Connecticut Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Connecticut in April

Old 04-28-2016, 08:11 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Yeah, we got it back on Tuesday afternoon. The service manager's explanation made absolutely no sense to me.

It's a flex fuel van, and I last filled it up with E85. He claimed that the cam timing was different when using E85 instead of straight gasoline, and that the "cam correlation" was off. He said they reset the computer and updated it with the latest flash and the "cam correlation" was showing as correct, and they think it's fixed. He couldn't explain how it ran great for a couple hundred miles on E85 before not starting both times, and then continued to run great after they got it running.

We'll see...I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. But I don't think they have a clue.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:23 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another govt push that's a failure.
Pay less for fuel with E85 they said.
It will be better for your wallet they said.
It makes less emissions they said.

No, no, don't care. Yes it's less expensive but it doesn't yield the same power per gallon as 87 octane. So to make 20 horse power E85 needs more fuel than 87 octane. Thus getting less MPG. It's bad for small engines and older vehicles. Doesn't store as long etc etc

Old 04-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jbehuniak
Another govt push that's a failure.
Pay less for fuel with E85 they said.
It will be better for your wallet they said.
It makes less emissions they said.

No, no, don't care. Yes it's less expensive but it doesn't yield the same power per gallon as 87 octane. So to make 20 horse power E85 needs more fuel than 87 octane. Thus getting less MPG. It's bad for small engines and older vehicles. Doesn't store as long etc etc
Very familiar with the stuff, I've been running it for years in my GOVs. Don't disagree with any of that, I mainly filled the Transit with it to see the fuel economy difference. I've probably run over 20,000 miles on E85 without a hiccup in my GOVs, and I typically see about ~30% less fuel economy. My current GOV, a '14 Focus, has a noticeable increase in mid-range power when running E85, presumably because the PCM increases ignition timing to take advantage of it.

Anyway, Last fill-up I paid $1.69 for E85, and regular gasoline was $2.09. If I lose 30% of fuel economy I will have paid a bit more overall, but I'm a nerd and wanted to see how it ran. The no-start isn't a characteristic of that, something is wrong with my van. I've run it for too many miles in too many different vehicles to believe otherwise.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening guys.

Tom, sounds like they don't know, like you're saying! Hopefully it's fixed.

I ordered some LED lights for my cap the other day, they should be here soon. They are 8" with 18 diodes so I figure 4 of them should light up the bed nicely. I sold most of my old whelen stock last year, so I no longer had any spare lights/switches hanging around.

I think I am going to get a hold of some 6ga wire to run to the bed instead of the 10ga I have, I found a 1000W inverter hanging around in the garage so I am going to throw that into the bed, or get a 2k or 3k inverter in there for running power tools, it's amazing how many time we end up on the job site where there's either no power or the electrical circuits in the house can't handle some of the saws we use.

I'd also like to wire in an extra battery in the wheel well and get my fuse panel in there, as well as a solar panel on the roof. Was also thinking of getting my self a switch that can control both left and right side banks of lights that I am going to put in, either one side on, or both sides on. Also found a magnetic switch, I think it would be good to wire that in with the manual switch so I can either have it automatically come on when the cap is open or bypass it to have manual control when camping etc. I am turning this into a much bigger project than I wanted but I am cool with that!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Sounds like a project Kyle! The inverter sounds useful for what you're describing. Have you thought about a small inverter generator?

Busy day today. Hannah got her power chair today. We're all pretty excited for her, and we'll be even more so when we can have a convenient way of moving it around. Hoping to have the van modified in the next month or so.

Frustrated at my luck. I'm a Christian, and so I don't believe in such things. But if there were a tire deity he would HATE ME. All four tires on my new Kia look almost new with over 7/32nds tread, but while chasing a vibration I had Fleet Farm road force balance them. One of them is badly out of spec, so I'm concerned that it's a separating belt. This is about four months after popping a tire on my new F150. Guess I'm tire shopping again...

Old 04-29-2016, 06:18 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Morning all.

Tom hope the fix works, but you don't sound to sure they did anything productive at the dealer.

I think we should enlist Kyle and rip the engine out and drop a 6.7 diesel in and that would give you a new bunch of problems. LOL

Camping this weekend and Kathy has her parents coming to the house from Myrtle Beach. So I'll have the campground to myself and she will entertain her family at home.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:50 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Good morning everyone!

A 6.7L would be nice. Come on down Kyle!

Old 05-01-2016, 02:41 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got enough to do as it is haha

Lights came in for my cap yesterday, I think one will light it up plenty, I'll put two in for sure.

Tom, how is the van doing?

Old 05-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Tom
Super Moderator