Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Trouble with BF Goodrich/Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Vineyarder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with BF Goodrich/Michelin

So just spent the day trying to rectify a issue with BF Goodrich and needless to say they wasted my whole day and 110 bucks of my hard earned cash. Purchased a pair of BF's 275-70-16 rough terrain while in the restoration of my 99 F250 planing to purchase the next pair when I was ready for the road only to find my tire was discontinued and nowhere could i find a match. Called Bf Goodrich and they offered me a free replacement set (or so I thought) if I could get to a qualified store with the tires, so popped the rims and tires in my wagon and headed out, boat ride $68.00 I live on a island, then 50 mile hike, and a wasted day considering all the travel time required, get to the store and after a few phone calls to Goodrich I am told I needed to have the truck with the tires mounted or they wouldn't even consider a swap, never told me that in the beginning even though i told them the truck was being repaired and not driveable. Anyway I have had it with BF Goodrich /Michelin but still have my brand new Rugged Terrain tires. My question, as I understand about mismatched tires on 4 wheel drive, but, since I have to keep the BF's was wondering if anyone had any ideas about finding a matched pair( different brand) that might work in unison with the BF's. In my search it appears even a slight difference in height can screw up your front end, so looking for some insight as this is the first time I had to confront the issue and as #$&@% I am with BF Goodrich I am not going to fire sale a brand new pair of tires. Anyway any leads for help would be appreciated as it appears I am about to learn more about tires,mismatched or otherwise. Thanks

Old 04-01-2016, 10:30 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I think you're wrong to blame BFG for this. I can't for the life of me understand why you would know that you need four new tires, and buy them in pairs months or years apart from each other. This makes absolutely no sense to me. If it's important to you that all the tires match then maybe you should have bought them all at the same time.

Do you expect BFG to keep old stock around in case someone comes in and for some inexplicable reason wants two discontinued tires? Do you expect them to never update their products? Likewise, it's not BFG's fault that you choose to live on an island, making a trip to the store such a difficult and time-consuming task. If I was BFG, I wouldn't do a thing for you.

BTW it's completely fine to run mismatched tires on a 4x4. It won't hurt anything.