Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

Transit Connect Van Black Panel Painted

Old 03-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Transit Connect Van Black Panel Painted

I don't think I've shared this yet. Had a customer request we paint the side panels of their Transit Connect to body color, turned out really great I think. Of course even though it's a factory order, the customer ended up refusing delivery because I wouldn't let him circumvent a few legal requirements he was trying to skirt so now it's on my lot, but I think it stands out as a nice upgrade. I think my cost was about $200 bucks. Would love to see one in a contrasting colors if any of you are feeling adventurous. Body shop used a PPG Flex Primer so it would last, but otherwise it was straight forward.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:48 PM
ToasterVan
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Frantz Question.. In this case why didn't you follow through and do the front and rear bumper covers?. It would be a very different van color when most of the titanium are painted this way.. the short version or SWB is a very unique van in it's self.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:24 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Frantz;

Very nice! Thank you for the push and the picture.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:43 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
I just painted what the customer requested although I suggested ordering an XLT so he could get the bumpers factory painted to match. I am really glad he didn't want the whole thing painted as I would probably be buried much deeper in the car. It's not a cost I can easily pass on.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:16 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Frantz;

But nice of you to do. A form of community service. Very nice.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
I'm a naive idealist in business. Sure I want to make money, and I do, but I also always liked the idea of local business (from the aquarium shop, to the grocery story, to the car dealership), existing with the intent on earning profit on value adding, not simply by being a middle man. The truth is most customers don't want to pay for value adding. I don't even just mean with a higher price number. Loyalty would be worth more to mean that the $200 cost of doing this paint. Loyalty doesn't mean you have to buy every car from me, but at least give me a shot each time! There are some shady dealerships out there, not too hard to sniff out. Even if they truly did save a few hundred bucks for you (by ripping off the folks that don't catch em and call em out), wouldn't it be better for society to pay a little more at the shop that treats folks right? Sorry, getting philosophical here, if I don't watch, it'll turn political.

Umm.. yes, it looks nice! Get an XLT for matching bumpers and do it too!

Old 04-01-2016, 08:45 AM
ToasterVan
5th Wheeling
Alright I'll bite.. how much would you charge me to have the front bumper cover painted or swapped with an already painted front bumper cover (white) I would assume it would be easier to swap a pre-painted bumper cover with us instead of a very time consuming repainting process. Could this be done within a day trip to your dealership?.. and yes I know where your dealership is based on the image above.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
I am willing to bet the panels don't come painted, and second I'm willing to bet the panels aren't cheap, so painting what you have is likely cheaper. While obviously I would love to have your business for the dealership, I don't think we could do it any cheaper than your local body shop if we are a day trip away. Just make sure they get the right primer that can flex with the plastic. I could ask the body shop if you want, but I wasn't trying to solicit business, just share ideas! I also know our shop doesn't like promising same day painting because of various cure times and stuff. I gave them the keys when the truck came in and a week later I got it back from them. I would guess most shops would want it for at least two days for removal, prime, cure, paint, cure, clear, cure, install (or whatever the process is, I'm not a paint guy).

Old 04-01-2016, 09:06 AM
ToasterVan
5th Wheeling
According to my search.. the pre-painted or primed bumper cover for the 2014-current Transit Connect can run anywhere from $259.00 (rock auto) to $1,500 Joe blows autoshop down the street. The reason I've checked into this.. is because our factory bumper cover has micro textures which can't be painted or wrapped, thus I would need a smooth finish/painted or primed bumper cover. I've even considered slightly damaged bumper covers.. to no avail.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Well with the flex primer it can be painted. That's what they did on the side covers (with the same micro textures). Wrap wouldn't work well, as you do need that smooth surface. The right primer sanded down creates the surface needed for either wrap or paint.