Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Build Thread: 85 F350 6.9 Crew Cab

Old 03-31-2016, 06:54 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Build Thread: 85 F350 6.9 Crew Cab

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-crew-cab.html

So I am starting a new thread. Here is my old one, before I took a break from my truck for awhile to get through school. Anyway I have had her back for awhile now and been puttering on her quite a bit. But now that summer is hear I figured I would start a build thread because I hope to increase the pace now that I can work outside comfortably. Also I figured I spend more time in the Pre-Power Stroke Forum anyway.

Well I wont do the whole list of things I am going to do right now but here is the Major stuff.

Finish my front axle swap.
Here's my Dana 60 after a quote of POR15, I now need to clean all the sand out of her from blasting and order all the internal rebuild parts from NorthernDrivetrain.com and get the steering linkage and finish installing.

New Injectors
The truck has been running ruff and its time. Nuff said, I need to give Justin a call at IDIPerformance.com

Turbo
Picked up a turbo off a 94 a couple monthes ago from the junkyard so thats happening.

New Injector Pump
I was holding off on this till I got the turbo cause I wasn't sure how to buy it. Also coming IDIPerformance.com

Engine Rebuild?
Plan on doing a compression test and leak down test first thing, just so I know what I am working with. I don't actually hope I *need* to do it this summer but if i do I will likely just buy a spare motor from the junkyard and start their so my truck isn't layed up long and it would still go in after all the previous things.

ZF5 + Brownie
This is probably one of the most exciting things, I haven't confirmed all the details yet but if it work I would like to mate a 3 speed brownie behind a ZF5 and infront of my transfer case and run it off linkage to a 3 on the tree shifter.

Plow
I picked up a plow back in November and I never had a chance to get it on the truck, but luckily we had a mild winter. My plan for this though is I already swapped my PS pump to a Saginaw so I can run the hydraulics off the PS.

Anyway it just cut off my limit of image uploads so that probably a pretty good place to start. I got some other small projects I will list later, like my on board air York compressor and 20 gallon tank that still needs to be mounted to the frame rail.

Cheers,
Devin

Old 03-31-2016, 06:56 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Old 03-31-2016, 07:12 PM
mg94mg94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribing

I've always wanted to do the brownie box between the transfer case and transmission.

My only question is, why a column shifter? It's much easier to shift a floor mounted non-syncro box than a column mounted. Also, aligning your linkages would be a pita. Just my 0.02.

Really look forward to seeing progress.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 AM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea cool ZF5 OD tranny plus an extra overdrivin' shush box would deff be sweet on the freeway ..

maybee drop them rps down to 1400 .. . 35 mpg range maybe ??

anyway gonna be easy on the gas hand

looking forward to seeing some york on board air tips ..

thats' also a mod i eventually plan on doing ..

++ congrats on the solid axle score and turbo

Old 04-01-2016, 03:44 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Leroy,

Yea id like to say I know what I'm doing with the tranny setup, but id be lieing. My thought though is if there wasn't enough floor space I know that there is a column shift that can be had off a similar year truck that would hopefully go in relatively easy.

I've never actually driven a non-sychro granny before either.

Devin

Old 04-02-2016, 04:37 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Finished wiring lights into my tool boxes today. The nice part is they are led so I could leave them running all day and not kill the batteries.

I also plumbed in my Racor heater filter / water separator. I believe its a 690r 1230. I didn't wire up the heater yet, since its spring, ill do it later. I also removed the original filter, and got rid of the return line that came off it.

Oh does anyone know if I should be concerned that the filter is now before the lift pump? I wasn't sure about its ability to pull fuel but it seems to be doing alright. Plus I mounted it where the ok factory water separator was.

Cheers,
Devin

Old 04-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Stu Leggett
New User
I'm new to the site. Also have an '85 6.9 DRW I'm thinking of restoring. Just subscribed to your thread so thanks for the inspiration!

Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stu Leggett
I'm new to the site. Also have an '85 6.9 DRW I'm thinking of restoring. Just subscribed to your thread so thanks for the inspiration!
I swapped the DRW in, it was quite the headache. If you look back to my original thread about buying the truck you'll see.

Anyway here are some more pics of the boxes lit up at night and putting up my 20 gallon tank for the OBA

Devin

Old 04-02-2016, 09:38 PM
85F350IDI
More Turbo
Subbing love the build

Old 04-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
yea i don't know if you can shift a non synchro gear on the fly .. maybe a smooth double clutch job will do it .. i haven't driven one either .. but maybe you would have to select over/under drive in park ..

just a quick search and discussion on the brownie .. i didn't know anything about one

Brownie under/overdrive opinions | BinderPlanet

seems some like the idea and some don't .. would i install it ??

you bet i would ..

over / underdrive is waay cool .. and i hope it fits ..

nice racor filter .. and second that with the coolant filtration .. is there any threads on the coolant filter setup ?

i am running almost filterless .. so at some point i may do this kinda stuff .. looks nice and added protection is a big plus ..

if i'm not mistaken .. i spy a york compressor and muff in one of those pics :0

cool tank .. inflating tires and running basic air tools is awesome .. but are you planning on installing semi truck horns ? train whistle ? also ??

.. lookin' good

Old 04-03-2016, 03:23 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
You can shift the brownie on the fly, but you do have to double clutch.

I didn't write anything up on the filter setup, but I believe if you search "idi coolant filter" you'll find a guys website, I think its diesel warden or something.

Yeah the York has been in for sometime now, I just never finished hooking it up. I'm just gonna use it as my regular tool compressor. I probably wont, but I would like to put a pulley between and push the RPMs up for it so when I am at idle it would be moving little faster.

Devin

Old 04-03-2016, 11:52 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User

Finally got around to swapping my Speedo for the JY one with trip. Set them both back to zero too, gonna send the old one to eBay.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 PM
Ian!
New User
Looks good

Old 04-04-2016, 05:16 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Finally got around to rekeying my door locks to my ignition cylinder. I picked up some spares at the junkyard and ordered a new door lock set. All ready to go back in the truck though. PITA though. Rekeying Ford Locks

Cheers,
Devin

Old 04-05-2016, 07:50 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
So I am going to order injectors hopefully this week from idiperformance.com but I also want to order the return line kit, but I hear a lot about olives, do the kits include everything I need to replace when I replace the lines, I would rather update all the fuel line related stuff and not have to worry about it.

Does anyone know the name of the parts involved and there function in a return line refresh?

I was thinking, I wish I was good at illustrating, like with a fine tip sharpie or something, cause there would be such a use for someone who just illustrated diagrams on auto forums, in addition to whats already out there. I bet for someone whose good at drawing could draw up a simple diagram at the drop of a hat. Whats the saying *A pictures worth a thousand words*.

Cheers,
Devin

** http://www.idiperformance.com/store/..._Line_Kit.html ** This is the kit I am talking about

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build Thread: 85 F350 6.9 Crew Cab