex2
Have you EVER seen a 80's econoline roll across a Mecum or Barrett's auction block?
It's not just mt opinion.
It might be considered special in another 30-40 years, right now, it's not. That is the reality of the situation.

Finding the salvage auction is easy.
Usually they go for well under a hundred bucks. Typically for something that old it's just scrap metal value.

Have you EVER been to a salvage auction?

I couldn't tell you what sells at either. I've never had any interest in going to or watching either of them. I don't think either of them decide what is a collector vehicle. They just decide which vehicles people will pay way too much for.

A vehicle doesn't have to be worth a million dollars to be a collector vehicle. Like I said you've got your opinion and I've got mine. Neither of us are going to change that no matter what the other says. So I'll just agree to disagree.

Nope never been to a salvage vehicle specific auction in person. Bid on a couple vehicles on an online salvage auction. But I've been to impound, estate and general merchandise auctions. And have lost out on plenty of vehicles and other items that I wanted because someone started a bidding war. Including an early 80's conversion van with a 3 on the tree manual transmission.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:23 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Fordman, YoGeorge, Vettex, ..

Yes my opinion on older vehicles is well known on this forum. But it's unrelated to the facts of this situation.

ANY 35 year old vehicle in this situation is "worthless" monetarily speaking. The reason is that most reasonable people don't want such a thing for daily activities. It's the very reason Kelley Blue Book doesn't have old vehicles listed... Kelley Blue Book is in the business of daily driver/normal vehicles. "Most people" are in the business of daily driver/normal vehicles.

And the entire point of this thread is to find a way around "the rule" of a major insurance carrier seeing and acting upon said logic. Shameful.

State Farm didn't go into this agreement with TurboGus on the assumption that his museum piece was going to be valued as a museum piece. He's probably paying $35/month for his end of the deal.

And all this stuff about the new engine/transmission "adding value" to the vehicle is ridiculous. It simply brings it back up near its proper value. Big difference.

If I totaled my 2007 E350 one week after replacing the engine would that add value? Not at all. KBB estimates my van at about $5000 based on mileage and condition. An engine (as well as calipers and brakes lines) is a wear item. Parts go bad due to useage and OR time.

I want TurboGus to get a decent payout for his crash. I would love to see him keep the old van and fix it up.

I would cringe to know it going to the crusher. I appreciate old/rare vehicles and actually think they are cool.

Where I disagree is this silly notion of using 20+ year old vehicles as daily drivers.

Wait no- More correctly: using 20+ year old vehicles as daily drivers and claiming it's a good life plan.

Quick Reply: 'Easy Bake' is no more. Needing value of my van for Insurance