1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

'Easy Bake' is no more. Needing value of my van for Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm no body-man, but I am a lifelong car guy. That does not look bad at all.

The fenders appear completely undamaged.

It looks to me like localized damage to the hood, grill parts, bumper, and radiator frame upper/lower (can't remember the name).

Aside from the fact that it's too old to hold any value (even in perfect condition)- it doesn't look like a Total Loss to me. Are you sure the frame is damaged?

I bet you wish you had some slotted/drilled rotors with high performance pads like mine. Might could have saved you a crash.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:36 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fenders are tweaked inward, and about a year ago just for one of the side doors that had a crease at the bottom was $1400!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:51 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
I'm no body-man, but I am a lifelong car guy. That does not look bad at all.

The fenders appear completely undamaged.

It looks to me like localized damage to the hood, grill parts, bumper, and radiator frame upper/lower (can't remember the name).

Aside from the fact that it's too old to hold any value (even in perfect condition)- it doesn't look like a Total Loss to me. Are you sure the frame is damaged?

I bet you wish you had some slotted/drilled rotors with high performance pads like mine. Might could have saved you a crash.
Frankly, those do not matter. All that matters is the pad material.
Slots and holes are just problematic. Think cheese grater and crack starters.

Been there, done that, bought the parts....

Old 04-10-2016, 06:08 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
With that scheissekerl running through a stop sign, cutting me off, then stopping short in front of me at the start of a one lane bridge there was no way to stop in time with ANY brakes

Old 04-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by vettex2
Frankly, those do not matter. All that matters is the pad material.
Slots and holes are just problematic. Think cheese grater and crack starters.

Been there, done that, bought the parts....
On my van I have PowerStop on the front and some other brand on the back. Fronts have dimples and slots, rears have U shaped slots. No sign of cracks - 60,000 miles so far.

I completely agree the pad material is highest importance, but man those slots/dimples must be worth something... Especially on a 7,000lb van.

My race car has slots/dimples ( i actually can't remember which/both... It's a new car I'm having built and I haven't spent much time with it). Slots/dimples must be worth something.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:34 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See my signature?
I've been building and racing since the 70's and won numerous championships, not just the ones listed.
In the old days you needed slots and holes for gassing. They are no longer needed with modern pad compounds..
Nowadays, they are just for looks on street cars.
For racing it's done to reduce unsprung weight and lower reciprocating weight. You also change rotors all the time.
Neither of these reasons are applicable to a van.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:35 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by vettex2
See my signature?
I've been building and racing since the 70's and won numerous championships, not just the ones listed.
In the old days you needed slots and holes for gassing. They are no longer needed with modern pad compounds..
Nowadays, they are just for looks on street cars.
For racing it's done to reduce unsprung weight and lower reciprocating weight. You also change rotors all the time.
Neither of these reasons are applicable to a van.
I've always remembered your signature.
And always thought about you being closer to Florida to help me win championships.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:16 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Hmmm. what was this threads' topic?

Old 04-11-2016, 08:48 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by turbogus
Hmmm. what was this threads' topic?
Some are too eager to reply with something whether its pertinent to the OP or not---why let something like that deter them?

Seems receiving replies and/or getting attention is the main goal, more so than contributing to the topic.

So back on topic ever so slightly---what did you decide to do with this one? As a DIY project it's certainly fixable, the frame being somewhat unknown until it's all apart and can be more completely inspected. Farming it out to a for-hire shop would be ill-advised---not sure if most shops would be interested in working on that vintage of a van.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:32 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
I can dig that JWA I just thought to bring the conversation back within the realm of what I'm having to do next.
As since 2003 I've been working 7 days a week and receiving welfare (food stamp and health) on this commission work I do I have no time for long term projects.... or life, so to speak. Ideally finding another Econoline with the same body would be ideal, then I could use 'Easy Bake' as a doner vehicle. I've already pulled all of the electronic gear out of her and I've got the batteries (IF they are salvagable, big IF that) the relay panel, backup alarm the two Hella headlamp shells and the one remaining Hella Jumbo 220. Not to mention the Freightliner seats and futon.
I found a '91 on Craigslist that was a straight and beautiful conversion van, even the same color but with non functioning AC and CC that I MAY have had time at work to figure out but it sold on Saturday.
The adjuster was going to be here Friday, but of course they didn't show up. Perhaps they're trying to make me sweat, so that I'll take their first offer ~ NO FRAGGIN' WAY.
In the meantime I got the headlights and turn signals working again on my little CJ, got to dial in the carburator though, pretty rough this morning on my 11 mile commute. The rental (that I was paying for, not on my insurance as I found out) goes back tomorrow so the sooner the better on the Jeep.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:26 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
First shot was fired $2079.96 LESS $500 deductable $1579.96 net. I'm holding out for more what with the crate motor and rebuilt by AAmco tranny albeit a few years ago.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:56 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds about right...."for them", problem is they have all the time in the world to settle up and the next offer might be in 3-6 months............

Old 04-11-2016, 04:02 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
It is more than I expected, but I'm holding out for more. According to NADA Guide low retail is $1475 average is $3200 and high is $5275 for this year and model. Had a carb meltdown in my Jeep and it's in the shop now. I'm so damm bummed, when will this run of bad fortune end?!?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JWA
Some are too eager to reply with something whether its pertinent to the OP or not---why let something like that deter them?

Seems receiving replies and/or getting attention is the main goal, more so than contributing to the topic.

So back on topic ever so slightly---what did you decide to do with this one? As a DIY project it's certainly fixable, the frame being somewhat unknown until it's all apart and can be more completely inspected. Farming it out to a for-hire shop would be ill-advised---not sure if most shops would be interested in working on that vintage of a van.
Wisdom at its finest.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:56 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Luckily, so far, I have only had to deal with auto insurance once and that was years ago.
Bought a F150 with new motor for $2,500. Put 1k down and financed the rest. A guy ran a light and hit me in the side and totaled the truck. By the time the insurance company got done I received $1,500..

Now my neighbor from years ago had her van totaled but went to the hospital with back pain. The insurance company was quick to settle with her and she received enough to replace her van with one in a bit better shape. Perhaps a lesson to be learned in that.. Her pain went away as soon as they paid her to replace the van.

Quick Reply: 'Easy Bake' is no more. Needing value of my van for Insurance